Team Leader Nominations - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
My first approach to nominations on this is not going to work given the issues that some have with the democratic changes here. So let's do this a bit different.

TELL THE [H]ORDE WHY YOU WANT TO BE A TEAM LEADER AND WHY YOU CAN DO THE JOB!

Hopefully we will have some folks step up that want to lead the [H]orde. Please feel free to question the folks that step up in this thread.

It seems the boat has really been rocked these past few days kyle, not to mention tossing a few people off board as it would see. I want to say as of right now, we as a team might need to take some time and let the waves settle before a leader is chosen. Picking a leader is no easy task and it seems that peoples loyalties lie with those members no longer with us rather then with the cure, and some of us have forgotten why we are here.Now more then ever do we need some form of leadership but at this time no one person stands out in my mind capable to fill the shoes.

I can organize individuals who want to help to accomplish tasks. I'm not sure what everyone is good at, or who has the time, but we can find out with a thread. We haven't had any new wallpaper in awhile, or updated guides,faq, or recruiting posters.

I think in the end everyone will need to chip in. People are good at certain things. They contribute in their own way. Some people are good at just lurking and folding quietly, others are good subtly spreading the word in other subforums, some are good at writing up installation guides, custom linux OSs, helping noobies, the list goes on and on.

I think that a leader that is good at delegating responsibilities while being a driving motivational force is what is most needed for the [H]orde.

Well, I'll step up and offer my services as a 2nd or 3rd in command. Being a single dad, I don't have quite enough time to run the show. But the kids will be spending the summer with their mother so 3 months of balls out work should get things in line pretty well.

About 1 1/2 years ago I started working on a F@H flash movie for the [H]orde. Never been a better time than the present to get that project completed.

I also have my own little website dedicated to r/c airplanes and hacking the Razr. Since I'm the boss, seems like I'll do a little pimping for the [H]orde over there as well.

Edit:Btw for those who don't know me that well, I've been around these forums for ~8 yrs now and have been a dedicated folder for the team for over 4 yrs now. I'm not a folding expert but I do know my way around the console, the graphical client sucks, and Marty is a turd :p

Sounds like a winner SM! We need some positive motivation for sure.

I think Team Leader roles should be short intervals to start with....say 3 or 4 months so that might be right up your ally. Get your poster board out and prepare to tape up your signs in the hall way on the way to lunch period. ;)

After some thinking, I will propose myself as a 2nd or 3rd Leader as well. While I rarely post during evenings and weekends due to family, I will have the bunch of my free time during work hours as I'm working on a project which let me have many many occasions to participate in the [H]orde activities till september at least. Anyway, with a few leaders, It's not required to have everyone be available 24/7 ;)

My own speciality, as few ppl noticed recently, is writing guides and FAQs. I'm also a good candidate to welcome newcomers and teach them how to configure a new folding machine, with most clients. Personnally, I don't believe in loyalty to a certain people but I do firmly believe in team loyalty so it's time to bring in new blood. with SM, it's a good start. I hope that with a good group of 2nd or 3rd level leaders, someone will propose as team leader ;)

Finally, what we need to see with the leaders is levelheaded people, who doesn't care about their own ego and care about driving the team toward a common goal, which is to find a cure. This is especially true after seeing a few threads about those who died during the last week.

Fold for the [H]orde :D

I would like to throw my hat into the ring for Team Leader.

Reason: [H]ard|OCP

More over so, I have come to learn that the sheer recruiting power of the front page of [H]ard|OCP is second to none. If you want to make a difference for the cause, the busiest DC forum by a long shot ([H]ard|Forum) is where you do it with the most powerful recruiting tool I know of, [H]ard|OCP front page.

