Switching from Tmobil to Verizon. HELP!!!

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Howdy [H]....

Im not sure how to approach talkin bout my topic, I usually go a bit overboard in details, so forgive my tangents and un-nutshell post.
'
To begin, I feel that to get a proper response, I need to say a bit of back history here :eek:

The phone I use is for both my work and home/family life. I dont have multiple phones (how do people deal with that) and the cost of my phone is out of pocket, no company to help pay my bills. That being said, im NOT looking to break the bank here, but I also dont just want a phone thats "barely" good enough to meet my needs.

I am a Technician for Directv...more over, im on the Advanced Team and install Excede Internet. I can easily drive over 200 miles in a single day to complete my route. For the most part, my customers live in very rural areas. To give you an idea, there is literally an area that is called Hillbilly Heaven. Im not kidding. Though I try NOT to call customers using my own phone, there are times where its unavoidable. Sometimes GPS and Google Maps dont help in finding their location, so I have to call them. Just the same, there are times I MUST be able to call my dispatch for various reasons. Point being....I NEED !!!GREAT!!!! RECEPTION.

Ive already done a bit of the work for you guys/gals. Indeed, out of the main 4 carriers (Tmobil, Verizon, ATT, Sprint), Verizon has COMPLETE coverage of the areas I work in. So, this is why im looking at Verizon.

Currently, I have Tmobil. Their coverage in some of these areas are touch and go. EXTREMELY frustrating. In a few days, my contract is up with Tmobil. Though my wife would prefer me to stay with Tmobil (cause I can get on her parents' plan and save some money), they have 2G coverage in almost ALL the areas I work in. Im sick of not being able to use Google Maps because I dont have a good enough signal to use it.

My current phone is a Motorola Blurr. 2 years ago when I go it....well....It went down like this....

I was a traveling tech at the time and I had just come home from being away in Iowa for 30 days. I used to have a 2g phone and it just really sucked. Tmobil didnt even have "Tmobil" towers in Davenport or surrounding areas, they used someone else. So, after I got home to take a week vacation before going back for another 2 months, I went to Tmobil and got my very very first smart phone, The Blurr.

My research of that phone consisted of this......(talkin to the sales person), Does the phone work in Iowa? Yes....How much? blah blah......Ok, I'll take it. I had also seen a video on YouTube that showed the phone working while submerged in a glass of water. Since I sometimes work in the rain.....Well, I got the phone. Little did I know that purchasing a new phone renewed my contract with them (Ive had Tmobil for bout 5 years).

This was my very first smart phone. Ironically, I found out later, it was actually considered an "Entry Level Phone". Go figure, right, heh.

So, fast forward to now, 2 years later......

I have to charge the suker damn near all day long. Ive gotten into the habit of plugging it in while in transit to other installs. If I have to use Google Maps...I literally have 2-5 minutes to type in my address, zoom, unzoom, see where im at verse where and how to get to where I need to go. Sometimes, its a BUNCH of back country roads. If I cant find the spot inside of that time limit, my phone FREEZES up. Or, as Im pinching/unpinching to zoom, nothing happens and a few MINUTES later, instead of zooming, it thinks I just tapped and tries to load up the address of the location I tapped and If im in a 2G zone (alot), It takes forever for it to finish loading. Usually, the phone freezes up and spits me a message that something went wrong in application, force close or wait.

In my job, we have "Time Windows". We have a certain amount of time to complete a job and we have to be ONSITE at jobs ON TIME. If we are not.......gahhh, it just starts a chain reaction in incoming phone calls from supervisors and dispatch. In short, its irratating to be running behind and Im wasting time trying to find locations and having to wait to reboot/restart my phone cause it froze up from a simple search on Google Maps.

My knowledge of these things is very limited. I use almost NONE of the special features on my phone.

I am NOT a social media dude, at all. I have no Facebook account and dont use Twitter or any of those applications...at all. I just honestly dont have a use.

So. What do I do?

1.) I make phone calls.
2.) I use speaker phone ALOT. Ive tried multiple bluetooths. As soos as some sweat gets in there, it stops working. Ive stopped wasting money buying more. Though, I do have a set of Ear Buds that I keep in the van I use occasionally while I drive.
3.) I take pictures. Both for work QC's and typical family/kids pics. Videos sometimes.
4.) I Txt and Google Talk.
5.) I use internet occasionally.
6.) I use Google Maps ALOT!!!!
7.) I receive my routes thru email/Gmail which I have routed to my phone.
8.) I DO use APPS. Though, not an App junkie. I have a few Apps to aid me in Satellite location (incase I forgot my inclinometer).
9.) I DO NOT play very many games, however, the availability to do so is nice. Games I play....Chess. Great Little War Game. Alchemy. Pool. and of course, Angry Birds. But, I dont play them much. Ive been active in a Stock Similator App. I like that one :p:cool:
10.) I use my phone as an alarm clock.

