Switching motherboards with linux

TekieB

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, I have an old 233mhz compaq as running redhat 9 as a webserver. But I need something more powerful due to the increased traffic/PHP stuff. Fourtanetly I have a box with an a7n8x-D and a 2500 barton sitting next to it thats going un-used. so my question is: Will linux geek out if I just stick the hard drive in the new box and boot? If so how hard will it be to reconfig? Or would I be better off reinstalling linux on the new machine?

Going from that exteme a platform, yeah its gonna kernel-panic on some of the newer stuff. Your best bet is this:

Backup all your config data for your apps (start with the /etc/ directory)
Backup your website data (try the /var/www directories)
Backup the home directories (/home)

Make notes about what programs you have installed on the old system for re-installation on the new platform.

Install the system on your new platform and re-install the configs on the new machine.

If its a webserver, you dont know what to expect when switching out hardware, kernel differences, etc, you should reinstall. It is possible to do a swapout of the HDD, but you need to be prepared for the consequences. Just like in the windows world.

Thanks for the input. Thankfully all I have installed (other than default) is xmapp, so one directory, and nothing else. So would I almost be better just reinstalling and not stress about kernel panics?

Well you said you run a webserver? You will need some config's out of the /etc and the document root(s). Backup backup backup :D

Bring the new system online first before you decomission the old one, just to play it safe

from what i've read xmapp stores EVERYTHING in the /opt/lampp/ directory... but i'll back it up to be safe

Actually, if you use a generic kernel, I can't see why it shouldn't work. I'd suggest trying (after making backups). After all, it won't cost you many minutes.

HHunt said:
Actually, if you use a generic kernel, I can't see why it shouldn't work. I'd suggest trying (after making backups). After all, it won't cost you many minutes.

Thats true. It should work. Its going to boil down to the kernel. RH 9 is fairly "modern" so it wouldnt be that big a deal.

It should run pretty well - you might need to reconfigure a few things to really get it working (network, X11) but the system should come up.

you could always compile a somewhat generic kernel that you are sure will work with the new hardware, and then just stick it in /boot and set up a new grub entry. You can then just swap out the hardware and boot up into the new kernel.

-march=pentium compile options may prove a problem (you wont have any if you used binary packages)

Back