Votes: 116 84.7%
  • No!!

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 16 11.7%

• Total voters

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I'm on the bubble about buying TF2. I'm either getting the Orange Box or buying all the BF2 Expansions. (Special Forces and the boosters)

For those that are playing TF2, is the game worth it?

Also note that I already have the "Silver" package of old which has HL2, CS:Source, etc.. So the only thing I would gain from the 'Orange Box" is TF2 and Portal.

Also note that I already have the "Silver" package of old which has HL2, CS:Source, etc.. So the only thing I would gain from the 'Orange Box" is TF2 and Portal.

If you only have the Silver Package then you'd also be getting a copy of Episode 1 and Episode 2, and a new HL2 key that you can sell to a friend or something. I'd get the Orange Box, TF2 is addicting.

I've been reading user reviews, watching gameplay trailers, and of course watching this thread for your opinions. Needless to say I just purchased the Orange Box and and downloading now.

So, where's the [H] TF2 clan?

ya definitely worth it. why would you buy the bf2 expansions, PoE2 mod is better than any of the boosters and its free.

TF2 is the most fun I've ever had playing an online multiplayer game EVER. You made a good choice. :D

I'm on the bubble about buying TF2. I'm either getting the Orange Box or buying all the BF2 Expansions. (Special Forces and the boosters)

For those that are playing TF2, is the game worth it?

And 2 gifts - one for HL2 and one for Ep1 that you can give to any of your friends.

BTw, who voted "no?" - lol

TF2 is COMPLETELY worth it, plus you get Portal and HL2: Ep2. If you have the same package I did (HL2/CS:S) you also get HL2:Ep1, and a copy of HL2 you can gift or sell off to someone.

I'm going to have to disagree.

It is not worth it.

Sure, its fun for about a week, then it starts to become boring. There are too few maps, and the ones that are there feel claustrophobic, especially 2fort. Abandoning the CTF type of play in favor of the capture model that most maps use was a mistake. Class balance is okay, and most of the classes are kind of unique, for better or worse, although the sniper feels "wrong" somehow, which is too bad since sniper is usually my preferred class.

It does have lovely art direction though, but that is not enough to not make me attempt to cancel my pre-order.

*puts on the asbestos suit*

Another +1 for TF2, it's a fantastic game but it's not without faults...

Sure, its fun for about a week, then it starts to become boring. There are too few maps, and the ones that are there feel claustrophobic, especially 2fort.

Try increasing your field of view from 75 deg to 90 degrees. It definitely helps with the claustrophobic feel!

Try increasing your field of view from 75 deg to 90 degrees. It definitely helps with the claustrophobic feel!

Yeah, I've done that. Still think the maps are cluttered and claustrophobic though. And 90 FOV on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 is :(:(:(... 75 was horrid though, what were they thinking?

Yeah, I've done that. Still think the maps are cluttered and claustrophobic though. And 90 FOV on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 is :(:(:(... 75 was horrid though, what were they thinking?

Consoles...they infect everything with their stench.

Typically console FPS games have insanely low FOV's probably to help with frame rate or some such. 90 degree's is pretty standard for 4:3 monitors, I'm not sure if the FOV is actually increased for widescreen users which is typical with valve games once you change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:10

75 was way too low, 90 seems ok on my 1680x1050 monitor.

I'm going to have to disagree.

It is not worth it.

Sure, its fun for about a week, then it starts to become boring. There are too few maps, and the ones that are there feel claustrophobic, especially 2fort. Abandoning the CTF type of play in favor of the capture model that most maps use was a mistake. Class balance is okay, and most of the classes are kind of unique, for better or worse, although the sniper feels "wrong" somehow, which is too bad since sniper is usually my preferred class.

It does have lovely art direction though, but that is not enough to not make me attempt to cancel my pre-order.

*puts on the asbestos suit*

it is in BETA, consider yourself lucky to have PLAYED the game before its official RELEASE, they have been putting updates out daily for it, just wait before it is out before you judge maps, they just added in a couple for us to get up and running.

Agreed. You have to remember this is a beta test or demo or whatever you want to call it.

Goodness knows there will be a buttload of stuff when the orange box is released next week.

The game looks good, runs slick, and is a bunch of fun.

Great package for 40 bucks.

Yes, it is beta... But it is at its final stage of beta. Experience from other games tells me that nothing will be changed, except for minor cosmetic surgery and maybe some slight balance changes.

