Survey of 32" 1080p monitors

absurd. Are you implying everyone with 24" inch monitors are wasting their money?

I have an excellent quality 26 inch Acer 1920x1200 PC monitor.....WMV HD files with specs of 1280x720p with a 6000-8000mbps look as good if not better than some of my native 1080i recordings, however, this would change as the screen size improved as 1080i is being compressed by virtue of the size of the LCD.

In Australia, there are hundreds of stores that display 30-50 HDTV's, often with 40's and 42's next to 46's......the 46 KICKSASS......it's like that's the first size that really shows off HDTV.....that said, I'm certain 1080p is of value on 40inch HDTV's as well, as I've seen both 768's and 1080p 40's next to each other and was surprized at how blurry the 768 set was compared to the crystal clear 1080.

image001-1.jpg

If you didn't read the previous links about resolution, then you might find the above image interesting. It shows the effects of resolution. If you sit back 15 feet, you see a different image.
http://bitlockers.com/Blog/?p=300

what am i suppose to be looking at here, what does this image has to do with resolution. So you are telling me all high resolution shows albert and all low resolutions show marilyn. Why couldnt they do it the other way around I rather see marilyn in high resolution. Sure albert probably has a beautiful mind but I wouldnt look at him too long. Plus im pretty nearsight, next to blind so the image you provide looks like an offspring of albert and marilyn. :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone here use a LN32A650? I am trying to find a good 1080p display to use as a computer monitor for everday use plus gaming. I also want to have such a display if and when i decide to get HD signal/bluray drive.

Lol you know what my first question is for the LG70.

Input lag. Better be 1 frame or less.

this is exactly the sort of discussion/thread I have been looking for for a while. anyway I'm curious about this LG70 as well because there's pretty much no info on it, the decision for me is the LZ800 vs RV530U vs LG70. I've been leaning towards the toshiba but I would like more information/reviews on the LG70 if anyone can find some.

and don't let this thread die. please.

is anyone gonna get the new sceptre 32 1080p tv for $650 at costco?

I was looking at buying the toshiba 32 for my dorm but this sceptre is tempting

anyone have any ideas if it will be any good?

BTW how good is the Sceptre brand

what's the reason that these 32" 1080P LCD TV are still so expensive compared to larger size LCD Tv ?

Because they are 1080p screens and not many have been out before this year besides the Sharp tv

And this is a really good solution to use as a pc monitor and tv while not having to buy a ginormous tv set

the decision for me is the LZ800 vs RV530U vs LG70. I've been leaning towards the toshiba

What's the advantage of the toshiba over the panasonic that is making you lean towards the toshiba? I was interested in the panasonic (for mainly PC use) and was wondering how these panels were against one another..

I plan on buying the Panasonic when it is available at NewEgg because it's an IPS panel with little input lag, from what I've read. I plan on using it almost entirely for computer, movies, and gaming purposes. I would go for the Samsung if it had an IPS panel.

i am typing on 37lz800 panny right now. Loving it, i am sitting about 4 feet away and its perfect. when i watch blu ray , just recline back and itll be perfect distance for 1080p. I have research hardcore against samsung roshiba sharp and sony. I pick panny because of picture is more vivid then others and blacklevel is better. Comparing it at the store. As for input lag i dont know about others but theres no judder, lag or blurness so far playing blu ray movies , TFT2, AOC and COD4. I would highly recommend this monitor. the only thing this monitor dont have is PIP which all the others do but dont know if it play HD on pip. GL and if you guys have any question on 37lz800 i would gladly answer. Oh ya i havent even calibrate it yet , so result would be even more better if i calibrate it.

Heh questions?

I guess what settings are you using first and foremost? And some pics too, please :D
When I played with it at the Tweeter store, I found the the colors were DRAMATICALLY different than the XBR6 right under it, and the other TVs nearby (probably other Sammy's/Sony). I tried "Game", which is probably what I'd be using, and something was definitely off about the colors.

