Technology Eliminates Training Wheels on Bikes

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
A company has introduced a product called the “Gyrowheel” that eliminates the need for training wheels, particularly when showing your kid how to ride a bike. It’s a 12-inch wheel and fits on any suitably-sized frame. Where are my kids going to get their skinned knees from now?

See front page for video.

Sure, the kid will feel "secure and stable" until the battery dies. I can see this being worse than the Segway's battery dying. *BIFF* kid falls and cries, blood, and teeth everywhere.

^ Its got a big green glowing light on it. I don't know about you, but when I was teaching my kid how to ride a bike he didn't leave my sight. This is a pretty cool idea.

simple. effective. I like it. wonder what it feels like riding with basically a huge gyroscope for a wheel.

Sure, the kid will feel "secure and stable" until the battery dies. I can see this being worse than the Segway's battery dying. *BIFF* kid falls and cries, blood, and teeth everywhere.

You realize that when the battery dies it's still a wheel, right? It's not like it's not going to roll anymore.

Remember the physics experiment where you're sitting in a wheely chair and twisting a rapidly spinning wheel around by the axis. The gyro wheel is going to have alot more torque to fight when turning.

Cool invention, but what a waste of time. Training wheels work, and it's not like everyone is aching for something better.

Toilet paper. That's what people need to be working on. It hasn't changed in decades, and I'm sick of having to use 75% of the role when I get the shits! :)

As cool as this tech is, I won't have any of my children on it. I think we're getting to be a little too protective of our kids these days. I mean look at the playground, where's the fun in playing on plastic everything. I want my rust covered slides to instill fear in the kids as they go down it. You also learn very quickly about Hot/Cold on them. So not only is it fun/death defying, it's also educational.

Toilet paper. That's what people need to be working on. It hasn't changed in decades, and I'm sick of having to use 75% of the role when I get the shits! :)

What you need is Immodium, not high-tech TP. :p

For $100 or less I think it's a great idea. Beyond that, this will never see the light of day.

Remember the physics experiment where you're sitting in a wheely chair and twisting a rapidly spinning wheel around by the axis. The gyro wheel is going to have alot more torque to fight when turning.

It also looks very heavy. She can barely hold it with one hand. So hard to turn, and hard to pedal.

I can see applications for something like this in robotics, but to replace training wheels? Come on. Why do people feel the need to over-complicate everything they possibly can?

I can see applications for something like this in robotics, but to replace training wheels? Come on. Why do people feel the need to over-complicate everything they possibly can?

Because they can! :p

This tech, if not in this particular application, will probably find itself in other applications given enough time, and may eventually be standardized in some of them.

I'm just waiting for someone to hack one onto something like this:

gizmoduck-1.jpg

Finally ! I can fulfill my life long dream of riding a Uni-Cycle without falling over !
Hooray for Physics and Engineers !!!!!!

This will fail because it won't feel enough like riding a bike without the tech. Training wheels are off the ground unless you tilt too far in one direction.

What you need is Immodium, not high-tech TP. :p

Either that or a bidet. Eliminate the paper entirely, if that's your wish.

The company will go bankrupt after kids injure themselves because the stupid parents forgot to recharge it.

shit just use both.

training wheels at a higher bent up angle & this gyro front wheel..

lol there ya go.

I'm not sure about the dismay being displayed in this thread for creative new ideas? It's certain that they didn't bring up any faults or flaws with the concept; however, I didn't see any evidence of it being put forward as a flawless invention set to change the world as we know it.

It's ideas like this, that lead to inspiration elsewhere which ends up changing the world. This is at the very least, how I see it.

I'm all for change, and good that it may bring.

you sir, have just given me a new reason to get some lawn chairs for my front porch so that i may find entertainment in the graphic imagery that will surely be displayed by the neighborhood children.

i for one welcome our blood and teeth splaying overlord.

I'm not sure about the dismay being displayed in this thread for creative new ideas? It's certain that they didn't bring up any faults or flaws with the concept; however, I didn't see any evidence of it being put forward as a flawless invention set to change the world as we know it.

It's ideas like this, that lead to inspiration elsewhere which ends up changing the world. This is at the very least, how I see it.

I'm all for change, and good that it may bring.

EH, it just looks like, to me, they wasted a whole lot of time inventing something that isn't needed.....at all. THere is absolutely nothing wrong with training wheels.

They could have been developing something to actually help humanity out.

I'm not on a soapbox or anything, just my opinion.

This can definitley benefit my situation. My autistic son has trouble with coordination, balance, and strength. They have dramatically improved over the years, but balancing is still a challenge for him. When I take my kids bike riding I see him get upset by watching his brother ride a bike normally. This gyrowheel might be good to target the kids with special needs market.

I never even used training wheels. I always thought of the kids with training wheels as retards, and these will be even worse. Learn to balance the damn thing or GTFO. *makes growling noise at kids* ;)

Cool invention, but what a waste of time. Training wheels work, and it's not like everyone is aching for something better.

They have, it's called a bidet. Some of them even spray perfume. :)

For $100 or less I think it's a great idea. Beyond that, this will never see the light of day.

You would spend $100 on this? Holy crap, how much do you spend on a kid's first bike? Throwing money at something doesn't fix it (a kid).

actually this has more practical uses than just helping kids ride a bike, im surprised by the comments stating that this doesnt help humanity in any way, of course it does it could be deployed in a few scenarios where stability is key, seen those robots just recently? stick one of these inside a robot to help prevent it accidently toppling over.... put them in Motorbikes to help prevent accidents etc....(i even wonder if it could be deployed in some way in tall buildings, to help them against earthquakes/hurricanes/high winds etc)

and i agree, Kids with special needs wont need to feel so outta place with one of these on there bike rather than training wheels, not to mention you could put another one on the friends bike(turned off) to help them further.

This would probably cause more accidents in modern motorcycles. And, gyros are nothing new and are already used to many applications. The only thing novel here is that they stuck it in a bike tire.

.. put them in Motorbikes to help prevent accidents etc....

Actually, I'm pretty sure that with a Gyro on your motorcycle,, turning is going to be very hard,if not impossible. ....they tend to want to stay straight up....

not sure how that's going to cut down on accidents..:)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that with a Gyro on your motorcycle,, turning is going to be very hard,if not impossible. ....they tend to want to stay straight up....

not sure how that's going to cut down on accidents..:)

They could put two more wheels on the bike to make vertical turning easier :D

Back