Taking the QX9650 to 3.8 with stock HSF using only multiplier

DarkElfa

n00b
It's coming from the Egg on Friday and that's my intent, to take it to 3.8 using the stock HSF only and using the multiplier only. I'm planning on using doing about 1.222 on the Vcore, so I think that should keep it stable. I'm not going to mess with the FSB since I'm using 8gb of DDR2-800 and I'm trying to see how this thing will clock noob style using only the basics, though I will be using AS5 on the cooler rather than the stock wax. The board is a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 and the ram is OCZ Reaper HPC Edition. Any ideas or suggestions, perhaps some wise words or stories of how high this thing can clock on stock cooling?

Using the P35-DS4 rev 2.1 board myself, and I'm thinking of taking my Q6600 back down to 3.00ghz because of coil noise on the motherboard. At 3.2 and above the noise becomes quite loud. Your motherboard may fair better though, so I wish you luck.

well im on phase so i don't really know but i think 3.8-4Ghz would be possible with the monsterous stock hsf.

I dont think you will reach 3.8 on 1.22 sorry....

1.28+ will be required.

Also, it all depends on the chip, I have a E8400 that wont go over 3.8ghz without 1.4v

I understand, so 1.28 - 3.00 would be a better idea. So do you think 3.5 - 3.6 is a more likely outcome on stock?

yea, with stock voltage you could probably do 3.5ghz. Usually arround there is when additional voltage should be added for stability purposes.You might get 3.6 on stock, but once you move upwards from there, 1.28-1.32 may be required. I dont know much about the stock HSF on these, but as long as temps are OK, these chips can go upwards of 1.4v.

Well, I actually meant the stock cooler, not the voltage, but your info is good to know, thank you. I am rather nervous, but I'm not planning on doing any records, I just want to get a nice overclock out of it to use everyday.

Back