textured black??

stuman

Limp Gawd
just looking for ideas on how to get a textured matt black finish on mdf for a case mod in progress. i cant seem to find many paints that can accoumplish this? ive seen hifi sudio componants finished in this way and im looking to mimic this with the case.

any of you guys got any paint manufactures that produce this sort of paint??

-stuman-

There actually is a paint that does this... Someone used it in a worklog... Crap, what's it called :eek:

I believe it's made by rustoleum.

Have you tried those hi-temp Black BBQ grill paints? That might give yoou want you are looking for. Plus you will have the relief knowing your quad core cpu with quad graphics cards can't ruin your paint job.:p

What kind of texture are you looking for? I'm a pro at orange-peel texture... :rolleyes:

What kind of texture are you looking for? I'm a pro at orange-peel texture... :rolleyes:

If you want to get rid of orange peal, try placing your piece, still wet with paint, in an oven set to 180f.

Smoothes the paint out amazingly well!

I just got an awesome idea.

What about a case sprayed in spray-on bedliner for trucks.

Or is that too redneck?

RSGunter had some textured spray paint on his Stacker build.. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1187751

I'm doing a worklog at the moment and the spray paint that I am using is leaves a nice little "plastic texture".. My painting process is simply 3 part:

Part 1 - Valspar PLASTIC primer (it goes on clear, 2-3 light coats).
Part 2 - Valspar PLASTIC paint (I apply 3-4 light coats of this stuff).
Part 3 - Valspar clear coat (2-3 even, light coats and your ready to go).

Here is my worklog: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276631

Rust-Oleum's Hammered line of spray paint is awesome for a "textured" look. I have used this stuff many times and it looks awesome. Really easy to use as well, no primer needed. You should be able to find it at HomeDepot.

As far as the spray on bedliner idea, I own a RhinoLinings dealership, and your not going to be happy with the results if you go that route. I'm not going to get all technical about why it doesn't work well, but I have tried several cases and they all looked like absolute shit when we were done with them.....

Rust-Oleum's Hammered line of spray paint is awesome for a "textured" look. I have used this stuff many times and it looks awesome. Really easy to use as well, no primer needed. You should be able to find it at HomeDepot.

As far as the spray on bedliner idea, I own a RhinoLinings dealership, and your not going to be happy with the results if you go that route. I'm not going to get all technical about why it doesn't work well, but I have tried several cases and they all looked like absolute shit when we were done with them.....

That's a shame, though I figured it wouldn't work. :p

Why not just using undercoating? It's black and textured. Each brand has a different texture. You could paint over it for the desired finish.

Rustoleum makes a line of paint called "hammered" that gives a crinkled/textured look. Its pretty good stuff, easy to put on.

Back