As for getting access to it early, it was a promotional offer from Valve attempting to squeeze more money out of people that already bought HL2 (they did cancel the black box, remember?), but then... I wouldn't have cared if I liked it.

I seriously doubt there will be a "buttload of stuff" at the release of TF2 that we haven't seen already. As far as I know, the TF2 version I have preloaded is the full version minus minor changes that will be pushed out when it goes retail.

These are just my opinions. I wouldn't have voiced them if it wasn't for the poll in this thread, and I didn't voice them in the "official TF2 thread".

It needs more maps but is pretty fun. Merely a sometime game for me though. Too small for a BF2 player lol. The Orange box is a great deal though. One of the best I have ever seen really.

It needs more maps but is pretty fun. Merely a sometime game for me though. Too small for a BF2 player lol.

Yeah, that may be my issue too... too damn small! I'd like a map with as much open space as rock2 or well from TFC, not some cramped mutilated version of 2fort with a roof on the bridge!

And the lack of conc grenades (don't care for the explosive ones) makes me sad :(

I don't care what you get - but do not buy into BF2 and the booster packs. Special Forces was an awesome expansion back in the day. Much better than vanilla in my opinion - with emphasis on infantry combat. But even many months ago it was impossible to find a good server running it. I can only assume that the situation is even worse these days.

If you're looking for a good online shooter to get into, buy into either TF2 or Quake Wars.

YES

I can't recommend the game enough. I have not started playing Halo 3 yet because I am having
so much fun playing TF2. I have also not played the Jericho demo I downloaded and installed
on my PC.

I don't care what you get - but do not buy into BF2 and the booster packs. Special Forces was an awesome expansion back in the day. Much better than vanilla in my opinion - with emphasis on infantry combat. But even many months ago it was impossible to find a good server running it. I can only assume that the situation is even worse these days.

If you're looking for a good online shooter to get into, buy into either TF2 or Quake Wars.

Not to derail the thread, but yeah... get Quake Wars - its a lot more fun than TF2 when you have a semi-intelligent team.

If the choice is between TF2 and BF2, then I'd have to say TF2 by a mile.

Really though, if the choice was between TF2 and pretty much any other game, I'd still tell you to get TF2.

And the poll results really drive that point home.

Not to derail the thread, but yeah... get Quake Wars - its a lot more fun than TF2 when you have a semi-intelligent team.

Yeah, I brought Quake Wars up because if he's looking for a "BF2-type" game, then he'd be much better off with QW.

TF2 and Quake Wars are very different kinds of games though. So he'll have to decide from there which one he wants.

As long as he doesn't buy BF2 though, I feel my job is done. ;)

What's really funny is I was extremely hyped for Quake Wars, and moderately excited about Team Fortress 2. Then I played the beta for ETQW, and while I felt it was a good game, it didn't blow me away like I thought it would. I went through both betas, and the demo, and still it was just good, not near as great as I thought it would be.

Then I preordered the Orange Box to play the TF2 beta and it absolutely blew me away. I can't get enough of it, I play every spare moment I have. Everything about the game is top notch, I can't recommend it enough.

It really sucks to have a game you were psyched for not live up to your expectations, but on the other end of the spectrum it's really quite awesome to have a game come out of left field and blow you away.

It's too bad ETQW was delayed so much, because it really is a good game. If it had come out fall of last year like it was supposed to, I would have been all over it. Now that it's going up against Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tourmament 3, I doubt I'll even purchase it. I just don't have enough time to dedicate to 3 online games on top of what I already play.

It's too bad ETQW was delayed so much, because it really is a good game. If it had come out fall of last year like it was supposed to, I would have been all over it. Now that it's going up against Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tourmament 3, I doubt I'll even purchase it. I just don't have enough time to dedicate to 3 online games on top of what I already play.

Totally in the same boat. Even though I wasn't that impressed with the beta/demo, I still probably would have picked it up if it weren't released the same time as TF2.

I've had enough artillery and vehicle spam from Battlefield to last me a lifetime, and I felt Quake Wars was far too similar. It's a good game though, and I hope people play it and it does well. But personally, I'm looking for a more streamlined, simple game like TF2.

Yeah, this game is obviously a resounding success.

I doubt any other game on the planet could pull of those kind of percentages.

TF2 alone is worth the $45 I paid. And once it is officially released, things will only get better.

Back