Temperature switch?

starsfan7

Limp Gawd
So, I had this idea for my next system. I'm not really sure how to execute it though. I was thinking about having accent LED's in certain parts of the case in two different colors, what I would like to do, is have one color power up with the machine, and stay on constantly, but have it change to the other color when case temp reaches a set temp. This would include 2, possibly 4 CCD's, and probably 16-20 LED's. I'm not that big of a radio shack warrior, so I am just curious iof it is possible to do this even.

yes, it should be do-able. the question becomes how much work you want to put into it. You can use a thermistor, thermal diode or similar to detect temperatures. These things are easy to come by. what may be more difficult to do is building a switch that changes ones a certain threshold is reached. You'd most likely need a pot, and some op-amps to build an amplifcation circuit (to make the output of the temp sensor swing more) and a comparator. You could probably do 2 comparators in order to get two thresholds, which wold give you a total of 3 or 4 levels.

levels of lighting? It would be kinda nice to have a delay, so that there is a fade, and not just an on/off. The idea is at maybe 32C it kicks in and switches colors. The effect would end up being 32C full color 1/ 33C half color 1, half color 2/34C Full color 2. Does that make any sense? Any help is appreciated, if I can make it work, it could be pretty cool. Also, I have no idea where to get this stuff, radio shack?

Back