take out your crystal balls, i have a question about the future of 30" monitors

bagelrain

n00b
Do you guys think that 30" 2560x1600 monitors will ever be released as glossy? not semi-glossy, but straight-up glossy?

What do you guys think?

Never described my balls as CRYSTAL (brass yes) but I'll take a stab at it:

I'm betting the next true generation (not the incremental improvements we have seen over the past 5 years or so) will be a scaled-up 27" 256x1440 rather than the current 2560x1600 to conform with the 16:9 trend that overtook 1920x1200 with 1920x1080. Since the majority of monitors these days seem to be glossy I expect that the new 30" will be too.

Never described my balls as CRYSTAL (brass yes) but I'll take a stab at it:

I'm betting the next true generation (not the incremental improvements we have seen over the past 5 years or so) will be a scaled-up 27" 256x1440 rather than the current 2560x1600 to conform with the 16:9 trend that overtook 1920x1200 with 1920x1080. Since the majority of monitors these days seem to be glossy I expect that the new 30" will be too.

I never understood why that happened. I bought my 1920x1200 monitor years and years ago, and because of that stupid trend I really haven't been able to upgrade to anything worthwhile because everything was a step down in resolution. Hopefully this 27" trend continues and since we are already seeing the Korean monitors in 30", I don't know much bigger you can go without it being -too- big.

Absolutely 4K is the future - the question is when will it be *AFFORDABLE*. You have the not-insignificant problem that there aren't a heck of a lot of video cards that support 4K.

Hazro will likely be the first to release a glossy 30" IPS (with the new LED back-lit panel), next spring at the earliest but their products are only available in Europe. I doubt NEC & HP will offer a glossy 30" so your next hope is Dell and they usually release their new displays in August and the Fall. Achieva/CrossOver/Yamakasi might release a glossy 30" with LG's current CFFL back-lit panel, but it will be wide gamut and have poor black levels compared to the 27" offerings.

Just get a 27" 1440p display now, they are way better than any current 30" and cost less...so you loose 160 pixels and a few inches, but you get good black levels, grain free matte coatings or glossy/glass and faster pixel response times on select models.

It has a matte coating and a glossy bezel. An overclock owner confirmed this.

Are there any non-Korean 2560x1440/1600 glossy monitors yet that aren't made by Apple?

I have a different take on the matter. I was at the Microsoft Store yesterday purchasing the samsung 700T hybrid labptop/tablet. They had 8 desktop computers on display from manufacturers like Samsung, Lenovo and Dell and the common denumerator of all these systems was a 27 inch, glossy 10 point touch screen. I believe Mac OS will follow Windows in this case and relelase a touch version of their own operating system and desktop's and laptops. A touch screen 27 incher was way more comfortable to navigate the menu's etc and actually lowered my use of the mouse for desktop and browsing needs. For computing, coding, schematics etc.. I am completly mouse bound still but everything else, right hand on the keyboard left hand on the screen instantly zooming in zooming out, scrolling and selecting, it was pretty darn good on that 27. I felt like Tom Cruise in minority report :)

So I say future of computing is 2560x1600 and above 30+ inch glossy touchscreen displays.

Last I've heard, research shows that using touch on such large monitors sucks, because it takes a great deal more effort when compared to using a mouse. Has anyone heard something similar?

Last I've heard, research shows that using touch on such large monitors sucks, because it takes a great deal more effort when compared to using a mouse. Has anyone heard something similar?

Mine was personal experience and I loved it, mouse could be faster, but that does not necessarily mean it is easier, more fun or engaging. Ofcourse I would not play Starcraft2 using finger gestures on a screen ,or try to edit the properties of a transistor buried 6 layers deep in a schematic, but for tap on email scroll down, read, tap on reply, type message on keyboard, tap on screen to send is better than mouse.

Simply put... if you can control your lighting conditions why put some filter in front of your expensive screen?

Maybe because the "filter" doesn't look bad at all and no one wants to live in a cave. Just food for thought. The current rage over glossy screens is way overblown. Consumers always want what they don't currently have, in a few years, glossy screens will be forgotten and people will say, who wants a glossy screen and have to deal with glare and reflections? We don't live in a cave.

I don't even like touch screen on a tablet or smart phone, I'm certain I wouldn't like it any more on a monitor sitting vertically in front of me.

27" touch screens have terrible ergonomics for long working hours. expect shoulder pain after a few days using it.

