Surfboard 4100 using e-net + USB?

Unoid

[H]ard|Gawd
I am wondering if Instead of buying a router, can I plug two computer into the surfboard 4100 modem via ethernet and also USB cables and somehow use the internet on both computer like that?

Nope and with broadband, you pratically have to have a firewall. Without one, it's like leaving your door to your house unlocked in NY city while you go off on vacation.

Software firewalls are cheap and all but, they tend to have a lot of compatibility issues.

Get a router, they are cheap, allow many computers and provide you with protection.

Aight thanks for the replies.

speaking of firewalls, I've never used one and I've had no real problems.

My Dad had zonealarm until recently when I replaced it with a Linksys router because of incompatibility issues with Zonealarm and he would get up to 600 scans a day and up to 20 attempts at trying to get into his system.

Having broadband with no firewall is VERY VERY BAD. It is SOOOOOO easy for someone to plant a program on your system and your system then be used to do DoS attacks against other computers and you would never know it.

That's one of the problems with the net now. People don't have, use or know about using proper protection. They have always on broadband with no firewall and they open attachements in email or have no anti-virus protection.

That's what I said too when I baught my Dad his Wireless Linksys. He only has 1 system but, for a little more, I could get him a wireless. Never know when he may decide he wants a Laptop.

Back