Tegra Gen2 to be 4x times faster

I think that is a little too optimistic. 3x is more likely.

Unless I am mistaken you can't go out and buy a Tegra smartbook yet. Therefore they will not know if 4x is really needed until later this year anyway.

I seriously prefer cheap over power in a smartbook. Does it play Doom? How about Quake with hardware acceleration? 720P Youtube? Dolby Pro Logic out? Then can you give that to me at under 200 USD? I will buy.

Yes next year I will expect 1080P and The equivalent of HL2 at low settings in a smartbook. But HL2 is pretty old and can be done quite easily.

I think that is a little too optimistic. 3x is more likely.

Unless I am mistaken you can't go out and buy a Tegra smartbook yet. Therefore they will not know if 4x is really needed until later this year anyway.

I seriously prefer cheap over power in a smartbook. Does it play Doom? How about Quake with hardware acceleration? 720P Youtube? Dolby Pro Logic out? Then can you give that to me at under 200 USD? I will buy.

Yes next year I will expect 1080P and The equivalent of HL2 at low settings in a smartbook. But HL2 is pretty old and can be done quite easily.

Not really sure what you are trying to say. It's highly irrelevant that "4x isn't really needed at that time", since for the same power envelope and chip size, they are targeting 4x the performance of the most powerful Tegra right now.

Chip designs are thought of and made years before (and if) they are actually released.

And the current Tegra already does all that. The graphics chip is powerful enough for some mild gaming. Besides the obvious performance increase on the same power envelope, the biggest thing with Gen2 is going to be the support for CUDA, which the first incarnations doesn't have.

Its not needed if its going to drive the cost up 2x or 4x. I know with the lower nm it wont be as bad but I really would prefer if they diddn't drag the prices back out to the 250+ range.

And that is what I am sort of worried about thus my statement of 4x isnt needed.

1080p CUDA a bit more gaming power thats fine for gen 2 in my opinion.

Its not needed if its going to drive the cost up 2x or 4x. I know with the lower nm it wont be as bad but I really would prefer if they diddn't drag the prices back out to the 250+ range.

And that is what I am sort of worried about thus my statement of 4x isnt needed.

1080p CUDA a bit more gaming power thats fine for gen 2 in my opinion.

Again, they are working on the same power envelope AND chip size. The price will either stay the same or go down, from the current ones...not up.

I do not believe that in the least. If Nvidia can get away with a price increase they will go for it. Especially when they have the excuse of a 4x increase in power. Cost to produce may stay the same but I highly doubt price will.

Snapdragon is not going to be able to compete with a 4x tegra. They will have very little competition.

Back