Swiftech Challenge

Oh botha... I just got a Storm. Starting to wish I would have waited, but that seemed to come out of nowhere.

hmmm ...im thinking if thats why everybody is out of Apogees .... still didnt get one yet so i guess ill better wait till the new one is coming out and Apogee is going down in price . :D

sweet! I'm glad I waited to build my rig. I will be looking into this block, hopefully it's not an absurd amount of money. And I think Swiftech is totally cool for doing this type of fun activity. :) Wish I could go.

It also has more/smaller jets. Definitely outperforms the Swiftech Storm. They are hard to find and very expensive. I wish is right.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1092062&highlight=storm+g5
They are considered the absolute BEST blocks to date. And honestly, I don't think Swiftech would make it that easy. They probably used the G5 as their benchmark.

Then again, they could say, "Look. Our results with this $50 block are just as good as that guy with his $250, custom-built all silver cooler." I don't think they'd mind giving up on water cooled case for those kinds of boasting rights.

The G5 and G7 were both silver, but the G7 had more impingement jets. It was more expensive, and very few were ever made.

The G5 and G7 were both silver, but the G7 had more impingement jets. It was more expensive, and very few were ever made.

Not very many G5's were made, but only a couple G7's exist, and I don't know if anyone but Cathar has one. The G7 was never made in any large quantity, and the G8 only exists in theory and design, as the equipment necessary to produce it is way too expensive.

If it's a great block by a fair margin, I'll definitely get one.

I think it will perform quite well, as the original Apogee isn't bad. I'm really just hoping for a better build quality, and metal barbs (although I don't think that's going to happen). Larger cooling areas, like the original apogee is the direction things need to move towards, and I don't think the new blocks are going to disappoint in that respect. I'm hoping that they move to a base plate design like the old 6002's. If the build quality is improved, I'll seriously consider getting one, just so I don't have to deal with clogged jets again.

Since Swiftuch and Dtek have been trading product similarities for years I would bet it looks/performs a whole lot like this one.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=182

• Full Copper baseplate featuring dense rounded pins and 1.4 sq." pin spread optimized for large die Dual and Quad core processors.
  • Airfoils are used to optimally direct water flow throughout the block.
  • Anti-oxidant treated precision lapped copper baseplate.
  • Black Delrin Top with brass threaded inserts embedded for durability and lightweight construction.
  • Black Delrin Mid Chamber is pressure balanced and internally optimized for rapid water transfer.
  • Nickel Plated 1/2" or 3/8" Hi-Flow Hose barbs included

Don't be surprised if DangerDun releases a new block in the near future.

Since Swiftuch and Dtek have been trading product similarities for years I would bet it looks/performs a whole lot like this one.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=182

• Full Copper baseplate featuring dense rounded pins and 1.4 sq." pin spread optimized for large die Dual and Quad core processors.
  • Airfoils are used to optimally direct water flow throughout the block.
  • Anti-oxidant treated precision lapped copper baseplate.
  • Black Delrin Top with brass threaded inserts embedded for durability and lightweight construction.
  • Black Delrin Mid Chamber is pressure balanced and internally optimized for rapid water transfer.
  • Nickel Plated 1/2" or 3/8" Hi-Flow Hose barbs included

Don't be surprised if DangerDun releases a new block in the near future.

And then when Alphacool makes a new block AquaComputer and Innovatek will be right behind them. Or does changing the looks of the block and making it more expensive qualify as different enough?

I doubt DangerDen will release a new block for awhile. They seem perfrectly content with the TDX. They could have changed it many times now, and lots of other companies have released newer and better blocks, but DD has stayed firm with the TDX. They just dont seem as interested in making new designs and maintaining a performance lead like they used to. Now DD seems to be more focused on their business ventures like the watercooling displays in Microcenter.

I hope someone can show up with a G7, it would be awesome if Cathar went and owned Swiftech :)

And then when Alphacool makes a new block AquaComputer and Innovatek will be right behind them. Or does changing the looks of the block and making it more expensive qualify as different enough?

Very off topic, but OK.

I hope someone can show up with a G7, it would be awesome if Cathar went and owned Swiftech :)

There is a reason Swiftech is controlling the pump and radiator in this loop for the challenge.......... More importantly THE CPU. Funny, there are enough clues running around spelling out it is nothing like a G4,G5,G7 and more like a 6002 on steriods. I just hope it can handle 10mm tubing better than the storm did ;)

Damn... I thought the Swifttech Challenge was today... oh well.. another 24 hours and we'll see the results.

I haven't seen anything yet, either. XS should be the first place updated with info. They should have results up within a day or two. Might just have to wait till the 15th to get some pics.

I haven't seen anything yet, either. XS should be the first place updated with info. They should have results up within a day or two. Might just have to wait till the 15th to get some pics.

