Taking the i7990X Plunge

BigBallinGPR

Limp Gawd
Just placed the order today, coupled it with an Intel BOXDX58SO2. I'll be chronicling the whole process w/ pictures, first impressions, unboxings and what not.

As for the reason: well, it definitely didn't come out of necessity :p, more of an impulse buy than anything else.

I'm currently running a triple monitor gaming setup with three 19" dells running off of two GTX 460 768's in SLI. The games I play that utilize all three: BFBC2, Dirt 2, Metro 2033 and a few others. I'll be sure to include my first impressions with each of those games as well as overall system feel.

Anyone lokoing to buy a core i5 750 and an MSI p-55 GD-65? =D

Update 5/27/2011:
Guys, thanks for the concern and all cost wise, I'm a college student and understand the budget segment pretty damn well as that's where I buy from currently (hence the gtx460 steup) save this one purchase. Because of certain circumstances, I was able to get the 990x + mobo for a fraction of its retail price, which is why I bought it. I would have nothing to do with this setup had it not been for a once in a lifetime opportunity that allowed me to afford it. Even with the discount, I was still seriously debating it as I really want to be able to say that I own a piece of silicon that has the finfet transistor chuggin away at its core with the IB processors whenever they are gonna come out. That aside, even with the realization that this will probably be the last 1366 processor and my current config didn't support it, I couldn't say no. So please, even though I understand the financial standpoint, I realize all of this and do not this to turn into a debate on that.

With that said, I just want to be able to provide you guys with a fellow [H]ard community member's perspective on the processor, from arrival through installation and benchmarking. I know there are quite a few formal reviews out there, but I feel that I might be able to provide you guys with unique opportunities to ask questions and get answers/results that are specific to your interests from a benchmarking, gaming and specific setups standpoint.

Update: 6/1/2011
The CPU and motherboard both arrived on my doorstep today! I was pretty excited, put everything together, was about to install the heatsink and . . . . I can't find my thermal paste! I'm going to make a quick run over to Fry's and pick some up when rush hour dies down. But as for now, here are some photos. Keep in mind any benches and what not you'd like to see from my i5 setup before I make the switch I can't let the beast sit idle for too long :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63618515@N06/

Last edited:
are you keeping your current videocards? You should do lots of benchmarks on your current setup first to compare.

Good call, I'll definitely do before and after performance evaluations with respect to a lot of different synthetic benchmarks, application benchmarks and games.

Actually, why don't you guys pm me or post what would be of direct interest to you regarding the specific benchmarks and what not, I think that would be a good way for all of you to get the most out of this thread.

Just placed the order today, coupled it with an Intel BOXDX58SO2. I'll be chronicling the whole process w/ pictures, first impressions, unboxings and what not.

As for the reason: well, it definitely didn't come out of necessity :p, more of an impulse buy than anything else.

I'm currently running a triple monitor gaming setup with three 19" dells running off of two GTX 460 768's in SLI. The games I play that utilize all three: BFBC2, Dirt 2, Metro 2033 and a few others. I'll be sure to include my first impressions with each of those games as well as overall system feel.

-Ballin

Edit: Anyone lokoing to buy a core i5 750 and an MSI p-55 GD-65? =D

was this a good buy??

p67
2 x 4gb ram
2 6950 or 2 570
3 21in monitors

that is about the same ball park as what you just purchased.

If this is primerally a gaming rig then my gut feeling is you have wasted your money on the 990x. Afaict few if any games benefit from more than four cores and when it comes to individual core performance sandy bridge is the king.

-BallinW
W
Well I think the 990 will be the last latest greatest cpu for the 1366 x58 mobos. Too bad it was a good platform. I'm hanging onto mine for a while yet. Nice with extreme chips just dial up cpu multiplier & test what your cpu will run at, while everything else is on auto. You
can try volt tweaks later. My old 965x prime95s with 29.0 multi at 3875Mhz

that 990x is going to shine when BF3 comes out, the game will support up to 6 or more cores according to DICE.

dont listen to the 2500k-2600k owners, they just jealous.

that 990x is going to shine when BF3 comes out, the game will support up to 6 or more cores according to DICE.

dont listen to the 2500k-2600k owners, they just jealous.

where did you see that? can i get a link?

-Ballin

you shouldve spent that money on a 2600k plus three 24" monitor.

lol

Just a thought.

-Ballin

The games you play aren't going to benefit over the current SB cpus. Pretty much zero improvement over the 2600K. You must do the encoding or other cpu intense work, otherwise, you will see no difference.

Don't forget that we are going to have an IB soon, and more importantly the Bulldozer with the 6 cores. Overall the 990X is not a good purchase at this time, unless you want it really bad and don't care about the money. That might be the reason you bought it.

Overall the 990X is not a good purchase at this time, unless you want it really bad and don't care about the money. That might be the reason you bought it.

how often is a $1000 cpu a "good" purchase for the money? if you are doing something that really benefits from 6 cores, maybe, but for gaming, i dont think so.

Holy shit! That 990X is a grand? Geeeeezus. I really like the 1366 platform as well, I recently upgraded my system with a 950. I think it will last me at least another year before I get the itch for more power.

Could of saved and went for a 980x from MC, some stores still have them for 700.

Back