Thanks to [H]ardOCP members who visted 3Dfx collection

3dfx and GLquake those where the days - first time i ran it at a LAN people were seriously in awe :). Diamond Monster 4mb and many many Vodoo 2's sadly moved to Nvidia after that - and now mainly Ati/AMD.

Still got a Voodoo 3, unfortunately it's broken, it shows weird patterns at the BIOS screen.

My only 3Dfx card was a Voodoo1 - it was my first 3D card, and it was an amazing upgrade for me at the time.

I had a monster 3D 4mb that i purchased for i think 150ish. Made that card last until I purchased an STB Velocity 4400 TNT 16mb card.

Awesome 3dfx site.

Wow, nice site. Definitely a stroll down 3D gaming memory lane.

3Dfx products I've owned:

- Intergraph Voodoo Rush 6MB (the bundled game Turok was pretty fun for a while) pic
- 3Dfx Voodoo2 1000 12MB in SLI pic
- Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee 16MB AGP pic
- 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB AGP (didn't buy this - inherited from a friend that finally switched to nVidia GeForce2 Ultra 64mb I think in 2001) pic

Thank you 3Dfx, for helping the most to making 3D accellerated gaming mainstream.

The first 3D accellerated games I ever played:
QuakeGL
Turok
Moto Racer
AH-64D Longbow FX
Tomb Raider w/3Dfx patch

Good times, good times.

Had the pure 3D paired with a Matrox Millennium for GLQuake and Quakeworld, Then later on a Canopus Spectra 2500 with 2 Pure 3D II's in SLI for Tribes!! Since it's been various flavors of nvidia ever since, if my memory serves me right.

Wow, that's a really great site. I loved reading it and watching all the cards and pictures. And those boxes... Wow. I remembered how much I wanted a Diamond 3D and pressed my face against the glass in the store each time I walked by.

I had to work hard and save a lot of money but eventually I had enough until I lost it due to an accident. My parents then surprised me for my birthday by upgrading my computer to 32 MB and buying me a 3DFX Voodoo Card. It wasn't a Diamond 3D and from an unknown brand (To The Max) but I was so happy with it. A fantastic card that never failed me, I just wish I had kept it.

My own Voodoo 1 with a Pentium 200 and Quake/Quake II/Hexen 2/Unreal and some other games. Those were really fantastic times. The excitement from those days just isn't there anymore today IMHO. I would give everything to relive that feeling again.

Don't really need to bump a thread that gets zombie-resurrected by the owner every few years.:D

I really have been a slacker the last few years, still looking for & aquiring stuff but not posting as much. I have some future addtions to make on the site (very rare cards and a pile of fresh swag)

House, kids, works and hotrods will do that =)

Ever see a Voodoo II with one Texture unit? Strange stuff.

Gary

I really have been a slacker the last few years, still looking for & aquiring stuff but not posting as much. I have some future addtions to make on the site (very rare cards and a pile of fresh swag)

House, kids, works and hotrods will do that =)

Ever see a Voodoo II with one Texture unit? Strange stuff.

Gary

That's one of the fun things about the history of their products--so many odd (collectable) fringe models to chase after! Not meaning to bust your chops if it came across that way. It just struck me as funny when I traced the thread backwards and forwards, how many times it has come back from the dead.

Saving for a hotrod of my own at last, but the bills keep sucking up half the money of course!

piranha_three.jpg

Voodoo Graphics with 3 TMU's

That's one of the fun things about the history of their products--so many odd (collectable) fringe models to chase after! Not meaning to bust your chops if it came across that way.

No offence taken :D

There really is some strange stuff out there, it seems now everything is cookie cutter to some extent aside from some cooling solutions.

I'll post a few pics this weekend if I get some spare time away from the transmission in the Plymouth. Upgrading the car with a late model overdrive but it isn't painless with all the fabrication required.

Gary

Last edited:
Nice site, the 3dfx generation was in my lifetime but outside of my computer systems lifetime. I never got to play with one!
Still I do get all warm and fuzzy when looking at the old school pcbs and hs/f on those cards.
Reminds me of my first graphics cards.