Qualifications:

• Established relationships with users new and old alike.
  • Previous "management" if you will (more like an idea and sticking with it until things were finished) of past FAH projects.
  • Still a "go to" guy for unresolved issues in the main DC forum. Something doesn't get resolved int he forums users still PM me to get the ball rolling until the issue is resolved.
  • Extensive knowledge of all thing FAH related. Uni/SMP/GPU clients a rock solid knowledge level with. Enough ability with nix to get things folding. Zero with the Mac client but hey...who is using them anyways.
  • I'm dang funny!

i think we need some more clarifaction on what the team leaders functions will be. What exactly will they be doing? How long can expect to have a leader to be "in power" so to say? Do we have a vice team leader in case something would happen to said leader? What if the leader we pick turns out to have a personnel agenda and is not looking out for the best entrust in the team, is there a process of having him removed impeached? If so what is the process of going about this who should we contact? If the team leader position is some term passed thing be it three months/years whatever how many times can someone be team leader in a row? Does the team leader have any abilities in the forum like a mod has..IE sticking post and locking/unlock editing certain post (IE FAQ)

I see the team leader no so much as choosing what/how the team works but more of a head position. Someone that organizes everyone and makes sure we are all on the same page. Like being in charge of DC'er of the month, answering questions, organizing events such as the [H]orde Bowl, updating the FAQ.

I think these things really need to be hashed out and figured out before we can make an informed decision. We need some kind of declaration (like a D of DC declaration of direct computing) or sorts so that we are all on the same page and have written plans of action on how things are suppose to work. I do not think picking a team leader is an easy task at all.

i think we need some more clarifaction on what the team leaders functions will be. What exactly will they be doing? How long can expect to have a leader to be "in power" so to say? Do we have a vice team leader in case something would happen to said leader? What if the leader we pick turns out to have a personnel agenda and is not looking out for the best entrust in the team, is there a process of having him removed impeached? If so what is the process of going about this who should we contact? If the team leader position is some term passed thing be it three months/years whatever how many times can someone be team leader in a row? Does the team leader have any abilities in the forum like a mod has..IE sticking post and locking/unlock editing certain post (IE FAQ)

I see the team leader no so much as choosing what/how the team works but more of a head position. Someone that organizes everyone and makes sure we are all on the same page. Like being in charge of DC'er of the month, answering questions, organizing events such as the [H]orde Bowl, updating the FAQ.

I think these things really need to be hashed out and figured out before we can make an informed decision. We need some kind of declaration (like a D of DC declaration of direct computing) or sorts so that we are all on the same page and have written plans of action on how things are suppose to work. I do not think picking a team leader is an easy task at all.

I agree with this fully... We need to create some sort of charter and regulations to help make the team management easier and to help us move forward. However, to do this, we need a few leaders elected first to act as a transitionnal group with democracy processes to support the new decisions. Having just 1 leader will have a risk of seeing the charter written to the advantage of the current leader.

I'm honestly surprised to see a big team like us not having any form of charter... Each time we make a team, we need to write the charter to outline how things work.

I agree with this fully... We need to create some sort of charter and regulations to help make the team management easier and to help us move forward. However, to do this, we need a few leaders elected first to act as a transitionnal group with democracy processes to support the new decisions. Having just 1 leader will have a risk of seeing the charter written to the advantage of the current leader.

I'm honestly surprised to see a big team like us not having any form of charter... Each time we make a team, we need to write the charter to outline how things work.

Now we are talking! I am glad to see these ideas coming from within the team. :D

Folding @ Home started here at the [H] with no charter, no government and certainly no formal leader.

On several occasions a small faction of members have tried to take over and do things their way, each attempt failed primarily do to lack of support from the team. This current situation we now face was brought about by some who sort of took charge and aside from a dozen or so followers the rest of the team pretty much went on as normal.

The key word here is TEAM. This team was born out of enthusiasm and commitment to both the cause and the competition and loyalty to the [H]. In spite of the past weeks events I don’t see the team as a whole falling apart, we still continue to grow, new people are properly greeted, and when help is needed it is all but instantly supplied. Nobody ever gets left out and all this happens because the team as a whole cares and continues to care.

My belief is that a team made of up this many independent spirits would in no way benefit from any more leadership then having a good mod or two in place.

