TF2 server thoughts...

MattyC

Gawd
Well it has been a loooong time (DoD 'beta' 3.1 days) since I have maintained a server, but my love of TF2 has made me decide to get one up and going again.

Anyway, I am a bit rusty, but I have a 24 man up and running atm, and just looking for suggestions for it. What do you guys like to see in a server? What mods? Do people still care about server stats with TF2 having built in stats (I personally never cared back then, but everyone wanted them so I had to set them up)? etc. Don't bother mentioning sound files or start music though. I loathe servers with 9gillion sound files. :p As far as TF2, do you like 24/7 <map> servers? Or ones with a rotation? Just looking for some feedback before I start.

Also, If you are interested in really being a server moderator keep it out of the thread, but do feel free to send me a PM. This would need to be someone with a good amount of playtime.

EDIT: If anyone is bored enough to drop by an only partially setup server, the ip is 8.9.31.133:27015. If you do so and don't mind, please give me some feedback on ping from your location etc.

15 second max respawn, maybe not do fort, tons of servers have that as the only map, plus it can run very long

I'll definitely check it out, the server I usually logged in during beta. Took a recent dive, in regards to the quality of players.

Dustbowl, Well, Granary & Fort, Mach2 (custom map) are the only maps I used to play. Is it possible to run a time limit on specfic map? perhaps on 2Fort ( and adust accordingly , once the newer players get used to the objectives)

I haven't tried that one, I will have to give it a look. I have loved the other custom I have played (cp_lazytown) so far.

Also yeah I was thinking the same thing about dropping 2fort, but I kinda wanted feedback from others on that first heh.

My personal preference is to shy away from well and granary since they often devolve into stalemates. I really prefer the gameplay of dustbowl and gravelpit, but again, that's purely opinion.

I'd for sure keep the server capped at 24 players. Don't do a 24/7 server since those tend to get very boring very quickly, and make sure you have a time limit like the other guys said. When a round of 2fort takes 3 hours to complete, it gets pretty tedious. As far as mods go, I don't know if it's still the case, but I know that server mods had an effect on cs servers making hit detection and such less than stellar. I would avoid mods if at all possible. It does make admining the server a little more painful, but for the overall enjoyment of the players, I think it's better.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll try to log on in the next few days to give you some feedback.

I haven't decided on well and granary yet, but I did go ahead and drop 2fort for mach.

It seems the "small" control point directional based maps work best, regardless of skill. I always get hounded for not putting up a teleporter in the first 2 min of the game in 'Well"

Also, run all of the maps. If anyone makes "classic" Team Fortress maps for TF2 make sure you run those if they are good. I haven't seen any yet but it would seem they are inevitable.

Posted an event with your server's IP on the original [H] steam community page to help on driving some traffic torwards your server

102 ping from Los Angeles, do you have gamerail installed?

I can verify that mach_2 owns.

I play more on custom map servers now, because I played for the whole beta and I like seeing something new. But that's just now, before long I'll play whatever.

I don't have gamerail installed atm, would it help?

Anyone who wants to lend a hand we are sorta giving it a min-stress test right now (12:50 et)
8.9.31.133:27015

TY for all that helped test, it wasn't many but every bit helped.

Unless we already have one that I missed I was thinking about asking for the privilage of adding a [H] and making it the Hard TF2 server. I would again be looking for some mods (dedicated users from here). Anyone intested let me know. I will ask about that tomorrow before I do anything.

Server was pretty nice, I was on it for about an hour or so before my GF got home. When I left there was 3v3 (3v4 inc me). Some clan was playing against myself and some other pubs. Best thing to do is to get at least 10 people on the server, and then it will fill up fast. Its just getting the first group in to help the server be recognized by people and have people join.

Sounds like a plan if you make this server a [H] server, clear it up with Kyle

I was hoping to, sent him a pm about it last night. Liability made that a no-go even as far as an unofficial server, totally understandable. So no [H] will be displayed anywhere, but I would like to keep it in tune with the forum community's wishes and you guys are welcome to lurk there whenever :)

I will check out Gamerail and if I can get the players and keep the ping low I would love to up it to a 32 man.

Anyone know of a Linux admin mod? Yesterday I spent a good hour trying to get BAT working only to find out that the .so is just filler and the mod is Windows only until we see the full SDK heh.

Cool, a new server, I'll have to give it a try when I get better internet. I've been playing TF2 for the past 2 weeks on a wireless connection where the router is like 30 feet away... works sometimes, sometimes not, very frustrating :mad:

Moving into our new house very soon.... where I will be wired again.... and have decent internet connections.... yippie....

Edit: BTW where is the server located? The more south or southeast the better for me... Most of the games that are under 100 ping for me are Texas/Chicago/California servers. Damn Mexico....

It is located in Chicago, IL. I haven't seen anyone ping high yet, though we have hardly packed the server and I am not sure of most player locations.

We did have a good small game of mach going for a bit last night though :)

Good to hear, I haven't tried connecting yet but I should get a decent ping.

Cool, a new server, I'll have to give it a try when I get better internet. I've been playing TF2 for the past 2 weeks on a wireless connection where the router is like 30 feet away... works sometimes, sometimes not, very frustrating :mad:

Moving into our new house very soon.... where I will be wired again.... and have decent internet connections.... yippie....

