talk me out of a crt

that should have said...
$300 budget, photoshop, no games, which lcd?

I am loving my SOYO 24" from office max. If you don't get a TN panel, seems like a really good deal. In store = 280+ tax.

More specifics? What size are you looking for etc.

A Dell 2007WFP with an IPS panel would be a nice choice. You can get a used one easily with that budget, maybe a new one if you are lucky.

I am loving my SOYO 24" from office max. If you don't get a TN panel, seems like a really good deal. In store = 280+ tax.

More specifics? What size are you looking for etc.
I'm looking at a 21" nec crt for 279 shipped new with 3 year warranty.
So something comparable.

I'm looking at a 21" nec crt for 279 shipped new with 3 year warranty.
So something comparable.

Aperture Grill CRT?

If it's some kind of clearance deal on high end, aperture grill, CRT new old stock, then I'd say go for it...

But if it's a current CRT model, I'd be very weary. They are lower end units. They just don't manufacture the better computer CRTs anymore...

As a web/graphics designer myself, there's just no way I'd consider being talked into anything but an IPS-based LCD. MVA and TN panels have flaws that are just too severe for any serious color work. Unfortunately, there's no way you're going to get (outside of special deals such as the Dell noted above, and even that's a definite panel gamble) a 20" IPS LCD at your pricepoint.

You have to realize that requiring the ability to do serious Photoshop work limits you strictly to the higher-end screens, and there are few to choose from. Take a look at this list, do some research, and decide what you'd like to do next. Good luck; I hope you find the perfect screen for you. Most of us are still looking. :(

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

As a web/graphics designer myself, there's just no way I'd consider being talked into anything but an IPS-based LCD. MVA and TN panels have flaws that are just too severe for any serious color work. Unfortunately, there's no way you're going to get (outside of special deals such as the Dell noted above, and even that's a definite panel gamble) a 20" IPS LCD at your pricepoint.

You have to realize that requiring the ability to do serious Photoshop work limits you strictly to the higher-end screens, and there are few to choose from. Take a look at this list, do some research, and decide what you'd like to do next. Good luck; I hope you find the perfect screen for you. Most of us are still looking. :(

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

that is what I was afraid of, I'm thinking I might just hold off or get the crt now and upgrade later.
This is a tough decision.

I did some research and I couldnt find anything I was hoping someone knew of a solution I was overlooking.

The refurb dell looks tempting but 90 days is a short warranty and the panel lottery thing.

Aperture Grill CRT?

If it's some kind of clearance deal on high end, aperture grill, CRT new old stock, then I'd say go for it...

But if it's a current CRT model, I'd be very weary. They are lower end units. They just don't manufacture the better computer CRTs anymore...

Its not a trinitron its a shadow mask.
I have used the exact monitor and while it might be a very slight step down from the best trinitrons it will work for what I need.
I have both a sony 17" trinitron and a komodo 19" shadow mask. Properly set up they both work well or used too.
The brightness level on the komodo has been dropping lately and its getting marginal even at 100% which is why I need a new monitor.
The 17" is too cramped for large photos.

I have tried some TN lcds and I cant stand them from a color stand point.

This is the monitor:
http://www.buy.com/prod/nec-accusync-120-bk-crt-monitor-533-4mm-black/q/loc/101/10321061.html

What about that $200 NEC from Directron... Refurb S-IPS with 1yr warranty... 20" widescreen?

Sounds like a decent alternative :p

Unless you have a good calibrator, the 20WMGX2 is not a good choice, go with the CRT.

On that budget the Dell 2007wfp 20.1" with an S-IPS panel would be a good choice. Dell uses both S-PVA and S-IPS panels in the 2007wfp though so you may have to take a chance at getting an S-IPS model unless you buy one that's used and confirmed to be S-IPS. I have a 2007wfp with an S-IPS panel that I will probably be parting with shortly if I can find a deal on a 24" NEC that I want.

Cause their priority is Clarity.

Function over Form --- CRT's over LCD's

Cause their priority is Clarity.

Function over Form --- CRT's over LCD's

Except where function is form. You can't easily have 2-3 CRTs in many situations that we use our LCDs in, as well as the overwhelming lack of inputs.

I am back on a 22" CRT after having to return a faulty LCD but I have to say it was awesome in comparison.
Previously I had a 37" 5mS S-IPS panel and it was amazing for everything.
178 degree view angle, fantastic colours, very fast for gaming, the holy grail.

I have a 42" 42FPL5603D on order now with the same specs S-IPS panel :)
see post #34 for more info
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1295742&page=2
It should be here in 5 days :)
Only £750 !!

Except where function is form. You can't easily have 2-3 CRTs in many situations that we use our LCDs in, as well as the overwhelming lack of inputs.

Yea, thats true I guess. It just depends where you sit on the LCD/CRT Scale. I for one am running 245BW, but then again, it works fine for my applications.

Get an FW900 off ebay? I personally wouldn't go with an LCD if you are going to be doing a lot of work in photoshop and have a $300 budget.

Thanks everyone!
I think im going to wait and either raise more money or if it comes down too it just get the crt in about a month.

Back