System Plans - Please criticize!

Epicenter

Gawd
After months of off-and-on research I think I've finally settled on my components, liquid cooling system parts and configuration for my 'Dream Rig'. I'm confident everything will work out fine but I figure it is still a good idea to run this by you guys, as there are a couple aspects of the liquid cooling system I'm not 100% certain will cooperate. I'm not a liquid-cooling n00b-- my questions are mounting-related rather than theory. [I underlined the questions and made them boldface in case you don't feel like reading all this. ;)

The System:
- - - - - - - - - -
- Motherboard: DFI LanParty Ultra II B, nForce 2 with onboard Audio, Ethernet
- Processor: AMD Mobile Athlon XP Barton Core 2400+ [35W Version]
- Memory: Corsair XMS DDR500, 2x512 MB DDR
- VGA Card: Albatron GeForce FX 5900XT VIVO Model w/ 128 MB VRAM
- Seagate 160GB/7200RPM/8MB Cache EIDE Hard Disk (Model ST3120026A, OEM)
- Lite-On CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
- Super Flower / Directron SF-301 a.k.a. 301T3-S (http://directron.com/301t3s.html) ATX Case
- Antec TruePower-series 430W Power Supply

The Cooling:
- - - - - - - - -
- CPU Block: Swiftech MCW5002-A (Socket A, Socket Tab Hold-Down Variety) w/ 1/2 Fittings
- Chipset Block: Swiftech MCW20 for AMD/Intel Chipsets w/ 1/2 Fittings
- VGA Block: Swiftech MCW50-FX for GF-FX5800+ w/ 1/2 Fittings
- Pump: AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 w/ 1/2 Fittings
- Tubing: ClearFlex60 1/2" w/ 1/8" Wall
- Radiator: Black Ice Micro II, Dual 80mm Model w/ 3/8 Fittings
- Reservoir: Danger Den Clear Cylindrical Reservoir w/ 1/2 Fittings

Assembly:
- - - - - - - -
The plan is to remove the secondary HDD cage from the case (attached with Thumbscrews) and install the radiator on the 2 80mm holes there, with a 72 CFM Delta fan on the intake side, then 30 CFM approx. Green LED fans on the 'pull' side. How likely are the holes on the radiator (http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...Code=BIMicro2-CMBlue&Category_Code=R-Dual80mm)
to line up with those 2 fan holes? Should I opt for 2 separate Black Ice Micro 80mm radiators (far more expensive?)
. Once that's done I intend to attach 3/8" to 1/2" adapters to hook them to the rest of the system.

Then attach the Swiftech blocks to the CPU and 5900XT, and the chipset (assuming it fits an nForce2 chipset! Do you expect it will? If not I'll probably attach it with arctic ceramique.). Install approx. 30 CFM Green LED case fans in the other 2 holes in the back of the case for exhaust purposes. Mount the reservoir with the 80mm mounting kit to the blowhole in the top of the case, so the fill cap comes up through the top for easy filling and bleeding work.

Since the hard disk tray was removed, I'd put the disk into a Vantec VTX-C01-SL hard disk cooler mounted in a 5.25" bay. Then I'd mount an automatic fan controller, with a probe on tthe components to determine when to speed up or slow down the Delta fans. Noise isn't as big an issue to me as is efficient cooling.

Once everything was set up, I'd begin overclocking the CPU and GPU via FSB and multiplier boosts (plus some small VCore jumps) as far as I can go. I'm aiming for 2.5 GHz+ at under 120F. I picked what I did so I will have to make NO case mods more in-depth than turning some thumbscrews and pulling out a cage to accomodate the Rad.

Does this all sound feasible? Is the cooling good enough? Anything I should change? I figure if I do need more radiator surface area I could always put another 2x80mm Radiator on the back of the case (where the 2 80mm fans normally go) .. though I worry that perhaps that might allow heat taken from the water and put into the air by the first 2 radiators to re-enter the circuit. But that seems a bit doubtful.