Edit: BTW where is the server located? The more south or southeast the better for me... Most of the games that are under 100 ping for me are Texas/Chicago/California servers. Damn Mexico....

Heh I'm wireless too.. not to bad except when the phone rings and it kills my signal :p Can't wait to move in Feb and not have a roommate :p

Heh I'm wireless too.. not to bad except when the phone rings and it kills my signal :p Can't wait to move in Feb and not have a roommate :p

It's not usually that bad, but right now I'm connecting through like 3 or 4 walls of cement :p I'm surprised I've been able to play at all. Computer has to be at juuuuust the right position to get a good signal or I can barely connect to google :eek:

It's not usually that bad, but right now I'm connecting through like 3 or 4 walls of cement :p I'm surprised I've been able to play at all. Computer has to be at juuuuust the right position to get a good signal or I can barely connect to google :eek:

Ouch that sucks =P

Anyway, can't wait to try out the server again, hope we get some more [H] people on it so we can get some good teams going.

How about a Dustbowl and Mach rotation for the time being? For the sake of increasing traffic to the server. Anyone else find it ironic, the most played map in CS: de_dust = TF2: Dustbowl

How about a Dustbowl and Mach rotation for the time being? For the sake of increasing traffic to the server. Anyone else find it ironic, the most played map in CS: de_dust = TF2: Dustbowl

Might not hurt. dustbowl, mach, and lazytown? Or do not enough people love that map?

It's a good map, although alot of players tend to stick on opposite sides of the map and choose the sniper class

Well I am back out of the hospital now so I will get back on setting up the mod plugins etc. I saw it get packed the other night (sat I think), anyone from there there? I was wondering how it ran.

my personal preference at the moment is all maps minus 2stalemate....er sorry, I mean 2fort

My ping results from southern OK, just north of the TX border. Ping was 56. The server did not allow me to join and showed itself as empty.
I tend to shy away from servers if my pings get up over a 100-150. I ain't got enough skills to overcome high pings.

I vote for map rotation or map votes.. Is map vote available for TF2 yet? I have not seen it on any servers I have played on yet.

It is with anymore than 4 engineers on the enemy team, I've become very good at turret removal with sticky nades but 3-4 well placed turrets on that map and it becomes impossible, especially if the rest of the enemy team know what they're doing.

I ran a popular MegaTF server (thats quake kiddies) back around 97-2000 until Carmak released the source and nothing could be done about cheating at that point.

Anywho... If someone wants to be a stud and redo these maps.... TRUST ME, they are good.

BTW - heres a list of all the maps... most of the good ones are in red, but i'll name the favs (not just mine I assure you)

aztec1

canyon1

rock2

sewer1

tater2

unholyk (although a megaTF only map, would be very cool for TF2)

Heh... those are just some of the hardcore loved maps... That list is really small and is definitely missing a couple of classics... and I would dig up the old CD with all the maps on there but i've spent enough time already :D

My ping results from southern OK, just north of the TX border. Ping was 56. The server did not allow me to join and showed itself as empty.
I tend to shy away from servers if my pings get up over a 100-150. I ain't got enough skills to overcome high pings.

I vote for map rotation or map votes.. Is map vote available for TF2 yet? I have not seen it on any servers I have played on yet.

I sorta have a map vote up, though it doesn't appear to be working 100% as of yet. Going to try to swap it out with the now-'nix-supporting BAT and see if it works better.

Is it still not letting you connect?

Thanks for the offer of running the server and letting us [H]ard folks play.

If possible... and I think it is... turn off the respawn time... or set it to zero. I have played some great games on a server where the respawn time was nothing. Lots of fun to play like TFC and not wait 10 or 15 seconds to respawn. Before you tell me that TF2 would not be the same with a quick respawn... changing the character of the game... making you play intelligent...

all I will say is... did you ever play TFC?

Thanks for the offer of running the server and letting us [H]ard folks play.

If possible... and I think it is... turn off the respawn time... or set it to zero. I have played some great games on a server where the respawn time was nothing. Lots of fun to play like TFC and not wait 10 or 15 seconds to respawn. Before you tell me that TF2 would not be the same with a quick respawn... changing the character of the game... making you play intelligent...

all I will say is... did you ever play TFC?

This has already been discussed a lot in the other thread, but TFC is different from TF2. TF2 has a reason for the spawn times as the maps are smaller. It would be impossible to win 2Fort with no spawn timer.

I sorta have a map vote up, though it doesn't appear to be working 100% as of yet. Going to try to swap it out with the now-'nix-supporting BAT and see if it works better.

Is it still not letting you connect?

It is now. Must just been a glitch or something.

I made the server 24/7 lazytown for now to try and get a larger player base. It was doing pretty well for a while, but now has fallen back to mostly empty. Not sure why.

I am still recovering from surgery, but I should be up and around again soon to promote it a bit more. Hopefully I can find a few more admin/promoters between now and then :)

you should try this party mod i saw. put party hats on the players, balloons come out instead of blood, and gibs become presents. funny as hell when a hwg unloads into a group of people and a hundred balloons fly out of the mess

Back