Temp sanity check

Zerikin Loukbel

Limp Gawd
So I got a new system with a p8z68 Pro, a 2500k and a TS120. I've got it up to 4.4k at 1.190v. My temps are maxing out at about 77-78C with an ambient of 23C. Does that seem right? I think it may be a bit higher that I would expect and need to remount the heat sink?

edit: Looks like its an air flow issue. Changed the fan direction and maxing at 65C now instead.

edit2: Getting Max 73C at 4.7Ghz. Only a short run on p95, will try more tomorrow. BCLK 104.4 ratio 45, CPU @ v1.250

P8Z68 Pro Core i5 2500k

Last edited:
I think 73c is still high for such little volts and testing with Prime95.

Here is my setup:
2500k 4.4ghz 1.33~1.34v
Hyper 212+ single stock fan

Prime95 I get 66c max. In intel burn test I get around 75c.

Re seat the heatsink, that is a little high and should be on par or slightly better then the above posters hyper 212+.

Ditch the BCLK overclock - the extra 4% isn't worth the increased risk of instability caused by overclocking all the other busses on the board (since they are all tied to BCLK). Just add an etra multiplier instead.

Blck is back to 100, multiplier at 47. Voltage is set to 1.24v but cpu-z says 1.400v. Maxing at 65 on the best core and 75 on the hottest on p95 small ttu.

Setting the DIGI VRM back to standard seems to be stable still and runs at 70C instead. cpu-z says v1.336-1.366 in this config. Low core is 60C max high core is 71C max. Is that large of a spread normal?

Last edited:
Yeah, about 10C split is normal for Sandy Bridge. You can try to play with the load line calibration settings to get the BIOS set Vcore to more closely match what the board is actually giving the CPU - sounds like you have a pretty high LLC set.

I was able to run the inter burn standard x5 and come back with a pass at 4.7 Ghz. Max temp was 80-81C for intel burn. prime95 small gives max 75C. Should be good enough for normal loads. it will post at 4.8 but I probably need a better cooling solution for that. LLC is medium and I'm set to +0.85 in offset mode giving a setting of 1.250 with 1.375ishv showing in cpu-z while loaded.

I like to use the IBT High setting (4GB) as the standard takes such a short amount of time, the cores are not maxed for very long. I have a TS120 on my 2600K at 4.5 & 1.272V temps are about 40 higher than ambient (close to 60°C) at max stress testing. While folding, temps usually sit around 52°C (33° above ambient..ish) If you are in a warmer room (I'm sure everyone's room is warmer than mine) then temps will likely be a tad higher.

Yeah I'm running it on high now (seems to be 2GB) as Portal 2 was crashing out once in a while. Intel Burn 2GB is failing at my current settings. Had to increase the voltage another .030 get it to pass.

edit: Trying the very high (4GB) with the same settings. Passed that as well. Looks like I'm good to go. I put a second fan on my TS120 as well and dropped my temps a good 5C.

Last edited:
Back