Compared to the Sony, the 32LZ800 was a bit more red. Panny to Sony, the Sony had more of a yellow tint in comparison, and overall the colors were muted. I have to say, my first reaction was liking the Sony better b/c the neon-like *pop* was a bit startling. However, I would NEVER consider the Sony b/c I have heard it has atrocious input lag.

There was some conjecture that Samsung has improved on the input lag (particularly with the later 550 or 650?)...but those are still VA panels. The best, I would hope, is something like what the LG 246 got - which is ~avg of 20ms (meaning up to 2 frames, as little as 1 frame). Which is ridiculously good for VA, but overall, still quite slow - if you consider that IPS's are 16ms (1 frame, MAX).

i dont use any of the panny settings, as vivid is to bright and game mode is too dark. i use custom, 1 for movies and computer use and 1 for gaming. movies and gaming is almost like vivid mode but a notch down, and gaming is almost like gaming but a notch up. Xbr i mess around with it at circuit city and the color is lil dull compare to lz800. but its still a fantantic monitor for movies. basicly when i compare it was like this, sony xbr6 is dull to samsung and samsung a lil dull to lz800.

I just read over at avsforum that the Panny 32LZ800 does not accept anything other than 1080p over HDMI. If you play any legacy games that won't run at 1920x1080 resolution, then you might want to take that into consideration. You wouldn't be able to play those games across a DVI-HDMI cable on that TV.

I just read over at avsforum that the Panny 32LZ800 does not accept anything other than 1080p over HDMI. If you play any legacy games that won't run at 1920x1080 resolution, then you might want to take that into consideration. You wouldn't be able to play those games across a DVI-HDMI cable on that TV.

I'm wondering if this is what someone meant by overscan on the HDMI. And I asked specifically about non-native resolutions (especially 4:3 and scaling) - nobody answered -_-

Is anyone here that uses such a 32" 1080P lcd monitor and sits 4 feet (1.20 cm) from it, and can comfortably see the text on this forum?

I'm sitting about two and a half feet from it and yeah :) 32" is definately the sweet spot for me. 37" would be too big.

Is anyone here that uses such a 32" 1080P lcd monitor and sits 4 feet (1.20 cm) from it, and can comfortably see the text on this forum?

I think you just kind of get used to the bigger size, start to appreciate it, and might even find yourself sitting a bit closer...

As long as you sit back about 4-5 feet tvs are fine for computing, but dont expect to get up close n personal and see all the intrecate detail in a picture.

I am trying to decide between a 32" Sony XBR and a 32" Sharp GP3. Anyone seen either of these in action, gaming or pc wise? I have a 32" Bravia right now that I'm trying to sell to upgrade that works great as a monitor. I just want something thats 1080p for gaming. If anyone knows a good TV with a great refresh rate let me know.

why are you pushing for a 32 inch tv,,, why not a 30 inch dell or apple, and get higher resolution?

You really don't have to goto every thread that remotely sounds like one about using 32 HDTV's as monitors and comment how a 30 inch Dell or whatnot is much better than using a 32 inch HDTV. For one 30 inch monitors are more expensive and requires better hardware to power PC games because of its high resolution ( which essentially increases the amount of money needed).

In fact higher resolution is not always better: it is highly situation and person dependent. When I code, I would want more screen real estate (having multiple .cc and .h files open side by side as well as a terminal somewhere for quick compilation). However, IMO I would prefer the lower resolution desktop for everyday use simply because everything would be too small for me. I was willing to sacrifice some resolution for the added benefit of being able to code a few feet back in my bed. Doing this on a 30 inch monitor would be disastrous with the excessively tiny font size. The HDTV comes with an added zest of having the native 16:9 ratio makes watching movies and playing console games very enjoyable.

I got a HDTV to use as a monitor despite the fact that I will be coding and doing some light 3D modeling using Maya. The important thing to note is that this is all personal preference and there is no best solution. So please stop trying to convert people to buying 30 inch LCD's because your preferences and expectations for your uses were not met by the 32 inch HDTV. This could have been due to the model type that you purchased or simple preferential dislikes. Nevertheless, orafalcons clearly stated that he has a TV already that he enjoyed the experience with it.

