System drive for WHS = Largest Disk?!?

Before the balance I had two at 95% and the other two at about 8-9%.

Mine's still like that and that's the way it's staying. :D

I read thru the gents rationalization for this program and it's definately a great remedy for his particular situation.

For probably 95% of other users it's usefulness is nil, unless you just can't stand the capacity used lines not being even. Since I don't put my cans in a straight line in the cupboard, I figured I can do without it.

It's great if your "landing zone" drive gets full, but I don't see the point for other drives. WHS will just fill them one at a time again.

What is the landing zone or is one still there?
~Technically there is no "Landing Zone" it was supposedly fixed with PP1 and an Update. However recent post and issues do suggest otherwise, particularly when using Vista.

The original definition - This was the size of the free space on the partition of the D:"data" drive on the main OS disk.
That amount of said space was all you could transfer to the box at any given moment.
This was due to the fact, that when you transferred a file or set of files to the WHS it had to first be written to the OS disk "data" partition and then be copied to the other storage disk(s).

Current Definition - Unlike before when data had to be written to the OS disk, it is now written directly to storage disk(s) unless space is unavailable, then and only then is data written directly to the OS disk.
However there still seems to be an issue particularly common when using vista, that although there is plenty of free space on other "Storage Disk(s)" there is not enough free space on the OS disk in relation to the size of file(s) one is transferring.
When the size of the file is very large, lets say 200gb, and there is only 150gb free space on the OS disk data partition, you will receive an error and the transfer will not complete.
This is particularly common with folks that have a small OS disk, and that is why it is still advised that you install the OS on the largest disk that you have.
If you have a large disk and for some reason have accumulated a lot of data on the "data" partition of the OS drive, there is a fix for forcing data off the OS disk.

This might help

Fixed is a relative term. It still reports the network drive as full, even if it reports the correct space.

Resurrecting this a bit. What is everyone using for system drive right now?
I'm thinking it would be better for me to use either a Seagate 7200.11 320gb or a WD 640GB AAKS, or even a hitachi 2.5" 7200rpm 320gb instead of a 1TB WD Green drive, so that the least amount of data is stored on the system drive (and now that WHS does not check landing zone space before trasfering...)

Right now I have a Seagate 7200.10 750g. Will be "downgrading" to a 7200.10 250g when I do the rebuild (finally got my Norco in, yah!)

I actually considered a 2.5" 80g (left over from netbook upgrade) in a dual drive carrier, pair it up with a 2.5" 500g as an extra data drive... Probably will stick with the 3.5" though

I just got done building both my Norco WHS and the HTPC in the living room this week and was wondering if there was a way to install WHS on my 640gb without letting it create a data pool on that drive? I already installed WHS with just the 640gb in a couple days ago and it automatically created a 20gb system drive and allocated the rest to D: for the DATA pool. I do not remember an option to set it up differently. Should I have had a second drive plugged in to designate as the storage pool drive? Did I just miss the option to set system/data pool sizes? Was the option not given BECAUSE the second drive was not plugged in? I admit the last few days are a little hazy with all the parts flying around my living room!

My system drive is a 160GB WD.

@cre3d: I had all 4 drives in when I did my initial install, it went on my 160GB and didn't partition it. I'm guessing it wants a poll when you install so it made one.

I had a hunch this was the case. I'll fly with it for now I guess. I don't foresee any major issues with it set up the way it is, though my OCD tells me otherwise!

I've already configured quite a few add-ins and migrated a bunch of data over, after the last few days I'm in no mood to do it all again :) It will probably bother me enough to reinstall within the week I'm sure..

<--- resurrecting the dead --->

any new information about system drives and what is the optimal size?

Any advantages to using a small or a big drive?

<--- resurrecting the dead --->

any new information about system drives and what is the optimal size?

Any advantages to using a small or a big drive?

The advantage is that you will find yourself less likley to need to upgrade the system drive in the future by going with a bigger drive. You will also get higher density.

Other than that, there are no more advantages or disadvantages.

My 160GB system drive is working great, since the system disk isn't used for anything else but the OS (and anything else you may install) space shouldn't be an issue.

Back