Test your banding with this merciless Screensaver!

Shaman

Limp Gawd
This is one tough screensaver, it will bring many LCD's to their knees. I tried it on a L204WT and it was banding all over the place! On a CRT there's no banding whatsoever, which is why this is the ultimate test for an LCD.

Are you brave enough to try it? I present you the Plasma Screensaver :cool:

To install, copy the 'Plasma.scr' file to your 'Windows\System32\' folder.

Then report back. ;)

My LG did a pretty good job. I did see some bending on the right a little later on, but not bad. That would be a pretty annoying screensaver though. lol

I like "Lattice" screensaver. It's like roller coaster tycoon. :p

No banding for you guys? I wonder if something was wrong with my LG :confused:

This is a good test though.

sorry for the n00bness but what is banding? how do i look for it?

EDIT:

from wiki:
441px-Posterization_example.jpg

i am guessing banding is the bottom one?

dont know what banding is, but i am downloading it to see if i notice anything odd

Banding is when gradients from one color to another look jaggy and doesn't change gradually but instead the change is noticeable. It's not smooth. Like when you put 16 bit (or less) color in windows and then you look at gradients, that's what banding is.

aeonrevolution, I was using the newest version. On download page, there's a link at the top to download all of them at once. That's the one I used.

Shaman, yea I think your LG was messed up as you had too many other problems with it also.

See this would be quite horrible banding to have:
http://home.freeuk.com/jackdodds/banding/granger_MBP_C2D_band_example.jpg

With my Samsung 205bw, i noticed a single line going from top to bottom occasionally on certain colors. But other than that everything was great.

tried it on my cheap ass acer 22" cloned with my 19" crt. noticed some banding only at certain times, but it looked exactly the same as my crt. no more banding then the crt.

ok i just tested that screensaver and this is what i see:

i just bought a 22 inch Sceptre LCD running on DVI with my x800pro card.

i dont really see anything like yours zipper0...but i still dont know if this is good or not.

btw...during that time...the image "splits" or something...would that be my monitor or my grahpics card
banding.jpg

i have the same LG, its looked pretty good really. every now and then i'd see some banding but otherwise it was pretty good

Banding seen on a NEC 90gx2, with a radeon 9800 card. Could it be the card?

Had a fun time with that--I am using two 19" Dell E193FPc monitors. Video card is listed as "NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285" in Device Manager (it's a work PC so I'm not going to crack the case open). The screenshot is both monitors concatenated (a simple "Print Screen" button followed by a paste in Paint, saved as a JPEG.)

Check out the lower-right corner on the screenshot! (that's the right monitor, bottom section.)

Had a fun time with that--I am using two 19" Dell E193FPc monitors. Video card is listed as "NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285" in Device Manager (it's a work PC so I'm not going to crack the case open). The screenshot is both monitors concatenated (a simple "Print Screen" button followed by a paste in Paint, saved as a JPEG.)

Check out the lower-right corner on the screenshot! (that's the right monitor, bottom section.)

I don't know if you know this but banding is not something you can grab with a screenshot, unless you were only trying to show how the screensaver looks like across two monitors?

Just a note, you don't need to install it as a screensaver, you can just run the .scr file (it's an executable).

Be sure you trust the source of this file guys. SCR files can contain viruses.

I don't know if you know this but banding is not something you can grab with a screenshot, unless you were only trying to show how the screensaver looks like across two monitors?

I was just displaying that so the masses can enjoy the high quality of my work monitors. :)

The only color I'm noticing banding on (sceptre x20 naga III, and x22wg) is blue...on both of them...and it might go into shades of purple a little bit as well but it's a bit to fast for me.

I found out why my L204WT was banding so badly with this screensaver. In the ATI (Omega) Control Panel, the OpenGL texture preference was set to 'Quality'. I set it to 'High Quality' and the banding is gone!

I don't know why I didn't notice the banding on my CRT, I guess a CRT is better at masking these artifacts. :confused:

Alright I think this is correct. I ran this on the computer I just built for my mom and with her Dell 19" screen and periodically there was a lot of what I understand to be "banding". It looks similar Shaman's screen shot in the left corner, but also sometimes worse. I did do some screen prints that captured this, so it leads me to believe that this screen saver does not create banding on the LCD, but by how it is generated, banding is part of the screen saver. So more generally I just think the screen saver is crap and shouldn't be used to analyze anything about the performance of your LCD

when i run it on my acer al2416w i get a weird wavy line scrolling down the screen. The kind of line you get when your watching the news on TV and there are other lcd's or tv's in the background kind of wavy line. (hope you know what im talking about) Other than that i see nothing out of the ordinary.

BTW: this was with cyclone 3. all other savers caused no problems at all

I'm getting a lot of banding on my Gateway FPD2485W. I did what Shaman did and set the opengl texture to high quality and that helped out a lot. there is still a little bit of banding but not as bad as before.

Back