Tagan, Fortron alternatives?

Ren H

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble finding a psu that meets my requirements.
Simply put the Tagan U22 line comes very close.
500w+
low ripple
active PFC
high 12v 5v amperage
EPS
in-line fans: doesn't take away from space for heatsinks, potentially better than bottom mount i.e no dead spots, doesn't interfere with airflow through cpu heatsink (I have a case fan for that ;-) )

But fails in that:
reportedly runs hot under load (not very good efficiency)
reports of poor quality capacitors (especially of concern if the psu is running hot)
weak 12v rail (heat related?)

It also has a feature allowing combining the dual 12v rails. How much of this is hype? Doesn't the circuitry of most psu's make this a moot point? For which brands is this true?

I'm considering the Epsilons but I've read comparisons showing the ripple as higher than the competition. The 460w version of the same GLN line (also available from Zalman) apparently has very low ripple but doesn't quite have the wattage I'm looking for. I've also been reading reports of troubles with the Seasonic S12 not rebooting without cooling down first.

Are there alternatives I should consider? If not I will consider more expensive alternatives.

tia

Sag in the 12V of a Topower isn't heat related because I can get one to sag with one touch of the load tester's button.

Alternatives:

Sytrin / Masscool 460W
Silverstone ST50EF
Asus Atlas 500W or 550W or Cooler Master Real Power 550W
nSpire 550W or Thermaltake TR2 550W

I've reviewed a few of those...

Of course... how could I forget that AMS Mercury.

Back