Thank you very much for the input. :)

I'll comment on everything :)

*I would not buy that video card. You're dumping all this money into WC, and buying last years video card?
*I'm new to WC, but I've never seen that water pump mentioned. If its not proven, its probably not worth it.
*$115 for that case seems excessive, but then I don't mind cutting things up.
*good choice on the tubing, but I hope you're not buying it from the same place as your rad... DangerDen is about $1 per foot if you buy 10ft
*I don't see why you'd pay $50 for a twin 80mm rad with 3/8" fittings and no shroud, especially one that's painted, which decreases its efficiency. For $50 at dangerden, you can get a twin 120mm with 1/2 fittings and a pretty plexiglass shroud. I see the rad. is the only 3/8" component in your loop, another reason to go with an alternative. If you need to save money here, build your own shroud. If you want paint, paint it yourself, but only do the sides that people can see, not the parts that air flows through.
*I would build my own reservoir, but if you want the look, DD is probably a good choice. FYI, I've Heard/Read that Redline Water Wetter may promote cracks and/or leaks in the plastic reservoirs.
*I have no idea what your fitment issues will be, you could always email them and ask for specs and compare them with your board. I thought the mounting holes should be standard though, so as long as you don't have components in the way... (my vid. card partially covers the chipset)

I have to use 80mm radiators, I'm pretty much married to that case, and I hate modding. The Black Ice Micros (black) appear to be unpainted (except for the case around the fins.) Are they a decent pick?

Epicenter said:
I have to use 80mm radiators, I'm pretty much married to that case, and I hate modding.

Then get the case first; you'll be better able to plan by having the case right in front of you.

I'd suggest spending more for the Tygon tubing for the better bend radius, especially if you're including the NB in the loop, or you could get a Microcool Northpole for the NB.

Everyone's telling me things like: NO NO NO 80MM GOD NO HELL NO LOUDER THAN AIR HOTTER THAN AIR WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING. ... and then they say 1 120mm radiator will be a cure all and make everything run peachy. Is it really THAT important?!

I mean, the Swiftech 8600A set with 2 80mm rads did run around 55C with a 2.8 @3.5 GHz w/ boosted vcore. Not too cool. But the ambient air in the room was *30C!* My house is a constant 21C.

I would say if you want to get the dual 80mm then go for it. Besides it is your money and your case. But remember you asked for the their input. My only suggestion is toss the CD-RW\DVD-ROM optical go for a DVD±RW you can get a decent one now days for under a $100 US hell most the time you can get decent one for under $70 US just my .02 pesos

How well would *2* Dual 80mm rads work? 1 at the front, 1 at the back with relatively strong fans (controlled by baybus). Do the holes usually line up? I mean, if not I GUESS I can drill some. I'd just PREFER not to.

Epicenter said:
The System:
- - - - - - - - - -
- Motherboard: DFI LanParty Ultra II B, nForce 2 with onboard Audio, Ethernet
- Processor: AMD Mobile Athlon XP Barton Core 2400+ [35W Version]
- Memory: Corsair XMS DDR500, 2x512 MB DDR
- VGA Card: Albatron GeForce FX 5900XT VIVO Model w/ 128 MB VRAM
- Seagate 160GB/7200RPM/8MB Cache EIDE Hard Disk (Model ST3120026A, OEM)
- Lite-On CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
- Super Flower / Directron SF-301 a.k.a. 301T3-S (http://directron.com/301t3s.html) ATX Case
- Antec TruePower-series 430W Power Supply

1) a 9800pro modded to XT will be faster than a 5900xt
2) go with a sata drive instead of ide.
3) spending a little extra for a dvd burner would be nice.
4) id prefer the true480 just because more and more systems seem to be pushing the 400W threshold these days.

I changed my mind-- I am getting a GeForce FX 6800 from Albatron.

As for the PSU. 430w is FAR more than enough. Greater than that is only needed for use of the GeForce 6800 ULTRA, Radeon X800, or several pumps and/or a peltier. Of course, with a pelt you want a separate PSU anyway.

As for SATA-- it provides barely ANY performance increase on its own. Its only real advantages are for newer drives (10,000 RPM and up) and for saving a little space-- otherwise it just jacks up the price. And since there are no SATA Optical drives using it as a spacesaver is pretty much useless too.

I am considering a DVD burner. Too bad the media is still so expensive.

Back