Votes: 26 50.0%
  • HTPC/Boxee/GoogleTV/TiVo

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • GPS/TomTom/Garmin

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Game Console

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
If I had the money I would have a gaming PC (which I do have), my smartphone (also have) a home server, and a htpc. (want list)

Smart phone is essentially a laptop in my pocket and for other things I can just use my desktop.

No love for 15" laptops? Isn't that the most common size?

Currently use:
Smart phone
Netbook
Laptop 14in
Desktop

Will/would use:
Tablet
Home server
HTPC

So the absolutes for me are:

Smart Phone
Desktop
HTPC
HomeServer

The issue I have is balancing the tablet/ultra port/ laptop situation.

Right now i've a 15" work laptop and a tablet. The issue is whether or not to get an ultraportable laptop (for when i'm not working).

I'm confused. are you referring to computer technology or computer technicians?

At my work all I use is a desktop, thumb drive, reinstall cd's and replacement parts.

I'm confused. are you referring to computer technology or computer technicians?

At my work all I use is a desktop, thumb drive, reinstall cd's and replacement parts.

From the choices, I'm assuming he is referring to what tech (technology) everyone uses on a daily basis, not what IT professionals use.

Anyway, what I use on a daily basis (from the choices above) is: Smartphone, 12.1" Laptop (not netbook), Desktop, Server, Game Console. I also selected GPS, but the Smartphone takes care of that so it's not a dedicated unit... but that's just semantics. Tablet will probably be coming soon.

Right now I use the following pretty regularly:

Smartphone
iPad
eBook Reader
Desktop
Game Console
Home Server

Over the last 6 months or so, I've been on an overall trend towards consolidating to fewer gadgets. The iPad replaced my netbook and DSi for on the go web access and gaming. I'd like for it to replace my Kindle as well for reading. However, it's just too large/heavy, and the battery life is too short for me to ditch my Kindle just yet. I think a 7" tablet with one of those Qualcomm Mirasol displays would be perfect for my needs.

Would also like to replace my desktop with a 13"-15" notebook, but mobile GPU's just aren't powerful enough for my needs yet.

Yes, and <17" includes 15".

I don't have a smartphone and why do I need one?

No one NEEDS one. It's not water... but they can make things more convenient and entertaining. Basically they are an internet connected computer in your pocket that also makes phone calls. You get: Web Content, E-mail, GPS, Music, Videos, RSS Feeds, Games, Contacts, Organizers, and hosts of other applications... which is in addition to it's use as a mobile phone. They are a pretty handy tool for a lot of people, and in many cases can replace the need for a dedicated portable computer all together (as long as you don't need to type anything lengthy lol).

That said, I could easily live without one again (going back to a standard cell phone), but I would be sacrificing a fair amount of flexibility in doing so. It would probably be akin to going from having a standard cell phone back to having only a land line. You can live without it, but you have less freedom and things are less accessible when out of the house as a result.

Then again, some people could care less about the added benefits a Smart Phone offers, and wouldn't use them at all. You could easily fall into that category.

I think you all are crazy. The smartphone is the one thing I would say is 'essential'.

I hate to say it in front of the [H] crowd..but I think if I were forced to choose (thankfully i'm not) i'd pick laptop over desktop. The fact is that like many...I used to game a TON on my machines, but I do most of my gaming on consoles now like most lazy chumps who just want to put in a disc and play.

It was fun with my new beefy rig to fire up crysis with my 12gb of ram, ssd and 8 logical cores on my gtx470...then i realized the game was just not as fun as going back and playing MW2 again.

As anticipated, I didn't expect a lot of 'ebook' reader fans here and i'm fascinated with the distinction that tablets and ebooks are really 2 totally different classes of device. I read a book on my ipad, and while it was sufficient in bed on on the can, it's useless outside. That said...if i read more..i'd have to have a kindle as well.

For me I suppose it's far less about the devices themselves and more about access to my info and content regardless of the device. To that end, IMAP/active exchange accounts, facebook for contacts, zune for music and so forth have been godsends. For times when I need to get to a file speciically, WHS is the best thing ever.

Then again, some people could care less about the added benefits a Smart Phone offers, and wouldn't use them at all. You could easily fall into that category.

I do, I don't even own a cell phone. :)

But that is only because I refuse to pay more for a cell phone than a land line. I wouldn't mind owning something like the iPad if it had a cell phone in it too but the screen and keypads on smartphones are just too small for me to wan to use for videos etc.

Back