Surround setup for X-Fi

chiablo

Limp Gawd
This has probably been covered before, but I couldn't find anything right off.

In the X-Fi control panel, I have it set to Headphones with CMSS-3D enabled. However, what should the speaker settings be set in Windows speaker settings? If I set it to headphones there?

Also, in Half-Life 2, there's an option to set your number of speakers there, should I set that to Headphones as well, or should I chose 5.1 in order to have it utilize the 3d sound?

You should be able to set all your speakers using only the Creative programs. I use the THX setup to calibrate and set up my surround sound

Do not set settings in Ctrl Panel, they are effectively bypassed by this sound card.

As for in-game settings I would go for 5.1. to have it properly emulated on headphones with the right CMSS

Nice thing that I found out about my X-Fi is that settings are saved separately for each mode. So you can set card for headphones for gaming, but you can set it to 5.1. in entertainment mode to watch movies using your 5.1. speakers. That is really handy.

Just what I wanted Jim.

I had my HL2 settings set to 7.1 just in case, but I figured it was a bit overkill.

Back