The 15 Most Hated Companies in America

HardOCP News

[H] News
How is it that so many of the companies on this list of the 15 most hated companies are tech related? Seriously, how can Dell and Best Buy end up on a list with BP and BofA?

But what are the most hated companies in America? Abhorrence is subjective, but we based our rancor rankings on six criteria: (1) employee opinions; (2) return to shareholders; (3) customer surveys; (4) brand valuation; (5) press coverage; and (6) public opinion.* These most hated companies are in no particular order.

Tech companies have discovered that having a customer service dept. in name only, affects new sales less than the costs of providing actual service to retain old customers.

Dell tried to sue me. Seriously. Nov 9 ,2005.

Got a gigantic package in the mail, it ended up being a stack of legal documents.

I laminated the first page so I could show it to my grandkids that I survived a corporation (Like how others show their war medals) ;)

Dell tried to sue me. Seriously. Nov 9 ,2005.

Got a gigantic package in the mail, it ended up being a stack of legal documents.

I laminated the first page so I could show it to my grandkids that I survived a corporation (Like how others show their war medals) ;)

Seriously? Why would Dell try to sue you? :confused:

Yeah...that's a pretty tight list.

Not so sure about Dell but idunno...

I hate Best Buy because I perceive them as being completely "Greedy", and not caring for their customers. Then again I also used to be employed at a Best Buy as a computer tech (before they had thought of the Geek Squad). So part of that perception is familiarity with how they work.

I feel the same about DirectTV. They didn't provide very good service and they grossly overcharge for what they provide. On the other hand I find Dish Network to be far superior, in every respect.

Dell makes decent Laptops, but their Desktops are junk. Still I would direct a person wanting a really "cheap PC" to Dell over HP any day. HP is the company I hate, because they don't support their products, and try to force you to upgrade far too soon.

Then again, this is in relation to their printers. And curiously everyone thinks their printers are great, but they are only great in comparison to Lexmark, or Canon, printers (guessing here). But from my experience Brother makes the best Laser printers, and Epson makes the best inkjets. I'll never buy another HP printer. If they were the only brand available I would simply do without.

So overall I'd guess these companies are "hated" because they don't provide good service. Or at least that is the perception of a portion of the population.

The only surprise to me was Nokia. Sure they've lost their relevance, but hated?

Just glad microsoft didn't end up on there since for whatever reason i still find the trend is to dislike them for the sake of disliking them...even if they are mostly on the ball these days.

How the fuck did Comcast escape that list. I don't know a single person that likes Comcast.

My gripe with Dell is their overall poor customer service - especially with their Alienware sales team. I remember during Christmas time I saw a deal on an Alienware M11x that I wanted to snag. Since there was a time next to my checkout total I contacted a Sales Representative and wanted to find out how long I had until the deal expired. He told me a few days from my initial date of contacting him. I checked again the next day and got a different response. The same went for the third day in a row. I decided that I could not trust their company and chose Sony instead.

I've had the same thoughts on BestBuy as the previous user - they are all in it for the money and they try to scam you out of yours. I purchased a laptop from there once only to find out that Geek Squad had already been tampering with it without my knowledge. That really pissed me off.

Also, Comcast (COMCA$$, as my father calls it) is not on here? Shocker.

CitiGroup? I moved away from them after I experienced all around poor rates and customer service.

I find very interesting that there are tech company's on this list. I mean I know there issues with a lot of gadgets but I would have thought other companies first. Except for Att. Their network is terrible in my area.

I agree except Toyota. Sure they had the recall, but their cars are still reliable and I am happy with their service. They pay for my insurance and oil changes.

Ya, where is Comcast, man do they suck! All of the sudden Walmart isn't on the list either.

The only issue that I have with Toyota is that some of their cars seem a bit over-priced. But, I guess that's not too big of a deal.

My Father has a Camry and a Rav-4 and I drive a Mercedes Benz. I love all three equally.

I hate United: Too many flight delays that could have been avoided, worst was a 19 hour trip that took 56 hours...

I hate CitiGroup: Have you ever tried to deal with their mortgage services.

I hate Toyota: They used to build sports cars, I miss my Celica All-Trac.

You're shocked BestBuy is on this list Steve?

Have you ever been to a best buy?...

Toyota has seriously lost track of their goals. They dipped from 3rd in quality to 26th, according the IQS (Initial Quality Studies) done by J.D. Power and Associates. Someone even mentioned that they are making no effort too regain their reputation.

Toyota has seriously lost track of their goals. They dipped from 3rd in quality to 26th, according the IQS (Initial Quality Studies) done by J.D. Power and Associates. Someone even mentioned that they are making no effort too regain their reputation.

I don't know how they calculate these numbers, but I have 2009 Toyota and it is of the same quality and reliability that I have always experienced from Toyota over the years.

Best Buy has been failing quite a bit lately. No surprise that they are on the list.

I remember - before they "lightened" their policy - that things used to be a bitch to return to them. One BestBuy I was in a few years back; a man stormed out of the store screaming and cursing because he was "Mad as hell!"

man how bout hyundai though??? there cars are freakin nice as hell now though! not sure about the power trains and stuff, but they are pretty snazzy

I don't know how they calculate these numbers, but I have 2009 Toyota and it is of the same quality and reliability that I have always experienced from Toyota over the years.

Right, and that's why I think that it's sad that their reputation is being sidelined by some setbacks. I have experienced the same quality that I do in my E-Class; and it costs less by tenfold.

man how bout hyundai though??? there cars are freakin nice as hell now though! not sure about the power trains and stuff, but they are pretty snazzy

According to Consumer Reports Magazine - the latest - the Hyundai scored the highest for a sedan category for reliability, performance, price, etc. They are really nice!

I remember - before they "lightened" their policy - that things used to be a bitch to return to them. One BestBuy I was in a few years back; a man stormed out of the store screaming and cursing because he was "Mad as hell!"

Rofl. I have to seen this at the local best buy. I did have to return phone batteries there once a few months back and it was not to seamless. Took a half an hour for this person to handle my return. Had my receipt/ everything. Ugh some people.

According to Consumer Reports Magazine - the latest - the Hyundai scored the highest for a sedan category for reliability, performance, price, etc. They are really nice!

lol..it used to be like daewoo when you thought hyundai lmao

Rofl. I have to seen this at the local best buy. I did have to return phone batteries there once a few months back and it was not to seamless. Took a half an hour for this person to handle my return. Had my receipt/ everything. Ugh some people.

:eek: Wow, and that's just for batteries! The biggest return that I made to there was a Television and it was FAR from easy. They actually ran tests on it in front of my face to see whether or not I was lying about it having issues.

:eek: Wow, and that's just for batteries! The biggest return that I made to there was a Television and it was FAR from easy. They actually ran tests on it in front of my face to see whether or not I was lying about it having issues.

:eek:

So at best you are saying they are standing still in this department while the competition has been improving by leaps and bounds.

Did you return it right after the Super Bowl or some other big event? Stores get a surprising number of people who buy big TVs for their Super Bowl party, and then return them after it is over.

Best Buy's customer support is horrible, and their sales force is generally technically incompetent (with occasional exceptions). However, I can't blame them from taking some steps to avoid the costs of having to discount open box TVs because some people think of them as a free rental.

Back