What a lovely period for gamers... both hardware innovation and games.

Unlike today...

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/

Both the Pure3d and Pure3d II are shown, and the collection includes-

Pure3d TV retail boxed NEW
Pure3d LX white boxed
Pure3d II retail boxed
Pure3d II LX not boxed (need to find a boxed unit)

Quantum3d Gets my vote for greatest cards ;-)

i cant believe people were gaming with Voodoo Rush (1997) with just 6mb meanwhile movies were pulling computer graphics that are still not matched by today's dekstop gpu's.

The movie Titanic came out in 1997 and the graphics in the movie looked almost life like, and yet we still have trouble running Crysis.

i cant believe people were gaming with Voodoo Rush (1997) with just 6mb meanwhile movies were pulling computer graphics that are still not matched by today's dekstop gpu's.

The movie Titanic came out in 1997 and the graphics in the movie looked almost life like, and yet we still have trouble running Crysis.

Movies are not rendered in real time. When movies like Jurassic park and Titanic were rendered it took 2-10 HOURS PER FRAME. Hundreds of render units in farms work for months each to render a handful of frames that are joined together.

I used to love the 3DFX vs Nvidia wars on Usenet. I used to buy both sides cards just so I could play on both sides emotions. Fun times and moderated web forums just ain't the same thing.

the only error I found was in reference to the Mac video cards, they were not just PC cards with Mac drivers on a cd because there were no "drivers" on old macs... or really new ones for that matter... the card had to have a special bios with the driver in it for the machine to boot up

Last edited:
I had a Canopus Pure3d 6mb, a Diamond Monster2 12mb, and a Voodoo3 3000... Those were the days.

the only error I found was in reference to the Mac video cards, they were not just PC cards with Mac drivers on a cd because there were no "drivers" on old macs... or really new ones for that matter... the card had to have a special bios with the driver in it for the machine to boot up

Well the only thing I can say to that is I had not one but two Macs for testing the Apple 3dfx boards and if you didn't load the drivers from the discs you got nothing.

Matter of fact, those two machines were the biggest PITA to get 3dfx boards working on.

They were G3 or G4? machines if I recall, one was a 180mhz machine and I think the other was 300 mhz. I was impressed with the operating system in other ways though. One of the machines came through with no OS and I just dragged and dropped the OS from the working machine to the blank drive and the damn thing worked perfect, I was surprised as hell.

Whoa!

I remember staying late at work for days on end playing games on the rig we were able to put together because we had some grant money that was going away. SLI Voodoo2 cards and a Sony GDM-FW900 (still an awesome monitor!).

I played a lot of Half-Life, Unreal and the Quake on that machine. I don't remember what processor was in it though. At the time we mainly had dual processor Slot-1 machines though (back before Intel made it so that `normal' processors wouldn't work in dual-processor boards!). Ah, the good old days!

Of course, I also remember buying my dad a voodoo3 as an upgrade and it being a complete letdown. Then again, I'd already moved over to an nvidia card at that point.

Heh, my first real video card was a Quantum 3d Voodoo Banshee. I still have it somewhere. right now I've got a retro build to run the MechWarrior 2 Trilogy and Fallout 1 and 2.

P3-700
768mb PC133
80gb WD Caviar
Voodoo 3 3000
Soundblaster Live!
Same Gateway case as the one on the site.
Running Windows 98SE with the RoM mod.

It kind of funny when the whole game is in memory and there are no loading screens :D

Copy+of+q3d_systems.jpg

gear_banner.jpg

Some amusing new pictures =)

I actually have more Quantum3D machines than pictured, I'll have to update the photo someday...

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
Well the only thing I can say to that is I had not one but two Macs for testing the Apple 3dfx boards and if you didn't load the drivers from the discs you got nothing.

Matter of fact, those two machines were the biggest PITA to get 3dfx boards working on.