Personally I think anything over 27" - 30" as a primary monitor space at desk distances is too big, making game scene elements/objects all "jumbo" and pushing scene and HUDs, notification, pointers,chat etc into the periphery.
.I'm thinking 4k screens might be more geared twd movies, and thus likely to be VA type lcd panels for that reason, which are usually considered a poor choice as an all around computer monitor. They might include other tv "enhancements" which are not desirable for a computer monitor/gaming also. As others mentioned, their price too. Quad Full HD LG panels were mentioned at CES though, which would be around 27" 3840 x 2160, 60hz ips panels (QFHD ~ "grid of four 1080p", still 16:9). LG makes the panels for apple cinema displays too btw so maybe they will show up there earlier.
.... These would be nice for desktop displays but they would still be worse at motion for games, smearing due to the higher response times of ips and lack of aggressive response time compensation/RTC-error-reduction. Their motion tracking would also be worse at 60hz than a 120hz input monitor, so game movement would not track as smoothly and you would be getting less recent game data than you would at higher fps with 120hz of screen updates sent to a panel per second.
Regarding touch screens, the main display being touch screen is a waste outside of a tablet/mini laptop or kiosk functions imo. Why keep your arm up all that time? "Fingerpainting" at arm extension is not ergonomic at all. If anything, horizontally/tilt oriented ergo monitor arms with small displays at hands reach corresponding to the main screen would make more sense. Similar to the lcd graphic tablets used for computer artistry/cgi , etc. (though those use pressure sensitive graphic pens).

Regarding touch screens, the main display being touch screen is a waste outside of a tablet/mini laptop or kiosk functions imo. Why keep your arm up all that time? "Fingerpainting" at arm extension is not ergonomic at all. If anything, horizontally/tilt oriented ergo monitor arms with small displays at hands reach corresponding to the main screen would make more sense. Similar to the lcd graphic tablets used for computer artistry/cgi , etc. (though those use pressure sensitive graphic pens).

Don't look at everything as black and white. Having a touch screen gives you the option of using touch gestures, not forcing you. It is one more way to interact with your computer and since operating systems are taking a turn for the touch, it is nice to be able to do certain things using touch. Here is an example, right now I am typing this post on my keyboard, both of my hands are on it and I am typing using almost all my fingers, if right at this moment an email notification popped up on the bottom right corner of my screen, and I wanted to read it immediately, it would be much easier to lift my right hand and touch the notification with my right index finder and then resizing the mail window with two fingers, than to lift my right hand, look to my right make eye contact with the mouse, place my hand on the mouse, locate mouse pointer on screen and click on the notification and do other things. Also the word "re-sizing" that I purposely misspelled a sentence earlier would be much easier to correct just by flicking it with the tip of my finger, instead, again lift right hand, find mouse, place hand and fingers on correct position, locate pointer, put pointer on the wrong word, right click while making sure the pointer is not moving ( I have a sensitive pointer), and select the right word from the list.

if right at this moment an email notification popped up on the bottom right corner of my screen, and I wanted to read it immediately, it would be much easier to lift my right hand and touch the notification with my right index finder and then resizing the mail window with two fingers, than to lift my right hand, look to my right make eye contact with the mouse, place my hand on the mouse, locate mouse pointer on screen and click on the notification and do other things. Also the word "re-sizing" that I purposely misspelled a sentence earlier would be much easier to correct just by flicking it with the tip of my finger, instead, again lift right hand, find mouse, place hand and fingers on correct position, locate pointer, put pointer on the wrong word, right click while making sure the pointer is not moving ( I have a sensitive pointer), and select the right word from the list.

There is a significant bias in your description. You break up the process of using a mouse to click a notification into gradual pieces while trivializing the use of a touchscreen. Personally, I don't ever have to break eye contact with the screen to locate the mouse. Furthermore, I find correcting spelling mistakes to be MUCH easier on the PC compared to on my phone or tablet. It sounds like you need a new mouse or a less sensitive configuration if your pointer is prone to movement when right clicking.

Maybe because the "filter" doesn't look bad at all and no one wants to live in a cave. Just food for thought. The current rage over glossy screens is way overblown. Consumers always want what they don't currently have, in a few years, glossy screens will be forgotten and people will say, who wants a glossy screen and have to deal with glare and reflections? We don't live in a cave.
Im perfectly fine with laptops and lower end monitors having matte. But on higher end there is no reason for filters where the whole point is clarity/picture quality and you don't have to live in a cave. Just invest in some better shades rearrange you area it is not that difficult.

I think there will be some new AH-IPS 30" monitors next year, but it looks like the 31,5" 3840x2160 monitors will become the new high end in monitors for years to come. Personally I'm going to buy a 27" 2560x1440 next year to replace my eyefinity set, and maybe in a few years switch to a 31,5" if they drop to current 30" price levels.

i would love a 24' LCD with 2560 res.. like back when i had my dell inspiron 9100 15' screen that had 1920x res

There is a significant bias in your description. You break up the process of using a mouse to click a notification into gradual pieces while trivializing the use of a touchscreen. Personally, I don't ever have to break eye contact with the screen to locate the mouse. Furthermore, I find correcting spelling mistakes to be MUCH easier on the PC compared to on my phone or tablet. It sounds like you need a new mouse or a less sensitive configuration if your pointer is prone to movement when right clicking.

Well ofcourse there is bias, it is my opinion lol, at the same time your response describes your point of view.

Back