You really don't have to goto every thread that remotely sounds like one about using 32 HDTV's as monitors and comment how a 30 inch Dell or whatnot is much better than using a 32 inch HDTV. For one 30 inch monitors are more expensive and requires better hardware to power PC games because of its high resolution ( which essentially increases the amount of money needed).

In fact higher resolution is not always better: it is highly situation and person dependent. When I code, I would want more screen real estate (having multiple .cc and .h files open side by side as well as a terminal somewhere for quick compilation). However, IMO I would prefer the lower resolution desktop for everyday use simply because everything would be too small for me. I was willing to sacrifice some resolution for the added benefit of being able to code a few feet back in my bed. Doing this on a 30 inch monitor would be disastrous with the excessively tiny font size. The HDTV comes with an added zest of having the native 16:9 ratio makes watching movies and playing console games very enjoyable.

I got a HDTV to use as a monitor despite the fact that I will be coding and doing some light 3D modeling using Maya. The important thing to note is that this is all personal preference and there is no best solution. So please stop trying to convert people to buying 30 inch LCD's because your preferences and expectations for your uses were not met by the 32 inch HDTV. This could have been due to the model type that you purchased or simple preferential dislikes. Nevertheless, orafalcons clearly stated that he has a TV already that he enjoyed the experience with it.

Amen

I am trying to decide between a 32" Sony XBR and a 32" Sharp GP3. Anyone seen either of these in action, gaming or pc wise? I have a 32" Bravia right now that I'm trying to sell to upgrade that works great as a monitor. I just want something thats 1080p for gaming. If anyone knows a good TV with a great refresh rate let me know.

Suggest looking at models from Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic. The Sharp uses a proprietary multi-pixel arrangement that isn't necessarily optimized for the production of computer text or imaging. (I have to hedge my language a bit now, because the S-PVA tech used by Samsung and Sony apparently also uses a kind of multi-pixel arrangement as well, but S-PVA is widely used and accepted in various computer monitors. And anecdotally, from my purchasing experiences, the Samsung puts out noticeably sharper text than the Sharp.)

And the Panasonic is notable for using an IPS panel. (But you'll have to weigh that against the rest of the package. It's a newer TV and less is known...I vaguely recall some reviews having some concern with black level and some non-defeatable settings...)

The Samsung and perhaps a version of the Panasonic(?) come with a glossy, mirror-black like, screen finish, that I very much like. (It's very clear, but it can be quite reflective in a bright room...)

The Sceptre is $600 shipped at NewEgg now.

I'm pulling my hair (what's left anyways) trying to make a decision. I'll probably wait till at least Black Friday to see if I can get an awesome deal, but I need some more guidance. I've been following this thread since very early this year.

I want the best 32" 1080P I can get (also considering price) for PC gaming. I'll also be using it for web/text, so I guess the Sharp is a no-go. I might watch some movies on it, but I mainly watch movies on my projector.

I don't have a good B&M stores near me, so I need some good advice.

The Sceptre looks very interesting at it's price point, but I'd be willing to pay more for better quality.

I'm confused on which TVs have 120Hz support in the 32" size. And will it make a difference w/ PC gaming if the TV can't accept a 120Hz signal anyway? I thought I heard that there would be a TV coming out soon that does accept a 120Hz signal...anybody know for sure?

Can anyone help me narrow down the choices?

Sceptre
Samsung 550 or 650
Sony
Panasonic
Toshiba
LG

The Sceptre is $600 shipped at NewEgg now.

I'm pulling my hair (what's left anyways) trying to make a decision. I'll probably wait till at least Black Friday to see if I can get an awesome deal, but I need some more guidance. I've been following this thread since very early this year.

I want the best 32" 1080P I can get (also considering price) for PC gaming. I'll also be using it for web/text, so I guess the Sharp is a no-go. I might watch some movies on it, but I mainly watch movies on my projector.