They were G3 or G4? machines if I recall, one was a 180mhz machine and I think the other was 300 mhz. I was impressed with the operating system in other ways though. One of the machines came through with no OS and I just dragged and dropped the OS from the working machine to the blank drive and the damn thing worked perfect, I was surprised as hell.

did you get 2d video? I remember loading extensions in macos to get the 3d stuff working but on old-world macs if the card didn't have a mac bios it was a nogo

also I am so jealous of those Quantum3D systems!!!

classic gaming nirvana?

did you get 2d video? I remember loading extensions in macos to get the 3d stuff working but on old-world macs if the card didn't have a mac bios it was a nogo

They would do 2D no problem if my memory is correct, just not any 3D.

also I am so jealous of those Quantum3D systems!!!

classic gaming nirvana?

Yes and no- While the Mercury and AAlchemys have awesome image quality, the cooling systems of those two platforms are so robust that after awhile your ears start to buzz from the white noise!

The best classic gaming box in the picture above is the one with a "AA" decal- It has a V5-6000 paired with a Barton 3000+ on a KT-333 motherboard and cranks out the framerates like no ones business when it comes to classic games =)

It even has enough juice to run Doom3.

v6_d3_ss5.jpg

v6_d3_ss7.jpg

During troubleshooting a mobo abou a year back I resorted to the Voodoo 3 2000 I had in my spare vid card drawer. Thing worked fine until I tried to load windows. It had been so long I totally forgot that it didn't have enough vram to run a high res desktop.

I wonder if I could make my V3 2000 run in windows 7 lol

I had a friend and fellow 3dfx collector from Europe stop by his way to California for beer, dinner, muscle cars and 3dfx hardware of course. Here is a portion of the collection he was able to check out. Its rare I have this much hardware out at one time so enjoy! Majority of the loose cards are prototypes.

100sb.jpg

100SB

3500si.jpg

V3-3500SI

Daytona.jpg

Daytona's

x24.jpg

X-24 with Fan.

voodoo+graphics.jpg

Voodoo Graphics

voodoo+5.jpg

Voodoo 5 and V6K

voodoo+4.jpg

Voodoo 4

Voodoo+3.jpg

Voodoo 3

voodoo2_banshee.jpg

Voodoo II and Banshee AArdvark.

v5_6000.jpg

V5-6000

rush.jpg

Voodoo Rush

quantum3d_set.jpg

A few Quantum3D pieces.

primary+image.jpg

Primary Image.

Obsidian+2+box.jpg

Need any Voodoo II arcade boards?

power+supplies.jpg

V6K power supplies.

lunchboxes.jpg

My first Voodoo II card.

boxes.jpg

Boxes of goodness.

aalchemy.jpg

AAlchemy and Mercury hardware.

heavy+metal.jpg

Three Mercury and an AAlchemy system.

Not everything I have but all the loose hardware. Several systems not shown along with a bunch of other swag and arcade hardware. Rampage still here but not setup, guest will attest as they were able to handle.

Gary

like this
Oh man! Are those Voodoo5 6000 prototypes? I drooled over those back in the day - now I prefer my whole PC to be smaller than one of those cards.

Also... I think "they" need to bring back 90s style box art. We need more electric purple and neon pink in our gaming rigs these days.

Incredible collection! I don't even....holy shit! Fantastic.

Thank you- It actually was much larger at one time, I sold off almost all the boxed retail cards and about 100 prototypes. Was just too much. Still have a number of arcade PCB's, Quantum3D rack systems and a ton of swag not shown. This was just what was pulled out for a guest and fellow collector from Europe.

Are you still selling? Would be interested on a price for a Obsidian X-24. PM me.

Long live 3Dfx.

These are some truly amazing collections.
I'm very impressed at those who were able to successfully run DOOM 3 with such classic hardware. :cool:

I got one here labeled

3D128
BEST DATA PRODUCTS
CHATSWORTH CALIFORNIA

probably bog standard 'eh?

Those are breathtaking photos.... I still remember waiting to play max Payne 1 awhile until the voodoo 5 5500 arrived because I knew I'd have a blast with it instead of my voodoo 3 3000. I still have the boxes, and I think even the cards.

like this
Back