switching to fibre

Totally possible. Essentially, you're running a 1Gb switch with fiber instead of Ethernet.
Same philosophy, just different cabling and not limited to the 100m distance.

so all i need is fibre gbics. when i see this item pictured there is allways serial type connecters in the gbic slot. why is this?

so all i need is fibre gbics. when i see this item pictured there is allways serial type connecters in the gbic slot. why is this?

It could be a console connection or some other piece of management gear. Also, with fibre it is running the 802.3 ethernet standard, just a variation that allows it to run on fibre. It is still ethernet. Also, fiber gbt is no faster then copper gbt, you simply have a bit more distance to run cable. Also, be aware, that terminating fiber is not a fun job (enless you have a fussion splicer, which are not at all even close to cheap). If you can get pre-made cable in the lengths you want, more power to ya, but putting on ST connectors by hand is highly annoying.

thanks, i am just experimenting with fiber because i hav some spare money and i like networking, no practical reasons. i will be buying pre made cables.

will the hub work with any gbic? i know nothing about these

thanks, i am just experimenting with fiber because i hav some spare money and i like networking, no practical reasons. i will be buying pre made cables.

will the hub work with any gbic? i know nothing about these

As long as it complies to the 1000BASE-LX and whatever cable type you are using. You might want to ask if it is an actual hub, from my memory you can not run gbit through a hub, but you need a switch, I assume this is a typo. Due to the low price, I am also going to assume that this is a multimode fibre switch. Be sure that your NIC's are also all multimode or you will run into some issues. You will also want all of your cable to be multimode.

As long as it complies to the 1000BASE-LX and whatever cable type you are using. You might want to ask if it is an actual hub, from my memory you can not run gbit through a hub, but you need a switch, I assume this is a typo. Due to the low price, I am also going to assume that this is a multimode fibre switch. Be sure that your NIC's are also all multimode or you will run into some issues. You will also want all of your cable to be multimode.

after looking up on google, it seems this item is a hub. does this mean i have just bought the wrong thing?

after looking up on google, it seems this item is a hub. does this mean i have just bought the wrong thing?

Well, if it works it works, it just will not be as fast as a switch would be. I would not transfer different 20gb files from one computer to another all at the same time or you will get collisions left and right. After further review, this thing is pretty old, if you are just wanting to play with a fibre network it will do that just fine.

hi,

i have recently got hold of 10 fibre nics with sc connectors. is it possible to get

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Emulex-LH5000...4QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11180QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and a few gbics and sum cable and link all this together?

or is this completely different equipment?

thanks

This is a Fibre Channel Hub. It is for storage area networks SANs. Your computer will need a compatible host bus adapter. The 1G GBICs can be optical or copper. Copper was also done in a DB-9 connector. It has no compatibility to a PC serial port. Emulex still has some documentation on the web site for these older products. www.emulex.com

This is a Fibre Channel Hub. It is for storage area networks SANs. Your computer will need a compatible host bus adapter. The 1G GBICs can be optical or copper. Copper was also done in a DB-9 connector. It has no compatibility to a PC serial port. Emulex still has some documentation on the web site for these older products. www.emulex.com

You beat me to it...

That would explain it, now that I think about it and look at it further and actually read, I have seen these before.

Back