Take a chance with the dell 2007wfp?

bobjones

Weaksauce
i'm looking at getting a 2007wfp, seems like the best widescreen lcd out right now for what I need it to do (mainly games), that's still in my price range.

but it appears like it's really hit or miss with this thing. you either get a badass monitor, or a piece of shit that's going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. and even then it's not assured that you're going to get a good one.

so i don't know...i've kept browsing around to see what else is out there but i can't find anything as sexy as the 2007wfp...

so do i just cross my fingers and hope i have enough karma to win me a good one?

I would go with the gateway fpd2185w 21" monitor. Its only $500 now and it is a great monitor, I have two of them.

bobjones said:
i'm looking at getting a 2007wfp, seems like the best widescreen lcd out right now for what I need it to do (mainly games), that's still in my price range.

but it appears like it's really hit or miss with this thing. you either get a badass monitor, or a piece of shit that's going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. and even then it's not assured that you're going to get a good one.

so i don't know...i've kept browsing around to see what else is out there but i can't find anything as sexy as the 2007wfp...

so do i just cross my fingers and hope i have enough karma to win me a good one?
You have a small chance of getting a PVA panel right now if you're ordering in the US (higher chance elsewhere in the world, it seems). The banding issues seem to have been resolved (although for mine, I think there's a slight problem). I had some dead pixels (but the chance of this happening is probably the same of any LCD), but Dell is sending me a replacement at no additional charge. I think on the whole, you don't need to pray too hard for a good unit. If you're unsatisfied, just complain hard for a new one or refund.

Be sure to check slickdeals.net for 20% coupons (or get them on eBay for a couple of bucks). If you use the Dell Preferred Acount right now, you get an additional 4% off (Dell Home). Pretty much: $400 base price - 20% - 4% + tax (free shipping). Pretty good deal for an S-IPS monitor. IMO, if you're looking for a 20-inch LCD right now, go for it. =)

be sure to buy one of those nifty $35 off coupons for $1 on ebay.

$$ off and %% of stack at dhell

Be happy you guys don't live in Sweden. I got my 2007WFP last week, and it had horrible backlight bleeding from the left side. To get it replaced, they demand I send in PHOTOS of the problem, or they won't do anything.

Guess custome service isn't the same across the world.

J Macker said:
be sure to buy one of those nifty $35 off coupons for $1 on ebay.

$$ off and %% of stack at dhell
Recently, the best you can do is $25 off coupons, but people are selling those for at least $9 with "shipping." I don't think anything like that is available for Dell Home right now though. You'd want Dell Home (instead of Business) for the free shipping. Also, AFAIK, only you can't stack more than one dollar-off discount and one percent-off discount.

Check at the end of this thread for coupon codes: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=229505&highlight=dell
Those one time use coupon codes get gobbled off pretty quickly, so eBay might be the easier route. Good luck. =)

vlad_Swe said:
Be happy you guys don't live in Sweden. I got my 2007WFP last week, and it had horrible backlight bleeding from the left side. To get it replaced, they demand I send in PHOTOS of the problem, or they won't do anything.

Guess custome service isn't the same across the world.
That's crazy. I pretty much talked with someone on the phone for 15 minutes (going through all the checks), and then they agreed to send me the replacement. On an earlier purchase, I chatted with a rep on their website. She didn't understand English too well as I explained the problem, so I think she just said "okay, we'll send a replacement to you."

I think sometimes you get lucky on who you talk to. The lazier the rep, the more power to you. =)

I just RMA'ed my 3007. It was an interesting call. They were dragging their feet about the RMA, until I mentioned the B-word. As soon as I told them I was having some banding issues, they basically stopped and issued me a replacement monitor without any further discussion.

Although I think it is too late for the OP. I always order my stuff from Dell's small business section. The small business call center is in the US, not India like dell home.

well it was $350 all said and done (I wasn't expecting free shipping).
i was cutting it close as all the 20% off coupons expired today.

i also saw some $50 off coupons on ebay, but the guy was selling them for $45...

For what its worth, I got mine at the end of August and have been nothing but pleased. Great IQ, no defects etc. Couldn't be happier for well under $400. That's what I spent on the *POS* 17" viewsonic it replaced about 3 1/2 years ago, and its one hell of an upgrade.

bobjones said:
well it was $350 all said and done (I wasn't expecting free shipping).
i was cutting it close as all the 20% off coupons expired today.

i also saw some $50 off coupons on ebay, but the guy was selling them for $45...
Yeah, people selling coupons get more greedy everyday. Free shipping definitely helps, but the tax is annoying. If you used the Dell Preferred Account, you would have gotten an additional 4% off.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase.

It was 339 or so 2 weeks ago when i made the purchase. It came out great and enjoy the result.

smilepak said:
It was 339 or so 2 weeks ago when i made the purchase. It came out great and enjoy the result.
I think the price he listed is with all applicable fees. Mine was $306. Tax and the state environment fee made it $338.

Ordered yesterday, and received today (Tis good to be in Austin). S-IPS panel, no banding, no dead pixels. Everything looks perfect!

my experience

tried to order one online, used 20%, tried to sign up for dell preferred, unable to process, called dell, provisional approval given for dell preferred but NO 4% discount (promotion is over), thought all is well, get phone call in morning to verify dell account, half english speaking heavy hispanic accent old lady on phone unable to verify, call dell back speak to random person to have it billed to a cc, told would not be able to use coupon anymore since expired on day of order, explained how unfair situation was, was given extension to person who sold me the monitor, left message have not received call back

a big f u to the person above who got me through all this headache for falsely stating that opening a dell preferred would give you 4% off

dano1122 said:
my experience

tried to order one online, used 20%, tried to sign up for dell preferred, unable to process, called dell, provisional approval given for dell preferred but NO 4% discount (promotion is over), thought all is well, get phone call in morning to verify dell account, half english speaking heavy hispanic accent old lady on phone unable to verify, call dell back speak to random person to have it billed to a cc, told would not be able to use coupon anymore since expired on day of order, explained how unfair situation was, was given extension to person who sold me the monitor, left message have not received call back

a big f u to the person above who got me through all this headache for falsely stating that opening a dell preferred would give you 4% off
Hey buddy, just because you had a bad experience with Dell doesn't mean I lied about it or gave you any right to flame me. I only wrote down the deal that I got myself to help others. There is no reason put out any extra effort to fool anyone on this forum, which has been very helpful for me.

It really is too bad things didn't work out for you, but since you sound like such a jerk, maybe karma was just giving you back a big f u.

Here's a screen shot of the Order confirmation that Dell sent me: http://upitfree.com/v2/show.php/2031_dpa.gif.html

Before you come back and say I photoshopped it or whatever else, realize most people, including myself, don't have time to go out their way to trick people.

my bad, i guess the bitch on the dell phone just wanted more commission. what a headache. she still hasn't called me back and probably never will.
was able to reup the 20% coupon tho from a post on slickdeals, so no harm done.

dano1122 said:
my bad, i guess the bitch on the dell phone just wanted more commission. what a headache. she still hasn't called me back and probably never will.
was able to reup the 20% coupon tho from a post on slickdeals, so no harm done.
That's good. Well, enjoy your purchase, and I hope you don't get any dead pixels and the rest is smooth. =)

Back