Tesla is off the hook for allowing gaming while driving

erek

[H]F Junkie
Seems like a bad idea to mix gaming and driving [Tesla Announces Steam OS Integration: https://hardforum.com/threads/tesla-announces-steam-os-integration.2024120/]

“In its response to NHTSA, Tesla said that it only recorded a “small portion” of instances when the Passenger Play feature was active while the vehicle was in motion. Of those instances, “approximately a third” were shown to be playing video games without a person in the passenger seat — meaning the driver was potentially interacting with the feature.
Tesla is currently the focus of several safety investigations, including one examining several dozen crashes that occurred when a Tesla vehicle with Autopilot activated collided with a stationary emergency vehicle. The company also tops the federal government’s list of crashes and fatalities involving vehicles equipped with advanced driver-assist systems.”

1685617740890.png

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/30/23742199/tesla-video-games-driving-nhtsa-investigation-closed

I don't really care for Tesla, but this has to be on the drivers. If you can't drive without playing a game you shouldn't be driving.

Also the fact that they know how many people are sitting in the car would keep me away from them. Though I expect that that will be much more common in all cars in the future.

Also the fact that they know how many people are sitting in the car would keep me away from them. Though I expect that that will be much more common in all cars in the future.
Lots of newer cars have sensors in the all the seats for airbag deployment, etc. My work car is a 2020 Chevy Equinox and it knows if i have a heavy object in the back seat because when i turn the ignition off, it gives me a Check Backseat Reminder warning on the dash.

I love you can install Steam and Steam games on your Tesla.

I already knew this, but still my only takeaway from this story.

I have no problem with systems like this being designed for use by a passenger sitting in the passenger seat. Even if it's technically possible for the driver to use it somehow, that shouldn't automatically disqualify the feature. I find it super annoying how in many cars I can't even pair my phone to the car via bluetooth as a passenger while the car is in motion. If there are legit and safe reasons why someone might use a certain feature in a certain way, it should be allowed. Might as well ban cup holders so that people couldn't use them to hold a beer.

Lots of newer cars have sensors in the all the seats for airbag deployment, etc. My work car is a 2020 Chevy Equinox and it knows if i have a heavy object in the back seat because when i turn the ignition off, it gives me a Check Backseat Reminder warning on the dash.
My 2008 cars has it, it has been a rules for a few years(2015?) now even to have an occupant weight sensor on the seat for not having airbag with small childs (that can get trick by enough grocery), but I am not sure old car logged that information and were able to tell it to anyone (in real time or later on):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standard_208

Yeah meanwhile my Rav4 won't let you enter anything into the gps while the car is moving, doesnt matter if it would be useful for a passenger to do it they assume the worst and stop it first and foremost

Back