Teachs me a lesson to buy cheap...

Kanaric

Limp Gawd
I bought a Forsa 7900GT since it was on a site for only $150 so I thought it sounded like a good deal even though i've never heard of that company before. So I got this card in the mail opened it up and as soon as I took it out of the package a capacitor also falls out of the bag. The company I bought it from has not responded and Forsa's RMA email address returns a error saying that this email doesn't exist.....

What should I do? I went to a local TV repair shop asking if they could resolder it on or something like that and they said they dont do that kind of thing. Should I make an attempt at it even though i've never soldered in my life?

if you have the confidence to do it yourself then pick up a kit and practice on some old electronics untill you are skilled enough to try and re-solder the capacitor.

P.S. also you might want to pick up a desoldering pump, or some desoldering wick

It's worth a try if nothing else. As was mentioned grab a soldering kit and practice on old junk stuff by desoldering and the resoldering, etc.

One quick tip: if your hands shake a little, to the point that it would be difficult to hold the solder and/or iron straight, clap both hands together, once, real hard. I've never had the need to do it, but I've been told it helps in steadying your hands when you need them to stay still.

Before you buy anything online make sure the retailer is not shady. Most retailers would accept returns within a week, month etc for exchanges. Check with them before you start soldering things.

you should call the company where you got it from... You shouldn't try to fix it yourself.

I solder stuff all day long man. I'd offer to do it for you. You wanna post up some pictures or somthing?

Back