Lately, Our supervisor has requested the Team to start having On the Phone video meetings. I, of the entire Team, am the only one without a phone that supports this. I tried to update to the new Google+talk thing, but my phone wont download it. Says my phone doesnt support it. And this Linkedin thing....WTH is that. I keep getting txts from people to join. I dont get it. Hows it different from just sending me a txt?

My price range????

Well....Cheap, obviously. But not CHEAP!!!

I figure this.......

I walk into a Verizon store...I walk out with a new phone with spending NO MORE than $150 bucks. And that amount would already get me the "evil eye" from my wife. I can possibly push $200, but I would have to live in my dogs dog house for awhile.

$50 to $100 would be ideal.

Im very unfamiliar with all these so called "Plans" everyone has and Im confused as to the prices I see for some of the phones Ive been looking at.

I see some phones say $100 bucks in BRIGHT RED, but then I see a price of $600 in small black print. WTF?? My wife would have another baby if I spent $600 bucks on a phone. What is it EXACTLY I will be out of pocket? Whats the catch?

Example....

One of the phones I was looking at was the Verizon Razor HD. Its something like $99 bucks. But, says something like 500 bucks to buy. So, whats the scenario here. I walk into a store, hand over $100 bucks plus tax and I get a phone or am I going to have to pay other crap too?

Basically, what am I looking at, OUT OF POCKET, to walk in to a Verizon store, get a Razor and it being fully functional?

Other phones I was looking at was the Note2 and Galaxy S3 or 4.

The Note2 is what my supervisor uses and swears by it. Other guys on the Team use the S3.

Do I "NEED" a phone of that caliper? Would I even use half of what they offer?

By getting a lesser of a phone, does it also mean its lesser of quality too?

Ive been reading and reading and reading now for bout 2 weeks and today, I finally took the time to read up on WTF Rooting and ROMs were. Interesting stuff. But would I really have the balls to do it??? Would I really have a reason to do so?

I honestly just want a phone that WORKS when I need it to and those 10 things I stated earlier. But I dont want something thats a POS either.

I dont want to spend insane cash and I do NOT want to have to pay INSANE cash just to walk out of the store with a working phone.

Currently, I spend $128 a month for my current plan. Unlimited txt, talk and Net. MANY people ive spoke with are paying HALF that for WAYY more.

So...What does the [H] crew think??? What would be a good phone for me to get on the Verizon plan?

It might help chill your wife out a bit if you inform her you can deduct the price of the phone from your taxes as a work related expense since your company is REQUIRING you to have features your current phone doesn't support.

Move to Verizon get the phone you want and buy a real GPS.

Heh. :D I enjoyed your post. Made me smile. Though I can honestly say, I dont have a top of the line GPS, I can say I know others who do. They have to pull over sometimes to use Google Maps too. I need the availability of both.

To top that off, Im bout to get the updated version of Street Trips for my laptop too, for the simple reason of being able to use A MAP without the use of the net. I cant stress the fact that TIME is an issue in my line of work. Sometimes jobs take longer for LOTS of various reasons. Using a paper map of the area, in this day and age, just take too long. Sad but true.

It might help chill your wife out a bit if you inform her you can deduct the price of the phone from your taxes as a work related expense since your company is REQUIRING you to have features your current phone doesn't support.

Yeah, we do deduct the costs.

Its more about the POTENCY of the NOW COST that is important. I think my current phone is about to die. I have PLENTY of space on it and too my knowledge, I dont have many things running on it at once. I think its just on its last legs and Ive learned from experience...dont wait till the last minute to fix something you know is going bad.

Unfortunately, no matter what, bad things seem to always happen at the very most wrong time. But, it is what it is. I gotta play with the cards Im dealed, I dont have a Full House, but I can possibly play a straight. :D

You know Google Maps has an offline mode. You have to download the map of the area. Pretty sure TeleNav has this option as well, but it requires a subscription fee. I don't know if you have tried that.