Checked there too.... last post was by Fuggar today at 4am (musta been 1am CA time).

I'm not after the internal pics of the new Apogees... I just want results! And to know if any home brewed blocks did as well or better than the commercial offerings. Also interested to know if anyone brought along a G5 just for shitz and giggles. And if anyone went home with that prize Swiftech was offering (assuming someone beat their new block).

Checked there too.... last post was by Fuggar today at 4am (musta been 1am CA time).

I'm not after the internal pics of the new Apogees... I just want results! And to know if any home brewed blocks did as well or better than the commercial offerings. Also interested to know if anyone brought along a G5 just for shitz and giggles. And if anyone went home with that prize Swiftech was offering (assuming someone beat their new block).

I'm also curious if anyone brought a D-Tek Fuzion, and how that compares.

Still waiting.... I can't believe there hasn't been any news as of yet... unless of course.... swiftech LOST their challenge. :eek:

LOL... poor Switech :eek:

Imagine how f'ing stupid they feel to be all cocky then getting p0wned?

h20 frag-monger just posted some controlled test results on a 30x30mm 100W die-sim... The Fuzion ended up outperforming the Storm by about 0.2*C (and the original Apogee by a larger margin)... but it did it while incurring less than half the pressure drop of the Apogee.

That's pretty impressive, actually... now I'm curious as to how it would do on a smaller die-sim (or on, perhaps, a live C2D modded TTV-style).

I ordered one, to stick on my Reserator. The ultimate Low Flow test. I dont think it would be to hard to bet the Zalman waterblock thats for sure.

What impresses me the most about the fuzion is the pressure drop, or lack thereof. And all at a very cool $65.

The fuzion is indeed a very nice block. Flow for flow it performs equally as good as, or better then most other blocks out there. However it is lower restriction then anything out there as well. Pretty good stuff.

So no real improvement with that new block , lot of noise about nothin . I guess swiftech should better lower their price for their waterblocks . $ 80 for a storm or $ 50 for an apogee might not be justified anymore if it got beat that easy by a $ 65 fuzion . :rolleyes:

Info posted over in XS: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128458&page=11

The D-Tek Fuzion beat the Apogee GT by 5C (though, the Fuzion's slightly convex base likely played a factor in that)

*edit* ...and I still have issues with the way they were doing "testing"...but that's a topic for another day.

Just read that thread (or the new stuff since I subscribed to it).... I found this post interesting...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1945017&postcount=331

Philly_boy said:
The Apogee GT with a bowed base actually out performed the best run of the FuZion by about 3c. I can also say that the FuZion is a flow meister!! The test bed's water loop never bled fully during any run on the Fuzion and altho we didn't have any type of flow meter on the system, I saw far more turbulence in the res than when we ran the Apogee GT block.

I will break out a seperate thread with detailed results of this including pics tomorrow after the show lets out.

They gave away the "prize" to whomever brought the D-Tek Fuzion Block, but then did another run of testing? (cause they didn't believe their eyes???)

Kinda reminds me of the Grim Reaper in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" (or was it the Bogus Adventure?) Best 2 out of 3! Best 3 out of 4? How about best 4 out of 5? Awww comon.... one more try.... best 6 out of 10! LOL.

If I ever decide to upgrade my CPU to a Kentsfield, I may consider picking up the Fuzion or a new Apogee... but the Storm I have on my naked Opty 170 does it's job just fine.

GREAT !!!! .....first they loose at their challenge by 5° and now somebody is posting the new apogee did 3° better than the fuzion that won the challenge .So now we just have a tiny diference of only 8° in testing .Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Regardless, performance seems to be very high with the FuZion with extremely low restriction. IMO, that makes it a very desirable block. Now all you're seeing is the "experts" flaming each other about testing methods that would yield very little difference to most end users.

GREAT !!!! .....first they loose at their challenge by 5° and now somebody is posting the new apogee did 3° better than the fuzion that won the challenge .So now we just have a tiny diference of only 8° in testing .Unbelievable :rolleyes:

This is exactly why a number of months ago on this water cooling forum there was a big tiff about testing methodology. A number of people here believed that "real world" testing such as this was the only way to go. Whereas others, including myself, believed in controlled scientific testing with repeatability. Real world testing just has too many variables introduced which makes comparing products very difficult.

This is exactly why a number of months ago on this water cooling forum there was a big tiff about testing methodology. A number of people here believed that "real world" testing such as this was the only way to go. Whereas others, including myself, believed in controlled scientific testing with repeatability. Real world testing just has too many variables introduced which makes comparing products very difficult.
You and I think exactly alike in that respect. The funny part? I am now doing my own 'real world' testing to determine for myself what is what. Of course, it is all I can do as I don't have proper tools otherwise. My G5 vs. Fuzion results are nearly finished. I should have the Apogee GT delivered today and that will get tested too.

Back