Taking out rivets?

HRslammR

2[H]4U
i'm eyein the lian-li for a mod. but! how do i take out the rivets in order for me to do it?

drill? some other method?

so it's just drlling through it until it pops out?

does it matter which side to drill through first?

drill through the nicer side with the hole in it.. not the back. get a bit approx the size of the rivet stem or whatever and drill though it and try to pry it out. If it won't go then you probably need to get a little bigger bit.

Too big of a bit and you'll have to find bigger screws for it later.. I'd try not to make the hole larger.

HRslammR said:
so it's just drlling through it until it pops out?

does it matter which side to drill through first?

You just want to drill the head off it not drill right through the hole. Once the drill wears the head off the rivet you should be able to pick it off by hand. Make sure you do this with an empty case and wash out all the metal filings afterward. No matter how careful you think you are you DON'T want to do this with components in your case.

ya you drill out the rivets and when your done you can get a rivet gun and put it back together or just use screws

HRslammR said:
i'm eyein the lian-li for a mod. but! how do i take out the rivets in order for me to do it?

drill? some other method?

use a 1/8 Drill bit and make sure it is on center of rivet , get a pop-rivet gun to replace , there cheap!

GIGAHZ said:
use a 1/8 Drill bit and make sure it is on center of rivet , get a pop-rivet gun to replace , there cheap!

What he said..........GIGAHZ!!!!!!!.............LTNS!!! Where ya been hiding??

ither use a drill or if you can fit something behind the rivit to cut the end of the rivit off go with that, kuz it may keep the existing hole more in tact so you wont have to find bigger rivits. if all else fails use a hammer and a cold chisel to cut off the front end of the rivit, that works too

let me know how it goes paul (id put money on it that you fuck up your case and regret it) but if it goes well then im doing it to mine :p

Wow... How timely. I just figgured this out on my own (tedious trial and error) Saturday.
My son and I are modding the case for his first PC. I picked up the Silver Hawk mid-tower for about $35 US. It's got an aluminum bezel! Very happy with my purchase.
Anyhow...
I just picked a drill bit which was about the same size as the hole in the rivet, and drilled it all the way through. Then I tried pulling off the top with a small hole tapper. Didn't work. So I went one size up on the drill bit and drilled again. Worked like a charm. Got some needle nose to pull off the back part, and presto! about 15 rivets later, the case was apart and ready to go to the cutting stage. The original holes weren't touched. I used a large enough drill bit to remove the metal from the sides of the rivet cap but not big enough to hit the case. I'd suggest going to the store and picking up a drill kit with a wide variety of sizes. I don't remember what size worked on the case.

We are really excited about this mod. When I get more, interesting pics of the project, I'll post 'em. :)

Back