The idea of a temporary leader followed by another and another will only bring about multiple sets of ideas that may not all be in line with each other and as such may just have the very opposite of a positive effect.

Each of us works the DC projects for our own reasons and based on that and all of the above we have risen to the biggest independent team ever. All this was done again, with no Charter, no set rules (aside from the obvious forum rules) and an occasional heated discussion that invariably goes away and allows those with steam to blow off blow it off.

Clearly everything that needs to be done was and has been being done with two possible exceptions. One is, if we are going to pretend we maintain a news site on Hardfolding.com then we need and have always needed a person or persons to report news. If we can’t find someone the let’s just clean that part out of the website. Last but not least we need to choose a second project.

Thanks for listening.

I am going to second the nomination for Marty. All except the funny part :) Through all his bullshit he is always there to help someone out, seems to have nothing else to do besides read all things folding and he pisses off 7im.

For myself I am willing to step up to the plate and help out in any capacity the [H]orde needs me for. I have an extensive background (20+ years) in Networking, Hardware, PCs, OSes and currently am part of the IT team for a major Healthcare provider. And I run the MacOS client too!. Most of the time I browse the forums pretty much every day unless I am on the road (we cover 5 states) and then I try to get here from whatever hotel I am staying in this week.

I am married with 2 wonderful little girls (3.5 and 1.5 and no Marty I am not providing pics :) ...but if you look hard enough on here you can probably find a pic of me my wife and the first one) and besides the above 3 things in my life my only loves are Computers and Home Theatre (both of which I spend too much money on)

I tend to like to help out anyone I can anytime I can so I think I can be of assistance to the leadership even if not part of the leadership. If I am needed in any capacity I will be happy to step up and help us continue on the raod to the cure.

Tormond is a hell of guy, I have known him since 73' and I don't think I could have said it any better. (even though I still have 0 pm's from you)
Marty is crazy sometimes, I doubted him really wanting to be serious for a split second but I feel back in love with him after his last post :p I can't think of a time he wasn't helpful to someone. He feels strong on things sometimes, but I think if put in charge he can do the job. Marty has been around since I can remember wayyyyy before me. It's like when marty talks everyone seems to listen which is what we need right now, a leader who people respect and listen to. My vote goes to marty as well, he will make us proud.

Cliffs:
When Marty talks we listen
Marty has been around along time.
Marty likes to help others.
Marty has a heart bigger than a pot of gold.

I am going to second the nomination for Marty. All except the funny part :) Through all his bullshit he is always there to help someone out, seems to have nothing else to do besides read all things folding and he pisses off 7im.

For myself I am willing to step up to the plate and help out in any capacity the [H]orde needs me for. I have an extensive background (20+ years) in Networking, Hardware, PCs, OSes and currently am part of the IT team for a major Healthcare provider. And I run the MacOS client too!. Most of the time I browse the forums pretty much every day unless I am on the road (we cover 5 states) and then I try to get here from whatever hotel I am staying in this week.

I am married with 2 wonderful little girls (3.5 and 1.5 and no Marty I am not providing pics :) ...but if you look hard enough on here you can probably find a pic of me my wife and the first one) and besides the above 3 things in my life my only loves are Computers and Home Theatre (both of which I spend too much money on)

I tend to like to help out anyone I can anytime I can so I think I can be of assistance to the leadership even if not part of the leadership. If I am needed in any capacity I will be happy to step up and help us continue on the raod to the cure.

Tormond is a hell of guy, I have known him since 73' and I don't think I could have said it any better. (even though I still have 0 pm's from you)
Marty is crazy sometimes, I doubted him really wanting to be serious for a split second but I feel back in love with him after his last post :p I can't think of a time he wasn't helpful to someone. He feels strong on things sometimes, but I think if put in charge he can do the job. Marty has been around since I can remember wayyyyy before me. It's like when marty talks everyone seems to listen which is what we need right now, a leader who people respect and listen to. My vote goes to marty as well, he will make us proud.

