Sweet baby jesus....the 960 Evo is FAST!!!

Sprayingmango

[H]ard|Gawd
I switched from a 950 Pro 500 GB to a 960 Evo 1TB and good lord....is this thing FAST.

I was already on a fast drive, yes, but the 960 Evo feels even FASTER. Like....everything is instantaneous. Unpacking 600 MB zips, loading applications, etc. I never thought it would feel THIS snappy and fast.

l9tupZX.png

Now this is impressive.

And it gets you the same game load times! I've tested a 950 Pro, 850 EVO, and 42GB DDR4 (16-18-18-32) 3200MHz RAM drive and they are all essentially the same speed for game loading.

Now, unzipping files, transferring files (edit: to arrays or drives that can keep up that is), database servers - those do benefit from the greater queue depth / sequential performance the NVME drives provide. Fuck I wish game loading did too.

Last edited:
And it gets you the same game load times! I've tested a 950 Pro, 850 EVO, and 42GB DDR4 (16-18-18-32) 3200MHz RAM drive and they are all essentially the same speed for game loading.

Now, unzipping files, transferring files (edit: to arrays or drives that can keep up that is), database servers - those do benefit from the greater queue depth / sequential performance the NVME drives provide. Fuck I wish game loading did too.

Honestly I've been using ssd's since.... well since they first came out. I had a 30gb ssd I paid $150 for lol. And yes in games there is not much of a difference if you are loading.

But if you can take advantage of the nvme drives, they are amazing. I've been using nvme pcie drives for about a year and half. And I call really tell the difference when I go back to a SATA ssd.

7c81b9664f5765aaa4c8700ddb796e36.png

I seem to get better results? Using the Samsung NVMe driver, but I also haven't filled 10% of the drive like OP has.

Not impressed.

cdmramdrive.jpg

j/k, I've also got a 960 Pro and love it.
I'm just a poor pleb with a 950, Ram Jacked!

if you're running at 3200 (I'm at 3000); any idea where the differences come from (win 7 vs 10)?
Ram.png

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4B3000C15R 15-17-17-35

Why do QD1 4K write speeds increase but 4K read speeds do not?

Read speeds are latency limited while write speeds are not. Most drives complete write once they hit the drive's buffer regardless of power loss protection while the reads have to go to the actual flash to get the data. If you use the MS Diskspd tool with write buffer bypass, you'll see what truly abysmal write performance the drive actually has. As an example, an 850 Evo drops from doing ~40k Wr IOPS to ~220 Wr IOPS (~9 MB/s) when the write buffer is bypassed.

In reality, any drive without power loss data protection shouldn't ever buffer writes as it can result in corruption on power loss, but since most consumer drives don't have PLDP, they just say screw it as it would tank performance. Its quite sad because PLDP really only costs a couple $ in parts to implement.

I'm disappointed.
The only thing I need faster load times for is games.
These cant achieve that.

Everything else is already f. fast!

I'm disappointed.
The only thing I need faster load times for is games.
These cant achieve that.

Everything else is already f. fast!

Awman really? I thought those speeds were for game loading/large file transfers. Dammit I hate being teased.

Yeah, I was ready to go M.2, looking at drives and decided to check what was fastest, accepting I would lose the use of 2 SATA ports.
For OS boot and gaming, they are all practically the same.
Waste of money and SATA ports!
Bugger.

Awman really? I thought those speeds were for game loading/large file transfers. Dammit I hate being teased.

File transfers to media that can keep up does benefit.

Game load times, unfortunately, don't improve due to their low (typically 1 to 3) queue depths.

Back