I don't have a good B&M stores near me, so I need some good advice.

The Sceptre looks very interesting at it's price point, but I'd be willing to pay more for better quality.

I'm confused on which TVs have 120Hz support in the 32" size. And will it make a difference w/ PC gaming if the TV can't accept a 120Hz signal anyway? I thought I heard that there would be a TV coming out soon that does accept a 120Hz signal...anybody know for sure?

Can anyone help me narrow down the choices?

Sceptre
Samsung 550 or 650
Sony
Panasonic
Toshiba
LG
I do not recommend the Sceptre, or if you must try it for yourself, get it from Costco. The black crush killed this monitor, or maybe I didn't get the settings right, although I tried over both the VGA and HDMI along with a few hours playing with color settings.

Bestbuy has the samsung550 for 899.

But something to think about...at least with samsung is if you step up to the 40" model you get more Contrast ratio out of the same model number

32"550 = 15,000:1
40"550 = 30:000:1

32"650 = 15,000:1
40"650 = 50,000:1

I do not recommend the Sceptre, or if you must try it for yourself, get it from Costco. The black crush killed this monitor, or maybe I didn't get the settings right, although I tried over both the VGA and HDMI along with a few hours playing with color settings.

I figured that might be the case. The price is just too low for it to compete w/ the big dogs. The NewEgg reviews are good, but I don't trust them too much.

However, this NewEgg review caught my eye:

Pros: It's a good value for the price.
When the picture settings are adjusted correctly, it's
a really very nice image. Broadcast Studio HDTV High Quality, well lit shows, and outdoor events, are stunning.

I worked in the TV and Computer Repair field for over 35 years, and now
am a Design Technician, and Scientific Research and Development TECH., so I
think I know how to adjust a HDTV :) This is valuable information FREE!

At least try it in the "Custom" settings of the "picture Mode" menu option,
for the "Picture" menu. (see: bottom of review for settings)

Cons: Some picture issues, see my entire review at pricegrabber.com (as soon as I can write it, :)

Search for SCEPTRE 32" 1080p LCD HDTV - FullHD

Other Thoughts: Try these settings and tell me if your set looks better than the pre-sets;

In the Picture settings menu option;

Picture Mode = Custom
Contrast = 23
Brightness = 69
Saturation = 30
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 43
Color Temp = Warm

In the Setup section;
Backlight = 60

You may be wondering why I chose to use the WARM color temp setting and
not NORMAL (default setting of set)

I noticed WARM took away that slightly greenish tint to blond hair, or
other subtle shades, when viewing Studio Broadcast High Budget Shows...
like the News, Oprah, or even Baseball, and sporting events, outside or
well lit inside.

So, that's it. This should give you a picture as you've never seen on
this set before, because the pre-set ones are, in my opinion, too much
in contrast and color saturation. I like to see all the detail in the
video, and if it's too contrasty or too bright, much of the detail is
lost in the over bright/contrasty areas, and too much color is un-natural.

Did you try anything like this? I still get the impression from this review that as long as your looking at a bright colorful scene it looks great...probably translates to 'black levels look like crap'.

But something to think about...at least with samsung is if you step up to the 40" model you get more Contrast ratio out of the same model number

I've noticed this as well. But, 40" from just 2.5' to 3' away seems like it would be uncomfortable. And that's dynamic contrast, not real contrast. If I can see it lightening up, and darkening down b/n scenes I tend to get distracted. I might end up turning that setting off, but I'd have to see it first. How do actual contrast ratios compare b/n the sets? Anybody know?

There really is no comparison between the Samsung 5xx and 6xx series. The 6xx series is much much better a tv and monitor. I've bought the LN-a580 at BestBuy and ended returning it in week to get the LN-a650. It's just that much better.

But, i would only consider the 40" or above on the 6xx model as the 32" 6xx model is really no different than the 5xx sets.

I have this and its a great LCD!

Back