Cliffs:
When Marty talks we listen
Marty has been around along time.
Marty likes to help others.
Marty has a heart bigger than a pot of gold.

While I would never dream of questioning either of you judgment wise, I think you should look here before making what you think any more public.

http://66.93.18.36/forum/index.php

Thank you Bill for bringing that to my attention. I am going to look into this further and most likely be removing my vote for marty. It seems like a mock of [h]ard folding...

While I would never dream of questioning either of you judgment wise, I think you should look here before making what you think any more public.

http://66.93.18.36/forum/index.php

Me said:
you of all people here should just do what ever you want. I'm not going to pressue you or anyone else to switch/recruit and all that. The guys wanted a place to BS, start a new team etc. and that's what a few of us are tryign to give them.

It's at simple as that Bill, nothing sneaky here as I don't have the heart for it.

More over so- No one stepped up and said anything in this thread that I saw with a "do this" attitude so I did.

-Close the poll, stick with one project for 3 months.

-Bring in a mod.

-Set a goal, 900k PPD in 3 months.

-From a contest.

-Use hf.com to it's fullest extend for once in my opinion.

Things of that nature. Enough talk, just do. IMO.

Not trying to be obtuse here, but how can you volunteer to lead team 33 when you are providing a forum to support a new team ?

Not trying to be obtuse here, but how can you volunteer to lead team 33 when you are providing a forum to support a new team ?

Find a team's forum in the top 10 I haven't tried to help someone in their forum.

Make this simple, please retract me from any "Team Leader" position.

Folding @ Home started here at the [H] with no charter, no government and certainly no formal leader.

On several occasions a small faction of members have tried to take over and do things their way, each attempt failed primarily do to lack of support from the team. This current situation we now face was brought about by some who sort of took charge and aside from a dozen or so followers the rest of the team pretty much went on as normal.

The key word here is TEAM. This team was born out of enthusiasm and commitment to both the cause and the competition and loyalty to the [H]. In spite of the past weeks events I don’t see the team as a whole falling apart, we still continue to grow, new people are properly greeted, and when help is needed it is all but instantly supplied. Nobody ever gets left out and all this happens because the team as a whole cares and continues to care.

My belief is that a team made of up this many independent spirits would in no way benefit from any more leadership then having a good mod or two in place.

The idea of a temporary leader followed by another and another will only bring about multiple sets of ideas that may not all be in line with each other and as such may just have the very opposite of a positive effect.

Each of us works the DC projects for our own reasons and based on that and all of the above we have risen to the biggest independent team ever. All this was done again, with no Charter, no set rules (aside from the obvious forum rules) and an occasional heated discussion that invariably goes away and allows those with steam to blow off blow it off.

Clearly everything that needs to be done was and has been being done with two possible exceptions. One is, if we are going to pretend we maintain a news site on Hardfolding.com then we need and have always needed a person or persons to report news. If we can’t find someone the let’s just clean that part out of the website. Last but not least we need to choose a second project.

Thanks for listening.

BillR, you brought a very good point about the team behaving well together without any form of regulation. Since I'm younger than you here, I will believe you. I agree we don't need any form of heavy regulations or charter but I do believe we still need a leader, more for pepping the teammates, watch the contests to make sure all run well and act as a sort of middle-man between the team and Kyle for anything we need.

For hardfolding.com, I fully agree we need to rethink how this site works since currently, some parts is unused and useless and the rest is not very easy to navigate. However, this is up to the hf.com council.

After BillR brought that link to my attention, I must say I am disappointed with what I read. You guys might think your making fun and insulting Kyle, but you are also insulting team #33 which is where you used to call home. The rest of us are still here and as far as I know, have not done a single thing to not promote you going out on your own.

The anwser to me is BillR. He helps King with the website so he is always being active within Folding. He has been around along time, and seems to me he really can be trusted.
I vote BillR to lead us.

