T-Mobile in building service?

entropism

2[H]4U
In September, my girlfriend will start teaching at a high school in Newark, NJ. The area itself shows perfect coverage, but she used to have T-Mobile back in the RAZR days, and in building reception was nonexistant. She'd have to stand outside her college dorms to make a call. Due to ummm... Safety issues in Newark schools, we want to make sure she'll have the ability to make a call in an emergency. Anyone have experience in similar situations?

Just left my job at Sprint for AT&T, and a family plan at T-Mo with either G2s or Mytouch 4Gs is actually cheaper than the employee plan AT&T would give us. Never experienced T-mobile (at least not since 2002), so it would be good to hear from anyone with experience.

i have no issues using t-mobile inside of my workplace to make calls and we are all metal studs for interior and exterior walls

How big is the building? We're talking a fairly large (5000+ student) high school here, in one of the worst neighborhoods in the country. I want to make sure she's safe, you know?

Edit: Really wish I was able to try it out beforehand, but unfortunately I won't be able to

i would say better than OTA calls. so as long as the building has wifi, i think she will be good to go, even if the building tries to block her signal.

How big is the building? We're talking a fairly large (5000+ student) high school here, in one of the worst neighborhoods in the country. I want to make sure she's safe, you know?

Edit: Really wish I was able to try it out beforehand, but unfortunately I won't be able to

my normal job? heavy equipment facility my other job (PC installation and removal, it could be a house or the IDS tower in size but most are steel wharehouse industrial complex style buildings.

No wifi in building. Newark is like a war zone these days.

there is a period of time where u can cancel the contract and return the phone. that is why i hate new jersey over all, it has been going down hill and every person i have met from there, i wished would go back north lol

My experience with T-Mobile indoors was horrible. I loved their service and plans (unlimited texting for $5/mo. was awesome), but indoors I missed/dropped calls all the time. When I called their support, they explained that the contract states something about coverage being outdoors.

T-Mobile with my 2G/3G phone is spotty with 3G. The only time you get 3G is in major parts of town, or highways, Anywhere else is edge 2G capped at 30kb/sec. I have tried their service all the way in the SE corner of the USA to the farthest NW corner......

Indoors is just horrible, and I usually have worse than AT&T signal when there is a ATT user near me. If I go into the courthouse locally lets say, I will get 0 bars inside and ATT people will still be making calls and such, very annoying.....

I find it laughable they claim 4G (when its technically not even 4G they're using), and the fact they rarely get 3G into my phone... no way am I considering T-Mobile again, especially with their bs and stuff lately. I even had them lie one time to upcharge (long story, they lied big time and wouldn't reverse it)

And I use one of their most popularly advertised new phones.....

I NEVER drop a call though, and I usually always have 2G service so I can't complain that much even though I paid for 3G and thought I would always have it... the sad thing is I tested (2) 3G T-mobile towers and the signal fades VERY, VERY short of a distance while 2G from the same tower obviously goes more than 1+ miles farther. I check tmobiles tower website so I know its their towers.... on top of the fact I get full bars underneath the towers....

Last edited:
Again, testing it out beforehand is impossible. We have to switch within the next month, and she doesn't start at the school until August.

As for NJ, 80% of it is actually quite nice. Unfortunately you have areas like Camden & Newark (the worst ghettos in the US), or people that are shown on the Jersey Shore. MOST people in NJ mock the Jersey Shore mercilessly. They're called Bennies, and are almost universally hated.

Get on the T-mobile prepaid plan and test it out. Just pay for the minutes and you can switch whenever you feel like. Ask ATT for the unlock codes for your current phones so all you need to buy is the $10 sim card.

Always worked indoor for me, even in the back of a walmart. I would just try it, you have two weeks.

Back