swap quad-core to my current dual core

acee

Gawd
Is this possible? Can I just swap out my current E6600 dual core for a quad core? I believe my motherboard can support a quad core most definately as its one of the top motherboards :D

Can it be this simple?

Thanks

It very well could, depending on your motherboard make and model. Merry early Christmas, I guess. :p

awesome then its true haha.. Merry EARLY Christmas present from parents :D and its not that expensive either.

A..

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Socket LGA775, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 8MB L2 Cache, 65nm (Retail Box) (BX80562Q6600)

is only going for $289.99 at a local comp store up here in CA.
But now I need to think if my E6600 will sell fast :(

It'll sell fast. Put it up for a fair / sane price in the FS/FT thread. I'm running an E4400, but am happy enough with it that buying the E6600 would be overkill. :)

Be sure to match that quad core, with some better cooling. Thermalright 120 extreme is looking good as far as air.

I currently have this cooler for CPU cooling

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink Support S754/S939/AM2 Socket
http://canadacomputers.com/main.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010296&cid=FN.349

Also, just so I don't make another thread. Will I feel a significant difference with a quad core then what i'm experience with a dual core 2 at the moment? Like loading stuff for me is quite fast enough now but with an extra 2 it should go rapidly instead right?

I currently have this cooler for CPU cooling

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink Support S754/S939/AM2 Socket
http://canadacomputers.com/main.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010296&cid=FN.349

Also, just so I don't make another thread. Will I feel a significant difference with a quad core then what i'm experience with a dual core 2 at the moment? Like loading stuff for me is quite fast enough now but with an extra 2 it should go rapidly instead right?

congrats acee, I just swapped my e4300 for a q6600.

It went without a hitch. I have the same motherboard. On 1st bootup it recognized the new CPU, and asked for a reboot, which it did. Then XP and Vista both reconized it no problems.

Oh yeah, something to watch out for. When I went into Task Manager it only showed 2 cores :eek:

While the 680i recognized the Q6600 for some strange reason it did not enable the 2 extras cores. how messed up is that!!!

Just make sure youafter it reboots with the new CPU you go into the BIOS and enable them. I am assuming you want to use the new cores :p

BTW, the Q6600 is awsome. I have tons of stuff running and the extra cores make the system very reponsive. It does not make a huge difference in games though. There it is the GPU that makes the diff.

Merry Early X'mas

Edit: Just noticed you are in Canada (Toronto?). Hey just down the street, you can get the Q6600 cheaper by $20 ;-) Great store: http://www.filtechcomputer.com/

congrats acee, I just swapped my e4300 for a q6600.

It went without a hitch. I have the same motherboard. On 1st bootup it recognized the new CPU, and asked for a reboot, which it did. Then XP and Vista both reconized it no problems.

Oh yeah, something to watch out for. When I went into Task Manager it only showed 2 cores :eek:

While the 680i recognized the Q6600 for some strange reason it did not enable the 2 extras cores. how messed up is that!!!

Just make sure youafter it reboots with the new CPU you go into the BIOS and enable them. I am assuming you want to use the new cores :p

BTW, the Q6600 is awsome. I have tons of stuff running and the extra cores make the system very reponsive. It does not make a huge difference in games though. There it is the GPU that makes the diff.

Merry Early X'mas

Edit: Just noticed you are in Canada (Toronto?). Hey just down the street, you can get the Q6600 cheaper by $20 ;-) Great store: http://www.filtechcomputer.com/

awesome thanks for the link to the site. I never knew there was another store in Toronto that can exactly be cheaper than Canadacomputer store. I will for sure keep checking for better Q6600 deals and when the time comes. It's time to upgrade :D

awesome thanks for the link to the site. I never knew there was another store in Toronto that can exactly be cheaper than Canadacomputer store. I will for sure keep checking for better Q6600 deals and when the time comes. It's time to upgrade :D

Yeah, I am glad I found that little store. They are very friendly and decent. Small store and if they are busy you might have to wait a bit, because they always will give attention to the customers no matter what.

And yes they are usually cheaper than ccomputers, and if not just tell Charles the store manager and he will at least price match it. Can't miss him, the older Taiwanese man.

right now i'm determining where I should get this. It could be either the store mentioned for $310 total or get it from NCIX for $300shipped to my location. But I might also just wait a little bit more to around christmas time as the price may drop a bit more.

Back