System powers on but wont boot, need help please

msny

2[H]4U
Guys-

New build about 3 weeks old, details in sig.
Been working perfectly, no issues until this morning.
Passed all stress tests early on. System is not OC'ed.

Heres the issue now.
This morning, while in the [H], having coffee and reading up, I suddenly lost video
but the system was still powered up. It was like the monitor shut off by itself
yet the system was still running.

So, I shut off the PS, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, then hit the
case power button. I can hear it try to spin up, then it shuts down for a couple
of seconds, and trys to spin up again on its own. Seems like the fans are all
spinning and the fan control lights and the system case light has power and comes on.

But, no post, no beeps, no video, nothing.
I repeated this a few times, but get same result.
Powers on, stops, powers on again ect.

So without looking into the case (had to go to work right away) where should I start to
troubleshoot this problem when I get home?

You guys are the experts, thanks for your help in advance.

Was the monitor still on when this happened?
Yes -> Check to make sure your Video Input cables are plugged in securely.
No -> Re-seat your video card.

I've had a lot of trouble with loose monitor cables recently, I have to screw them in 100%. Also, I'm no expert but this is a good starting point!

Was the monitor still on when this happened?
Yes -> Check to make sure your Video Input cables are plugged in securely.
No -> Re-seat your video card.

I've had a lot of trouble with loose monitor cables recently, I have to screw them in 100%. Also, I'm no expert but this is a good starting point!

Yes, of course, the monitor was still on, I was surfing the [H].
Will double check that.

But I'm thinking that would not cause the boot issues I'm having
in trying to restart the system.

"I can hear it try to spin up, then it shuts down for a couple
of seconds, and trys to spin up again on its own. "

Did you move it around in the last day or so? Just had that exact symptom with a work PC yesterday...it had been moved and the power supply cable to the mobo was loose. Fans tried to spin up every 3 seconds or so, but didnt have enough juice to boot. Disconnected all the motherboard power cables and reconnected, it worked.

"I can hear it try to spin up, then it shuts down for a couple
of seconds, and trys to spin up again on its own. "

Did you move it around in the last day or so? Just had that exact symptom with a work PC yesterday...it had been moved and the power supply cable to the mobo was loose. Fans tried to spin up every 3 seconds or so, but didnt have enough juice to boot. Disconnected all the motherboard power cables and reconnected, it worked.

Yes, it sits on my desk, and I pulled it towards me a little bit to take off the
side cover, and install another fan the other day. The PS sits on the bottom
of the case and the cord overhangs the desk in back.

That could be it, maybe your onto to something there, I may have dislodged
the power cord to the PS ever so slightly. Hope thats it, cause it simple...:p

Went home for lunch today, turned the PS on, then the case power, and lo and behold it turned on!

I will also shut it down and inspect all the power connections for tightness inside the case.
I will keep an eye on it, thanks much.

If still having issues unplug the power to the psu take out the cmos battery and leave it for 10 - 15mins. Unplug all internal cards/hdd's except for the video card and 1 stick of ram then put the battery back in and see if it shows video and work from there.

Sounds like m/b as you get no beep code, some m/b's need you to plug in a speaker to the board for it to work.

If worse comes to worse take the m/b out and try running it out of the case to rule out any grounding of the wrong pins.

If still having issues unplug the power to the psu take out the cmos battery and leave it for 10 - 15mins. Unplug all internal cards/hdd's except for the video card and 1 stick of ram then put the battery back in and see if it shows video and work from there.

Sounds like m/b as you get no beep code, some m/b's need you to plug in a speaker to the board for it to work.

If worse comes to worse take the m/b out and try running it out of the case to rule out any grounding of the wrong pins.

Got ya!
The motherboard speaker is installed.

OK, I've reseateded all my power connections, the problem has
appeared to be gone.

Thanks for suggestions.

Back