Temperature Monitoring on 2003 Server

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Have an office where the server closet is absurdly hot. Management doesn't want to cough cash to fix it.

I'm fairly confident that operating temperatures are sufficient to cause cpu throttling. The server is a Dell, the chips Intel. It's a 2003 Server.

What embedded utility would I use to monitor the server's cpu temperatures to prove this point? It shouldn't be a third-party add-in as the potential problems outweigh the direct benefits.

NoEcho said:
Have an office where the server closet is absurdly hot. Management doesn't want to cough cash to fix it.

I'm fairly confident that operating temperatures are sufficient to cause cpu throttling. The server is a Dell, the chips Intel. It's a 2003 Server.

What embedded utility would I use to monitor the server's cpu temperatures to prove this point? It shouldn't be a third-party add-in as the potential problems outweigh the direct benefits.

Windows does not provide a direct way to do temperature monitoring without some kind of third party software.

Have you check out Dell's Openmanage software? It should do the trick plus alot more.

Just out of curiousity, how hot is it in your server room? Ours is at about 82 and I am in the process of getting bids on getting a seperate heat pump installed. I haven't had any overheating problems yet.

I know Dell open manage has the temp monitoring. I have used it on my PE 4600 during the transition from spring to summer before the office park turned on the ac.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the openmanage and see if I can get some temps.

Tried open manage and only found active temp monitoring... no way to record it... unless I misunderstand this tool (which is entirely possible).

My goal is to fire up a program that can run in the background after I log off... more like a service... that will take - and record - temps over the long haul.

Open Manage displays temps actively but I didn't see any way to keep it running in the background nor any way to store the info.

I certainly don't want to sit in that room. It gets up to what feels like the high 90's F.

well an easy way to get management to cough up the money is to turn on tempature monitoring in the bios and have the system shut down at a reasonable tempature. Overheating can cause permanent hardware failure that will cost them A LOT more money in the long run.

After the first overheated shutdown in the middle of the workday they will quickly reconsider the priorities. If not, consider looking for another job because any company that stupid is probably not good long term.

B

maxedoutcc said:
well an easy way to get management to cough up the money is to turn on tempature monitoring in the bios and have the system shut down at a reasonable tempature. Overheating can cause permanent hardware failure that will cost them A LOT more money in the long run.

After the first overheated shutdown in the middle of the workday they will quickly reconsider the priorities. If not, consider looking for another job because any company that stupid is probably not good long term.

B

I like this man's methods :cool:

maxedoutcc said:

B

It's sad to say, but proving a point is sometimes the only way to get management to listen... Good Call.

maxedoutcc said:

B

+ 50,0000000000000000000000

maxedoutcc said:

B

My hero :D

Back