System going wierd, not booting, reporting random amounds of ram... help!

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running a Athlon 3500+, 1.5gb ddr400 ram (1x 1GB Samsung and 512mb Kinston) on a Asus A8N-VM board.

When I installed all this stuff I guess I neglected to check the ram amount posted... usually I never have problems so I never bothered. Today though, things were getting slow in Pinnacle so I checked my Task manager to see that it only reported 780 something ram... wierd number right? I shut down the system and thought maybe reseating the ram would help. Now the system didn't want to post... ok, so I moved the ram around to differnt slots. Now it booted but only reported 960mb ram... I know both the sticks work, and I've tried them on their on and got the system to post. Well, sometimes... sometimes the system will boot, other times nadda. I tired the one gig on it's own and I got 430mb ram, then I tried the 512 on it's own, got it post once and it said 512. I kept the 512 in there by it's self and next reboot the system would not boot. Any ideas? Is my system haunted?? lol...

Are you heavily overclocked? I had something similar (as well as various other boot problems) happen on my first overclocked rig, even though memtest and prime95 said everything was fine.

I don't overclock, running the 3500+ at stock 2.2ghz. the thing is I pulled this ram outta another working machine. The other machine has 2gb so I took a 1gb stick from it, and the kingston 512mb I bought. I highly doutb the memory is the problem, well it is, but I'm not sure if it's the board screwed up, memory imcompatability??

Any ideas off hand? I know forsure these sticks work but before I spend any more $$ on this 939 rig I want to narrow it down a little. Memory imcompatibility with the board, or maybe the board itself? Unfortunately I don't have any other ddr ram to test. Using the 512mb stick, sometimes it posts, sometimes it doesn't. Using the 1gb stick, usually it posts but at 960mb or some other weird number.
Last night I moved the sticks around again, first time resulted in no post, second move around resulted in 960mb (But I have 1.5gb right... so wtf?)

Back