If you think Verizon is going to get you out in the boondocks, think again. I work for a heavy equipment dealer and we deal with Trimble and their cellular solution (Verizon and ATT) and we constantly run into issues with weak signal on BOTH CDMA (Verizon and Sprint for example) and GSM (ATT and T-Mobile for example)...

I pretty much deal with this on a daily basis and crappy coverage affects all carriers out in "hillbilly heaven"

Basic GSM is for phone call only, there is no data prevision, same goes for basic CDMA....

EDIT: Clarification

Last edited:
Get a note 2 from Amazon wireless last I checked it was only $89 for new customers

Any of the phones listed will do what you want and more. Go with whateve rone is cheapest and you can get an otterbox for. Since it sounds like you use it pretty much everywhere, and occasionally on a roof, an otterbox is a good choice, IMO, to get........

As for offline navigation, google maps will save them offline, however in my experience it still needs data for the initial navigation.....check with tomtom, navigon, copilot for their offline android apps. I personally use Waze when online, but when I need offline on my iPad it is CoPilot all the way, cheap, good maps that are updated quarterly, and it just works. (I think they have an Android version, I just use waze on my phone, never have it offline)

I've never had trouble with t mobile using navigation on 2g it always worked fine for me

get a free razr m, they're very good, well made phones. that way you can get a good case and a car charger or whatever else. I think they're offering the S3 for around 100 bucks as well. Razr hd would be a good choice. if you're going to be using a large amount of data yoy might want a larger data package. won't be cheap but it will work. one thing to keep in mind is that verizon is going to charge you a partial month, your full first month and a 35 dollar one time activation fee. so! expect your first months service to be pricey. not sure about taxes but the fcc rate in PA (where I live) is around 17 percent. be sure to keep that in mind as well when it comes to your bill.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

You can get a Galaxy S3 for $100 right now with a 2 year contract from Verizon.

You can get a Apple iPhone 4 for FREE or a 4S for $100 with a 2 year contract.

You can get a Droid Incredible for $50 with a 2 year contract.

Thank You everyone. I appreciate your replies.

A bit more research...a few more questions :)

How accurate are these "service" maps? Accurate enough to rely on?

Honestly, all these phones seemingly can all do the same stuff, for the most part. So, technically, I can get ANY phone and it "should" serve my purpose. So, basically, it comes down to providers.

Verizon just seems to be the leader when it comes to coverage area. I hesitate to go with Verizon though. Ive heard stories from others. Of those stories, one seems to stand out with me.

Ive heard that Verizon is NOT cool with you being late with paying your bill. Ive heard that if your just ONE day late, they completely turn off your service and then charge you all kinds of fees, such as, charging you the following months dues up front along with what you owe.

Any truth to that?

I currently have Tmobil and though Im not enjoying their lack of coverage in the areas where I work, they are WAYY cool in the customer service department. Well, at least for me they have been. Ive gone as much as a week before they cut off my service and then, Im able to call them, let them know im between pay checks atm. I give them a date I can pay and Ive never had a problem. They even dismiss the late payment fee (usually).

Im not always late, but, heh, sometimes....well, you just end up having a real shitty check and some bills have to take a back seat to others.

So....Those of you who have Verizon. How do you find their customer service? Have you had any problems with paying late sometimes?

Also, how is Verizons quality of service? Droped calls etc etc???

^ what you need to do is see if you can try a CDMA phone from Verizon out there. Those coverage maps are rough estimates only as to what coverage you get....

Hmmm.

What is CDMA?
Another technology just like GSM. CDMA are not compatible with GSM though, even if your CDMA phone is unlocked, you still can't pop a T-Mobile or any other sim card that utilize GSM into your CDMA phone and use it.

Just checked out on Verizon, the motorola Rarz HD is a good choice. $99 due and $91 monthly. Satisfy all your needs, unlimited talk & text with 1GB of mobile data with 2-yrs commitment.

Why not a Galaxy S3? Meets all your requirements and it's $10 with 2 year contract.

Get the Razr maxx and forget about worrying. My friend has it, be it's not latest greatest, he can pull off two solid days with moderate use, and that's the non maxx version. Plus it's got great loud speakers, very good for navigation while driving. I would not recommend a Galaxy3, even though u get replaceable battery. One of my friends picked it up at release and for about s week he was raving how great the battery was, but after that he kept fiddling with disabling this and that all the time to try n get more life out of it daily. Haptic feedback, backlight, key light, just not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Back