Swollen Battery Late 2008 Macbook

spyder_flex97

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a swollen battery on my late 2008 unibody macbook pro. This is causing the trackpad not to click anymore. I don't have applecare.
Has anyone had it exchanged by apple without having to buy a new battery. I scheduled an appointment with the genius bar for this weekend

Abnormal issues with batteries like that are replaced free outside of warranty by Apple in my experience. The extended Applcare doesn't cover consumables like batteries either.

does removing the battery allow the trackpad to work normally?

yes...removing it makes the trackpad click normally. it will also click when I first start using my laptop, but after using the laptop for a while it no longer clicks. I guess it expands when it gets hot and is in use :confused:

yes...removing it makes the trackpad click normally. it will also click when I first start using my laptop, but after using the laptop for a while it no longer clicks. I guess it expands when it gets hot and is in use :confused:

If they don't replace it you should just buy a new one from eBay and replace it yourself. It's not hard.

I've heard of a lot of Apple stores replacing things like batteries outside of warranty as long as it was cases like this where it went faulty itself.

I had a similar issue with my late 2008 unibody macbook. I brought it in, the tech took a look at it and ran their network bootable diagnostic tool which confirmed that there were problems with the battery. Brand new battery with no questions asked.

I have found that if the problem you are having is absolutely manufacture defect and you are within 4 years of purchasing the product apple will help you out warranty or not.

Update:

Went to the apple store today and they exchanged the battery free of charge. At first they tried selling me one saying this is normal for old batteries. But once I told them them the battery still holds a charge and this is a defect, the "genius" said he would exchange it free of charge. He said it was based on the fact that it had only 223 cycles on it which isnt alot according to him.

Back