SVCHost.exe...

Nemesis999

2[H]4U
For some reason SVCHost.exe (one of the instances of it at least) Always uses ~ 70% of my CPU. I've done a complete format several times within 10 minutes it starts lagging down again. I've tried Norton AV, Mcafee AV, and Moosoft's "The Cleaner", all with newest definitions and the find nothing.

Windows updates don't seem to help either, half the time I get so frustrated that I just kill svchost and abort the shutdown.

BTW: P4 2.4C @ 3.2, 512MB Kingston HyperX 3500, Abit IS7-G, Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, and my trusty old 7200RPM 40GB WD.

Anyone have any ideas on what is/could be causing this?

well....svchost.exe is supposed to be there in many instances....it's a part of windows...so running spycheck stuff will do nothing...it's just part of windows...

I know it's part of windows:D, I was just making sure that there were no viruses could be affecting it.

Originally posted by Nemesis999
For some reason SVCHost.exe (one of the instances of it at least) Always uses ~ 70% of my CPU. I've done a complete format several times within 10 minutes it starts lagging down again. I've tried Norton AV, Mcafee AV, and Moosoft's "The Cleaner", all with newest definitions and the find nothing.

Windows updates don't seem to help either, half the time I get so frustrated that I just kill svchost and abort the shutdown.

BTW: P4 2.4C @ 3.2, 512MB Kingston HyperX 3500, Abit IS7-G, Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, and my trusty old 7200RPM 40GB WD.

Does this happen when you reinstall while the computer is completely disconnected from the internet?

methinks you got a service that doesnt like your computer. head over to black viper's list, and run down all the services and disable the ones that you feel you dont need. scvhost starts a lot of services, and several of them arent needed for most operations. so look into that.

second, you may be getting a worm. 10 minutes after format, are you connected to the internet?

last, is this when you're in games and other things that take up 100% cpu resources? I mean, will it still take up 70 and your game take up 30, hindering performance?

I also have this problem at times, except it sucks up memory, not the CPU. Can someone post a link to Black Viper's site?

Originally posted by Nemesis999

Looks like you have a worm. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

or something similar. You can get the worm within minutes of an unprotected connection to the internet. Get a firewall (hardware or software) to prevent BS like this if you have an 'always on' connection.

Back