Technology Fail of the Day

Hah, nice. Is that supposed to be automated? Or is there a person manually turning the light on and off? Either way, it's definitely a fail.

Heard this story on NPR yesterday, the guest said it's misspelled because the device is like 75 years old and probably just wearing out (analog electronics ftw?).

Maybe because Morse code is a dead language, we don't fully understand it.

No it isn't. Morse Code is still used by aviators and ship drivers as backup communications. I'm sure the military use it too somewhere. Hell, they still teach it to the Boy Scouts.

Morse Code is alive and well.

Hey back off - Pittsburgh's a cool city :D

NPR's story said that the device has been in operation for 75 years or so, is electromechanical, and was sent in for repair. I've seen the pulses but never knew they spelled (or were supposed to spell) Pittsburgh until this story.

Morse Code is neither a language nor dead.

And people wonder why I put a sarcasm tag after many of my posts... because people like you just don't get the point. :rolleyes:

I'm ex-USN, and can tell you more places that morse code is used than you think.

And people wonder why I put a sarcasm tag after many of my posts... because people like you just don't get the point. :rolleyes:

I'm ex-USN, and can tell you more places that morse code is used than you think.

Maybe you should have put a sarcasm tag after this one. Don't blame other people if you make a dumb joke and no one gets it :p

hahahahah that's great. I'm at work in the city now and I always see it. I never realized it's been misspelling Pittsburgh all of this time

laughable.

That's pretty good spelling from Pittsburgh. I mean, come on. IT'S PITTSBURGH.

The beacon on the Gulf Tower is supposed to let you know about the weather....I wonder if that's messed up too.

I've done some redevelopment work in alot of older downtown Pgh buildings, you would be amazed at all of the old shit that is still functional in most of those buildings. Everything from boilers to elevator lifts that are 60+ years old but yet still work.

It's funny to actually see a video of it. I'd still take a misspelled Pittsburgh over cleveland any day of the week tho...

I dunno...they seemed pretty much the same to me. Might have one over on Houston or Milwaukee though.

Maybe you should have put a sarcasm tag after this one. Don't blame other people if you make a dumb joke and no one gets it :p

I found the sarcasm in his post, didn't think it was "lol" worthy but not really hard to spot blatant sarcasm like his.

Yeah, i read about this in the PG the other day:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09193/983408-53.stm?cmpid=localstate.xml

It's funny to actually see a video of it. I'd still take a misspelled Pittsburgh over cleveland any day of the week tho...

Yeah, seriously! :D

Somebody must have been drunk at the switch, though. This isn't really news to people in Pittsburgh, though.. I think it was in the news a week or so ago. Kinda funny how it seems to have gone viral, though, it was even on a segment of Countdown with Keith Olbermann a few nights ago. :D

Yeah, seriously! :D

Somebody must have been drunk at the switch, though. This isn't really news to people in Pittsburgh, though.. I think it was in the news a week or so ago. Kinda funny how it seems to have gone viral, though, it was even on a segment of Countdown with Keith Olbermann a few nights ago. :D

There's a telegraph operator with tourrette's contemplating suicide right now.

No it isn't. Morse Code is still used by aviators and ship drivers as backup communications. I'm sure the military use it too somewhere. Hell, they still teach it to the Boy Scouts.

Morse Code is alive and well.

Admin Edit: (17) Posting is to be in ENGLISH only. Non-English posts will be locked or removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back