symptoms that the PSU is too low?

I am debugging that gets random freeze-ups once and hour or so. Temperaturs are fine and the OS is a fresh install. So, I suspect it may be the PSU.

The sytem is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo, a very low end PCI-express video card, and a 250W power supply.

So my question is, what are the symptoms of having a PSU that is too low of wattage? Would this explain random freezes?

I'm going to test it out by underclocking and under volting and see if it still freezes. Do you have any other advice on how to detect if it's a PSU problem?

--N

Yeah Im going to have to say that is not a enough power supply for that comp.

Well underclocking and undervolting had no impact reducing the freezes.

I know this ghetto 250w PSU is pushing it. The c2d alone pulls 125w on load. I'm just trying to get this 1U rackmount server in our lab working stably.

nanoschizzle said:
Well underclocking and undervolting had no impact reducing the freezes.

I know this ghetto 250w PSU is pushing it. The c2d alone pulls 125w on load. I'm just trying to get this 1U rackmount server in our lab working stably.

5 bucks says that with a better PSU it will be fine.

You know, if it were a TRUE 250w psu, it could actually run that system, but its obviously a cheapy that probably cant put out more than 200w without puking. I'd recommend anything above 300w of real power.

wee96 said:
You know, if it were a TRUE 250w psu, it could actually run that system, but its obviously a cheapy that probably cant put out more than 200w without puking. I'd recommend anything above 300w of real power.
Total wattage is such a useless way of selecting a PSU, it is the +12V amperage that is by far the most important. :rolleyes:

Not just +12v amperage, quality as well. You can have a power supply which claims a ton of amps on the +12v, and never even come close.

Try something like the Enhance 400w from www.ewiz.com. It should be more than plenty, I've run more on less.

davidhammock200 said:
Total wattage is such a useless way of selecting a PSU, it is the +12V amperage that is by far the most important. :rolleyes:

Um, this comes into play when referring to TRUE, yes wattage isnt exactly the best way but its unfortunately a standard measure people are used to *rolls eyes back*

davidhammock200 said:
Only poorly informed people.

Like people who buy these 580W PSU's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163018

Haha!!! But that thing can't even do 580W if you put most of the load on the 3.3V and 5V rails. It can't even do 300W!!!!

They just falt out LIED when they made that label.

I love the top three "review" on Newegg for that thing, BTW. ;)

Back