Switch Recommendation

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a small, 8 or 12 port switch which could sit on my desk in my bedroom?

Currently I am using a Cisco 1548M Micro Switch (HORRIBLE!!!).

I want to replace this with one with more features, eg:
- better vlan support
- Maybe QoS and VoIP support
- Maybe Gigabit, with a single 1000BASE-SX or SFP port (Not required! I'm fine with 100mbit copper, I just figured it'd be nice since I'm "upgrading" anyway :))

This switch will be used for "fun" (ie will have a games console/entertainment equipment connected), and also be used to interact with my home lab which lives downstairs so I definitely need VLAN support at least.

I was looking at the Cisco Small Business Managed Switches.

The Cisco SRW2008 seem nice, but I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations from other brands, or any other model worth looking at?

professionally, I've had better luck than you'd expect for the money with Enterasys switches. You'd probably be best served getting a 24 port C-series used on eBay as they don't demand the premium bucks of Cisco's and HP

A Netgear gsm will be awesome until the PCB melts and the CSR's don't even know what firmware is the first time your settings zero out for no reason.

HP Procurve 1810G series, Dell Powerconnect 28xx series, or the Netgear Enterprise class stuff. Personally I would spend a little extra for the Procurve for the warranty.

mhamzahkhan, I can also attest to the 1548 being complete and utter CRAP. If the fan has failed on yours it's only a matter of time before the thing fails. We used to have these switches in the field. But now if we hear that one of our branches we send them a replacement one straight away, They are one of the worst things Cisco has ever made in my experience.

That said since it's going to be going into your bedroom I'm sure you'd want something quiet or silent. The HP ProCurve 1810 would be my first choice. It's fan-less, managed, has vlan support, lifetime warranty and all the ports are gigabit. It has a ton more features that may prove very useful to you :cool:

I've had a D-Link DGS-3200-10 for 9 months now and it's been fantastic.

8 Gigabit ports plus 2 gigabit copper/SFP ports (10 total)
Full layer 2
- VLAN,NAP,QoS, IGMP
- Port Mirroring, 802.1x auth
Fanless

It's been good to me..

Riley

HP 2824 is good investment. I know you said you were looking for something only 12 port though... I picked one up a few months ago on ebay for $250 in good condition and can't say enough good things about it.

If the fan has failed on yours it's only a matter of time before the thing fails.

There is a fan in there?!
I guess mine is already failed.... unless it is unbelievably silent :|

The HP Procurve 1810G really does seem appealing!
Hopefully I should have one by the end of next week!

Now I need to find a replacement for my 3com 4400 Layer 3 switch.... I hate it! :( but that can wait for some other time :)

Thanks everyone! :)

There is a fan in there?!
I guess mine is already failed.... unless it is unbelievably silent :|

The HP Procurve 1810G really does seem appealing!
Hopefully I should have one by the end of next week!

Now I need to find a replacement for my 3com 4400 Layer 3 switch.... I hate it! :( but that can wait for some other time :)

Thanks everyone! :)
Yep, it sure has. There's a little 40mm sunon fan in the top of the switch.

What's wrong with your 3com switch? I happen to own a 4200 (17300a) that has done very well for me. If I needed anymore gigabit ports I'd be up the creek though since it only has two gb ports. in which case I'd be rockin a hp1810 :)

Oops, I actually meant to say 4900 (Layer 3 gigabit switch), not 4400.

I got the 4900 from work, and its really just small things about it which bug me.

I hate the console menu. It feels so limited, I'd much rather prefer an IOS type shell, and I find it pretty crazy that you can't change the management VLAN on the 4900 (I can on my 4400!) :\

Most people I have spoken to, and books I have read, (and logic!) say that changing the Management VLAN from the default VLAN will slightly increase security.

I have already setup all my switches to use a different VLAN for management, and am not using VLAN 1 for anything and I don't really want to. So because of this I don't have access to the console of my 4900 through SSH/Telnet. It's a small thing, but quite frustrating!

But other than that, it's just the interface. I don't like looking through the menus to find something, typing commands is much quicker and easier to remember.

They are both bad reasons to find a replacement, but if this 4900 is able to sell for a good price, and I am able to find a decent replacement gigabit layer 3 switch for a reasonable price, I will take the opportunity!

You sound like you're looking for something a bit more then the 1810 can give you... Consider the HP 2824 switch as said above. Maybe even a cisco switch (The REAL Cisco stuff, not the linksys rebadged stuff :p). Something with a console cable connector. The 1810 only has a web interface. Though I think you might be able to telnet into it as well to issue commands.

Hmm well, I figured a more "simple" switch would do fine considering it is for my bedroom, and I don't think I'll need to access the console or web interface too often.

Back