temps kinda high?

allen1090

n00b
Im using an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro on my Opty 170. Im currently at 2.5Ghz @ 1.375v according to the bios. I have remounted the heatsink 3 times already.
I know that the temps will lower slighty after the AS5 sets up but nothing to amazing.

Ive added an 80mm fan onto the heatsink, pulling the air away from the sink. and this seemed to have worked by ~2 degrees, either that or from the last reseat.
The current temps under load are:
Core 0 - 49\50c
core 1 - 61/62c:eek:

Im just a bit worried about core 1 being this high considering I still want to overclock some more.

that's too hi.
maybe bad air flow, or ur computer is the wrong area of the house.

Try to post some pictures of your case. We may be able to offer suggestions if we can see.

case
Picture325.jpg

I really dont like how the pci-e and the cpu cables are sleeved together for about half the cable length. The main power cable is just too stiff to really get out of the way

my 'ghetto' mod
Picture323.jpg

yup, just like that
edit: there is also a 92mm? fan on the side door, it blows about into the side of the heatsink

Picture325-edit.jpg

I'm starting to think that my IHS may be a bit concave. Ive tried a few things that seem flat and the IHS seems to be low in the same places with each thing I tried. Plus with the 3-4 reseats Ive tried I'm positive at least one of them should have worked properly.

I dont really know if I want to lap this yet, I just got it on Friday.

One more thing I might do is try out the stock heatsink and see what kind of temps I get then

Why are you hesitant on lapping? Is it for warranty purposes? If not, what have you got to lose besides some elbow grease (and temps).

Good luck either way... I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

wow, I really need to replace my HS fast, if 60C is bad. My processor is at 60C at 50% load. It's an e6400. It gets up to 68C when running orthos :eek:

So I went and lapped these today, opty and AF64, but the temps are still the same so far:(
The opty is down to copper. I used 240>400>600 grit sandpaper, 600 was the highest I could find with the time I had today.
Im sure after all that the temps should have gone down a little bit even?

:eek: Sorry no pictures, forgot to take them:eek:

Back