Technet OS question

khanable

[H]F Junkie
I am considering getting myself a technet to test out server 2008 w/ win7 workstations

I have several spare servers here at work as well as several spare desktops

I need to make sure I can set everything up and have all of our printers, scanners, and other devices work OK (we're a printing company)

Now for the question.. can I setup a mini test network using technet keys, and then purchase the proper licenses (should everything work OK) for the full software and migrate the install to a legit production key?

or will I need to wipe and re-install?

Thanks guys

Seems like you should, but realize that you get 10 Product Keys per item with TechNet Plus subs except the server-class products - while you can get 10 keys for each edition of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc), you'll only get 1 key for Windows Server 2008[/i], and that's it.

Usually not an issue for most folks with TechNet subs since they don't have a multitude of servers laying around, but I figured I'd point it out just in case you didn't know. The regular non-server products, 10 keys each edition, but server stuff (including Windows Home Server) only provides 1 key per product.

It shouldn't be an issue to set up the layout you just presented, then if you do create a TechNet Plus sub (not the standard one for $199 now, that doesn't include the server products iirc), the keys could then be put in after the installation since they're not required up front.

Personally I'd say get the sub and get started with the ISOs you grab as part of the subscription, unless you already know someone that has the ISOs (and verified them with the MD5/SHA checksums for integrity).

Seems like you should, but realize that you get 10 Product Keys per item with TechNet Plus subs except the server-class products - while you can get 10 keys for each edition of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc), you'll only get 1 key for Windows Server 2008[/i], and that's it.

Usually not an issue for most folks with TechNet subs since they don't have a multitude of servers laying around, but I figured I'd point it out just in case you didn't know. The regular non-server products, 10 keys each edition, but server stuff (including Windows Home Server) only provides 1 key per product.

It shouldn't be an issue to set up the layout you just presented, then if you do create a TechNet Plus sub (not the standard one for $199 now, that doesn't include the server products iirc), the keys could then be put in after the installation since they're not required up front.

Personally I'd say get the sub and get started with the ISOs you grab as part of the subscription, unless you already know someone that has the ISOs (and verified them with the MD5/SHA checksums for integrity).

Thanks;

I believe technet standard does allow access to server 2008 standard and some other lower level server things.. they don't allow the high end enterprise stuff, which is OK with me.

And I hadn't thought of that.. just use the ISO's and input the keys at a later date <30 days.. good idea :p

Back