Switch Recommendation?

Jon55

2[H]4U
Our office is looking for an awesome 24-port Gigabit unmanaged switch. I've been looking at the TP-LINK TL-SG1024 but figured I'd ask here first in case there's a better recommendation

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I might lean more towards a TRENDnet, but since it is unamanged you won't find much difference between manufactures.

I'd go with HP as well, especially for unmananged. For less price, Zyxel has been getting some good press on here. I've had some of the metal-case Netgear switches hold up very well, to loads that even killed older Intel managed stuff (GS-series).

I would probably stay away from something like TP-Link or Trendnet if it's for a business.

I would probably stay away from something like TP-Link or Trendnet if it's for a business.

Any reason why? I have a couple of their unmanaged 8-port gigabit switches at home and they've all worked flawlessly.

Also, what makes the HP1410-24G a better buy? This is an office, but it's a small 15 person office.

TP-Link works fine, it's most likely similar hardware to your Netgear/Linksys model etc.
I would though advice you to get a managed switch, it's much easier to troubleshoot and doesn't cost more. Here in EU Zyxel GS1910 24p costs about as much as your generic unmanaged switch.
//Danne

I'd go HP 1410-24G too. If anything ever goes wrong with it you'll be happy because their warranty is awesome.

The advanced replacement policy is what you get with the HP 1410-24G.

That said for the price If you have no managed switches on the network I'd buy something like an HP 1810-24G so I could troubleshoot.

Any reason why? I have a couple of their unmanaged 8-port gigabit switches at home and they've all worked flawlessly.

The stuff you have at home is just plain consumer grade stuff, not really stuff I'd put my business on. I have a Trendnet GigE switch that worked just great at home, until I upgraded to a HP. I don't think the HP did anything better than the Trendnet, but it's generally a more reputable, reliable unit. With a TP-Link, you're going to save yourself $100 for a lesser known entity, instead of a proven name like HP--or Dell, Cisco, etc.

I do think the GS-series Netgear stuff is pretty solid, but I don't bother with their consumer line stuff (which the GS is kind of consumer grade, but it's better than the plastic stuff). Like I said, I've beat the snot out of some of those and never was able to kill them. If you want something cheaper, I would suggest the GS Netgear (all metal cased stuff).

It's not to say the business class stuff doesn't fail, I would just have more faith putting my business on gear more likely to succeed, not have issues requiring reboots, failures, etc. Depending on your business, even if it's only 15 people if the switch goes down then you're paying 15 people to twiddle their thumbs.

Today you probably get the same stuff in entry level switches as its cheaper than having two different production lines, I'd guess it comes more down to the firmware.
//Danne

Back