You guys might think your making fun and insulting Kyle, but you are also insulting team #33 which is where you used to call home.
That's not the idea at all. We're neither making fun of Kyle nor insulting team #33 - indeed, [H]ardForums is still an important place to me. But the unending drama in the DC forum here is a big turnoff, and I'm tired of it. I don't think I'm insulting the team by saying this; it's evident by the number of posts in the forums every time something changes (and some times when nothing changes!) that there's something wrong with the direction the team is going in. There are factions within the team that fight each other, and I don't need that. The team spirit is great when we all agree, but there needs to be a decision resolution process. There's never been one (as far as I know), but that's what is most needed.

This doesn't mean I'm done with team 33, or leaving [H] (intentionally, anyways). I don't see Marty's forum as competition for [H]; hell, there's no indication that it'll last more than a few more days. But last I checked it wasn't a bannable offense to belong to other forums or other teams, and I hope it'll stay that way. I intend to stick around [H] for quite a while. The technical enthusiasts we have around here are unmatched in my experience with other forums. The staff and mods are good at keeping the idiots under control. But the DC team keeps trying to sabotage itself every time there's a decision to be made. I've been a part of it in the past, tried to make decisions as a part of the group, and seen much running in place go on.
seems to me he really can be trusted.
Are you trying to be insulting? Really, this isn't mutiny from the [H]. The new forums (as I see them) are an attempt to establish a team with real leadership. There are more than five people on that forum (when it's up) - to my mind that constitutes a plurality of the team that are interested in change in the way things work. Ignoring the concerns raised by those people is counter-productive - it leads to more fighting six months down the road.

That's not the idea at all. We're neither making fun of Kyle nor insulting team #33 - indeed, [H]ardForums is still an important place to me. But the unending drama in the DC forum here is a big turnoff, and I'm tired of it. I don't think I'm insulting the team by saying this; it's evident by the number of posts in the forums every time something changes (and some times when nothing changes!) that there's something wrong with the direction the team is going in. There are factions within the team that fight each other, and I don't need that. The team spirit is great when we all agree, but there needs to be a decision resolution process. There's never been one (as far as I know), but that's what is most needed.

This doesn't mean I'm done with team 33, or leaving [H] (intentionally, anyways). I don't see Marty's forum as competition for [H]; hell, there's no indication that it'll last more than a few more days. But last I checked it wasn't a bannable offense to belong to other forums or other teams, and I hope it'll stay that way. I intend to stick around [H] for quite a while. The technical enthusiasts we have around here are unmatched in my experience with other forums. The staff and mods are good at keeping the idiots under control. But the DC team keeps trying to sabotage itself every time there's a decision to be made. I've been a part of it in the past, tried to make decisions as a part of the group, and seen much running in place go on.

Are you trying to be insulting? Really, this isn't mutiny from the [H]. The new forums (as I see them) are an attempt to establish a team with real leadership. There are more than five people on that forum (when it's up) - to my mind that constitutes a plurality of the team that are interested in change in the way things work. Ignoring the concerns raised by those people is counter-productive - it leads to more fighting six months down the road.

Trusted, that insults you? I am sorry if it did, but why on earth marty would even try to be a leader here if he wasn't going to stay. Be part of whatever forums you wish, I don't see Kyle banning someone for this. I too am tired of the drama and last few weeks are enough for me. The one's who keep making everything a big production should just move on for good instead of playing both sides of the field.
Maybe with the lose ends and kinks away from team#33, the team might get back on track.

Sorry if I offened or insulted you mage in anyway. I guess with all the things going on around here I am just a little up tight.

I too am tired of the drama and last few weeks are enough for me.

