Tech tour bundle prices announced, read here!

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Server bundle:
AMD Opteron Dual-Core Processor, Model 165
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
TYAN Motherboard S2865G2NR
$650

Desktop bundle:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor
Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS
MSI Motherboard K8NGM2-NBP NVidia C51 NBP chipset
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound card - SB 0460
$410

Discuss!

Eh. I was hoping for a dual cpu deal this year to pick up for our linux user group, but alas, nothing came. The desktop deal is pretty pricey too. Last year they had it for what, $250?

Robstar said:
Server bundle:
AMD Opteron Dual-Core Processor, Model 165
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
TYAN Motherboard S2865G2NR
$650
350 CPU
650 OS
dunno Mobo

Sure you're saving some. but not like last year

Desktop bundle:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor
Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS
MSI Motherboard K8NGM2-NBP NVidia C51 NBP chipset
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound card - SB 0460
$410

Discuss!

300 dollar CPU
140 dollar OS
100 dollar Mobo?
100 Dollar Sound card

Tis an okay deal for the desktop. But you arent saving that much

Is it for real? The price for the server bundle is horrible, compared to last years deal. The price of the desktop bundle seems ok, not something to drool over.

Server Bundle:
Mobo - $185
Operton - $325
Warezz - $880
-------------------
Total = $1390 of stuff for $650

Desktop Bundle:
4000+ - $334
XP Pro 64bit? - $148
MSI - $89
X-Fi XM - $120
-------------------
Total = $691 of stuff for $410

The server bundle looks like you might be able to get a cheap Operton out of the deal, Desktop bundle looks pretty nice except for the board, but that can be changed.

Here's a copy of the email:
http://js.antinoc.net/amdtechtour_email3.html

five-by-five said:
Server Bundle:
Mobo - $185
Operton - $325
Warezz - $880
-------------------
Total = $1390 of stuff for $650

I don't think it is really _fair_ to include the price of the copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003, because you're getting a "0 CALs" version, whereas the version on NewEgg is "Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition 5 CALs - Retail". The software is basically just junk, because you're not allowed to sell it, and since it doesn't have a CAL, you can't use it, unless you're using it strictly for testing a 0 Client machine.

IMO: $510 worth of hardware for $650, cold deal.

Per CALs:
Client Access License (CAL): CALs are required for each desktop or user that is accessing a Windows Server, Windows Terminal Services, Exchange, SQL, SMS, SharePoint Portal Server, Office Live Comm Server, and Project Server. Per Processor licenses are available for many of the above products as an alternative licensing method.

u8myrice said:
Prices are crap. Looks like I'm not going after all.
I had a bad feeling about the desktop combo price after seeing it included the X-Fi. :(

I'm not going to bother this year. I still have WinXP x64 from last time. The server bundle is pretty nice, but I don't need it.

Last year's server bundle was awesome even if you don't use the OS

2 x opteron 246 + motherboard for $500
vs 165 + motherboard for $600+

last years cpus were better and the motherboard was better --> all at a cheaper price!

I'll add my opinion, this is a crap deal (at least for the server one I haven't been following desktop prices). It seems like all three companies are trying to move out stock they don't want any more b/c of new things being introduced soon (socket F, etc). No tech tour for me this year.

Got the email a few minutes ago

not hot... Last year was great but this year they lowered the quality and raised the price. BOO!

I'm not going.

Last years deal was much better for me.....

I got it for free. After 2 months of going back and forth with them and the fulfilment house, they sent me the bundle for free.

I'll still attend, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll pick up a bundle. Not very attractive :(

What is it? What's wrong with this? I've never been to a tech tour but the bottom deal is sweet!

"** This bundle is intended only for solution providers and system builders.
AMD and Microsoft require a Tax ID to qualify for this or any tech tour bundle promotion."

Any non-businesses want to give MS your SSN? :p

vbrtrmn said:
I don't think it is really _fair_ to include the price of the copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003, because you're getting a "0 CALs" version,
The picture in your link shows it's the 5 CAL version.

Man this sucks. Especially the gas prices going there. I would not be saving anything. Guess I will continue saving for "L" lens...

I was dissapointed in the bundles when they were announced just recently. And now I'm dissapointed in the prices.

Makes me wish I had went last year.

pxc said:
The picture in your link shows it's the 5 CAL version.

Um .. I think that would be called Stock Art :rolleyes: ... using that logic, the other hardware isn't pictured, I guess it isn't included.

