System will not boot-intermittent issue

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
My dad's PC is having an odd issue. The other morning he informed me that his PC wasn't working.

I went to go check it out and noticed that nothing at all happened when I tried to power it on. I unplugged all the external power connections and let it sit while I thought about what to do.

I had unhooked everything from the power strip and turned it off. Later, I hooked everything back up, turned the power strip back on and hit the reset on the power strip. System booted up fine, except for the system clock having defaulted.

Today he has the same issue. This time I tried the same steps as before and nothing happened- was not a loose connection/power problem as I had suspected. When I plugged the system in I noticed that the PSU fan was spinning, but nothing else happened. Nothing spun up- system did not attempt to post.

So I used the jumper to clear the cmos and that did the trick just fine- the system booted up. I've checked the voltages and toher obvious stuff and it all seems fine. The system works fine until he powers it down, and then the issue repeats itself.

Seems to be a mobo issue- bad cmos battery?

Back