The 10 Best Flying Games Ever

Wing Commander only gets honorable mention? Preposterous!

Agreed. Problem with this list is, it's not really specific to flight "sims", or space sims, or what have you...just "flying games" which is really vague. I wouldn't really even consider some of these games to be in the same genre.

It's not a perfect list, but I think a lot of the criticism comes from folks who confuse personal favourites with all-time classics! A lot of those games look like they were chosen for their long-term impact for a broad section of people.

Games like Falcon 4.0 or DCS A-10 are great, but they're for the kind of players who have no problems taking hours to learn the basics or spending hundreds on specialized controllers.

List is full of fail.
No Freespace.
No Falcon 3
Battlehawks 1942
No Janes
Even Origin's Strike Commander was more fun than half those games listed.

but they list a rail shooter, Rogue Squadron and StarFox

they're missing wing commander and corncob 3d...

there are a bunch on there i never even heard of...

F#@king joke of a list, A-10C and Flaming Cliffs not even on the list?

Some old POS shuttle sim from the 80's that I had on my Atari 130XL tape loaded game, and Star Fox...Are you f@#*ing kidding!???

It's not a perfect list, but I think a lot of the criticism comes from folks who confuse personal favourites with all-time classics! A lot of those games look like they were chosen for their long-term impact for a broad section of people.

Games like Falcon 4.0 or DCS A-10 are great, but they're for the kind of players who have no problems taking hours to learn the basics or spending hundreds on specialized controllers.

You don't need a specialized controller, you can either use the view and mouse click on the control, or use the keyboard shortcuts.

My main issue is a bunch of the games are not even flight games. I am not even talking flight sim, but flight game.

Falcon 4 should certainly be on the list. I had lasted many years even if with heavy modding. I only ever played a bit with the BMS 4.32 mod, but if you are going to mention flight games you can not ignore the sheer complexity of both the aircraft and the dynamic campaign. No game has made something as complex ever since, even DCS A-10C is more basic.

And no Jane's games? Those games were genre defining back in the day.

And no Ace Combat? That is the longest running flight game series ever (1992) and the older titles were Greatest Hits (AC4,5,0) or Platinum (AC6). How can that not make the list?

I wasn't into the flight games as much as the others but I would play Decent 3 for hours and hours at a time. Loved that game. It was very unique and fun.

List is full of fail.
No Freespace.
No Falcon 3
Battlehawks 1942
No Janes
Even Origin's Strike Commander was more fun than half those games listed.

but they list a rail shooter, Rogue Squadron and StarFox

the lack of freespace and anything janes immediately invalidated that list.

fighter's anthology defined part of my youth.

also my own personal input would be strike commander

Back