Last year, they used the same picutres, though you didn't actually get a "retail version" of either of Windows XP x64 nor Small Business Server. I guess you missed the other threads, the software is listed as "Not For Resale", it comes in a standard sized DVD case; last year the Small Business Server software was a 0 CAL version, I highly doubt they're going to give you a 5 CAL version, if you want to risk your money, feel free. Even if you get the 5 CAL version, you won't be able to sell it on eBay, as it will be clearly marked as Not For Resale. Why would Microsoft give you a 5 CAL Not For Resale copy; that doesn't even make sense! This software is for system builders to test various configurations of hardware for resale or recommendation to their clients; thusly marked "Not for Resale".

Per:
** This bundle is intended only for solution providers and system builders.
AMD and Microsoft require a Tax ID to qualify for this or any tech tour bundle promotion.
There is no way to enforce this. For instance in Virginia (and many other states); you can run a business under your social security number; as a private consultant or contractor. I'm doing it right now for the company I work for, on a 1099 tax basis.
Further, you can get an EIN (Employer ID Number) from the IRS, also know as a "Federal Tax Identification Number", this will let you give them a number without giving them your SSN.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

I sent [email protected] an email to find out if a sole proprietor can purchase the bundles.

:)

I didn't plan on buying a bundle this year even before I found out the hardware. Finding out the hardware made me not want to buy it. Finding out the price ensures that.

I still might go though...

vbrtrmn said:
Um .. I think that would be called Stock Art :rolleyes: ... using that logic, the other hardware isn't pictured, I guess it isn't included.
Actually the logic is that no place in the email or on the site does it say it's a 0 CAL version. The picture shows a 5 CAL version box. So far it's AMD advertising a 5 CAL version of SBS 2003 against your guess that it's a 0 CAL version. :p

BTW, there were no pictures of the bundle last year.

I bit.
Good deal for a spare system.
Just entered my SSN b/c I am a registered business.

They might be trying to discourage non-"system integrators" from gettting cheap hardware after the rush they got last year.

I'm not going now...I want cheap hardware :D

pxc said:
Actually the logic is that no place in the email or on the site does it say it's a 0 CAL version. The picture shows a 5 CAL version box. So far it's AMD advertising a 5 CAL version of SBS 2003 against your guess that it's a 0 CAL version. :p

BTW, there were no pictures of the bundle last year.

Okay, where does it say that you get a 5 CAL version? I re-read all three emails, and I searched through every page of the site. There is no mention of the number of CALs you get! If you look really closely at the box, there is a 5 on it, but I'm not risking my $$ on a picture of a 5 :mad:

vbrtrmn said:
Okay, where does it say that you get a 5 CAL version? I re-read all three emails, and I searched through every page of the site. There is no mention of the number of CALs you get! If you look really closely at the box, there is a 5 on it, but I'm not risking my $$ on a picture of a 5 :mad:

It does not say it, but that's how it has always been.
No CAL.

spectrumbx said:
It does not say it, but that's how it has always been.
No CAL.
Thanks for the agreement spectrumbx!! Let's keep up with good information over disinformation and speculation. :)

Speaking of good information...

I just got an email back from MarketBuilder, the marketing company for the Tech Tour. I had asked if a "Sole Proprietor" could still get the bundles, here's their response:
You can use you SSN# when placing your order.
If you can use your SSN, you can use most likely an EIN (mentioned in my post above #24).

Ah man, that is a disappointment. I might still go to the tour, but I was really looking forward to the bundles.

vbrtrmn said:
Thanks for the agreement spectrumbx!! Let's keep up with good information over disinformation and speculation. :)
LOL, talk about speculation and disinformation!

The part number of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition from last year's Tech Tour was part # X11-04730. Wanna tell me how many CALs are included with that? I'll give you a hint: it's not zero.

This year's SBS 2003 Premium is most likely part # T75-00193 or E75-01028. I'd ask AMD to verify but I don't care about the bundle. Anyone else want to call?

Wow, that sucks. Looks like I'm just going to buy a proc/mobo myself separately. It'll turn out cheaper than that crap.

depending on how much work is involved in getting an EID, I may still go and grab a server bundle.

i dont get why they include an os for the desktop bundle. especially since its for companies. wtf kind of company doesn't have a windows corporate edition already? do they expect this to b the first pc that company has?

stupid os bloating the price :(

Soymilk said:
i dont get why they include an os for the desktop bundle. especially since its for companies. wtf kind of company doesn't have a windows corporate edition already? do they expect this to b the first pc that company has?

stupid os bloating the price :(
Your statement about companies and the VLK/Select Windows (no such product as a "corporate edition," but I digress) is pretty broad. There are a LoT of companies out there who do not use VLK versions of Windows. Too much of a hassle for many small/medium companies.

Back