Tank-o-Matic Flow Restriction

willie92

Limp Gawd
I'm upgrading my WC setup because I've finally got another video card to run SLI.

I was just running a PolarFlo block on my CPU, but am going to add two NV-68's to cool the vid cards. I'm also going from a double 80mm rad to a double 120mm rad to help with the cooling. Because of the change in my configuration I have to move my res. I've got a hold of a Tank-o-matic and was going to hang that off the back of my case as the res. The question is:

Since I'm running 1/2" (soon to be 7/16") tubing will the flow restriction from the Tank-o-matic (since they're only 1/4" BSPT--essentially half the flow of a 1/2" tube) be a big deal?

I know I'm probably introducing some flow restriction with the NV-68's all ready, so is adding a Tank-o-matic going to affect it that much more? Or are restrctions cumulative?

I've got an Eheim 1250 to pump everthing...

Should I stick with the Tank-o or go with a different res (I was also thinking of using Swiftech's Micro-res)...

1/4" on most pipe threads is a measure of the radius, not the diameter. A 1/4" BSP fitting has a 1/2" diameter - you should be fine.

Tank will be fine, just make sure you buy the right fittings, and use an anti-corrosive.

The fitting thread size is irrelevant. On the Tank-O-Matic, yes the fittings go in on 1/4" BSP, however, then they turn thru 90 degrees up thru drilled holes in the base which are much much smaller (8mm OD to be precise) thus restricting your 1/2" / 7/16" flow down to that of 8mm tubing. Also factor in the differing speeds of expansion and contraction between ali and perspex, and the fact that a mechanical thread is used to join the two parts - I don't know anyone with a Tank-O-Matic where it has lasted any more than 18 months before all the acrylic starts to split around the threads due to ali expanding quicker than the acrylic.

With combination of PolarFlo, NV68 and Tank-O-Matic, ensure you're running a decent corrosion inhibitor... recipe for disaster there otherwise... polarflo TTT = ali top on copper base, NV68 = all copper, TankO = ali end caps on acrylic tube...

Marci said:
The fitting thread size is irrelevant. On the Tank-O-Matic, yes the fittings go in on 1/4" BSP, however, then they turn thru 90 degrees up thru drilled holes in the base which are much much smaller (8mm OD to be precise) thus restricting your 1/2" / 7/16" flow down to that of 8mm tubing. Also factor in the differing speeds of expansion and contraction between ali and perspex, and the fact that a mechanical thread is used to join the two parts - I don't know anyone with a Tank-O-Matic where it has lasted any more than 18 months before all the acrylic starts to split around the threads due to ali expanding quicker than the acrylic.

With combination of PolarFlo, NV68 and Tank-O-Matic, ensure you're running a decent corrosion inhibitor... recipe for disaster there otherwise... polarflo TTT = ali top on copper base, NV68 = all copper, TankO = ali end caps on acrylic tube...

So you're saying I'd be better off with the Micro-res...

I'm running Koolance liquid in my system, I thought that was supposed to have a little bit of everything in it. Think I need more corrosion inhibitor?

The Koolance stuff should be fine, after all, it is marketed to do exactly what you are trying to do.
The Micro-res may be a better choice, plus it takes up less space, so you can hide it, or make a window for it.

Yay Limp Gawd!

I'd trust the microres with it's acrylic > acrylic bonds more than the Tank-O with ali > acrylic thread, put it that way...

Back