I think that is everyones big problem around here. I woudl say that is why 90% of our team is lurker only b/c we can't stop the bickering around here in these parts. I don't think this will ever truly go away due to the nature of the beast. Most of us here are very headstrong, stubborn and smart. Most know more then the average person it would seem so we butt heads. Maybe a leader would calm this maybe it wouldn't. But one thing is for sure it is what Kyle wants so it is what we will have. Now if only would could find someone dumb enough to lead this group of misfits so we can get on with the b0rging

Trusted, that insults you? I am sorry if it did, but why on earth marty would even try to be a leader here if he wasn't going to stay.
I don't want to speak for him, but I didn't get the impression Marty was leaving. As he mentioned, he's been answering questions on all of the top 10 forums. I don't imagine he'll make that "the top 10 except the top 1" ;)
Be part of whatever forums you wish, I don't see Kyle banning someone for this.
Yes, but I see some people asking to be banned and I don't want that. That's all I was saying.
Maybe with the lose ends and kinks away from team#33, the team might get back on track.
I certainly hope so. I've been around this team for long enough that I hope it continues to succeed.
Sorry if I offened or insulted you mage in anyway. I guess with all the things going on around here I am just a little up tight.
I know what you mean ;) I've gotten on with you well in the past, it's just the anxiety over the future of the team that's making me irritable.

Let's all worry about what Team 33 and is doing and let the others go about their new team peacefully. We don't really need to concern ourselves with anything they say. I am sad the link got posted here. Let's focus people....on the [H]orde.

Maybe instead of having team "leaders", we should refer to them as the "Team MWR Comittee." For those of you that have never been in the military, MWR is the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation department found in all branches of the military. They provide us with the recreation center, gyms, bowling alleys, movie theaters, cheap tour tickets, etc.

The MWR will then be responsible for greeting new folks, setting up contests, morale boosters, promotion promoters?, and general [H]orde Rallying.

Does this sound better than delegating a few members with any implied power or authority?

Maybe instead of having team "leaders", we should refer to them as the "Team MWR Comittee." For those of you that have never been in the military, MWR is the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation department found in all branches of the military. They provide us with the recreation center, gyms, bowling alleys, movie theaters, cheap tour tickets, etc.

The MWR will then be responsible for greeting new folks, setting up contests, morale boosters, promotion promoters?, and general [H]orde Rallying.

Does this sound better than delegating a few members with any implied power or authority?

I like this idea... After BillR post and some talk later, it seems we are going in a very positive way with more casual talk and less e-drama. It's more easier to just appoint 4-5 as part of a commitee/council to discuss ideas/contests/guides. This way, nobody will be a leader but a equal member which in turn cause less frictions. We don't really need anyone to tell what to do but only to guide the team in the right direction.

A committee is a good thing, however we as team need to accept the decisions that are made by that committee on some issues. I know that in the past there has been an amazing amount of angst over some of the contests that individuals put a lot of time into planning and acquiring prizes for. As for the individuals that have stepped up so far, I would welcome any of them to part of that committee.

A committee is a good thing, however we as team need to accept the decisions that are made by that committee on some issues. I know that in the past there has been an amazing amount of angst over some of the contests that individuals put a lot of time into planning and acquiring prizes for. As for the individuals that have stepped up so far, I would welcome any of them to part of that committee.

Honestly, we started to get along together without any form of leadership or commit. I think that if we try to find a leader (or many) or form any commitee, there will always be some drama going. I believe it's better if we just act together folding, help each other and maybe volunteer to make any activities...

The only problematic thing would be contests. I think contests will help attract ppl to folding since it's a nice candy to start folding. To make nice contests, we need to offer some nice prizes and nobody around can afford to offer this.

Personnally, I would prefer to keep the current way as is and see later if we need adjustements. Asking and waiting for everyone to chime will just bring confusion since not everyone will agree. BillR hit in the nail when he said that we should get WCG going without waiting for the poll to finish since the participation to WCG is a better poll of interest.

Contests have always been fairly simple though. Someone has to be willing to do the work and Kyle has to approve it. I know that has been the way with my badge contest. I never got approval from anyone else.

Maybe other contests have been different, but I wouldn't know.

As far as another official support DC team, the main aspect to having official, is having it supported in sticky threads and hardfolding.com support. Otherwise, teams like WCG have been running for years without official support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back