The 15 Most Hated Companies in America

i dunno about mcdonalds, they def have the best nuggets.

Do you know how they make them???

You wont like them to much after that..

dude, those nuggets only contain about 10% chicken....

Look, you two just need to stop now.

Chicken McNuggets®:
Chicken, water, salt, sodium phosphates.
So chicken, water, salt and a preservative.

Ok.

Battered and breaded with: bleached wheat flour, water, wheat flour, food starch-modified, salt, spices, wheat gluten, paprika, dextrose, yeast, garlic powder, partially hydrogenated soybean oil and cottonseed oil with mono -and diglycerides, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, ammonium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate), natural flavor (plant source) with extractives of paprika.
So flour, water, corn starch, salt, spices, wheat gluten - a protein used as a binder, dextrose - sugar, yeast, garlic, shortening, baking soda and baking powder.

Not what I use when I make fried chicken, but nothing scary.

Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
The only two ingredients in that list to even question would be the TBHQ and the dimethylpolysiloxane in the oil they're cooked in, both of which are in very limited amounts and considered safe food additives by the FDA. Who have way more science on their side than the FUD you're spreading.

Don't get me wrong, I don't eat at McDonalds, I like my food to taste, well... like food, but McNuggets aren't nearly the FrankenFoods that people decry them to be.

Monsanto is probably the most evil corporation in the world, yet did not even make the list. Go figure.

Damn them for helping farmers to grow more food. Damn them.

Sure a lot of what they've done is far from ethical, but most evil? They're not Apple. :p

*Yes, this entire post was to make a joke at Apple's expense.

Damn Jobs and his RDF. I'd love to see Apple on this list for Antennagate.

From my own experience,most of these companies richly deserve a place on the list,with the exception of DirecTv,I've always gotten excellent service from them. But how Comcast didn't place high on the list is beyond me. Verizon should have been somewhere on it as well.

And I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Was anyone else worried that their company made the list? ;)
so much fraud and other crap is going on at my job I was actually pissed that they weren't the first one that came up (at&t). If umbrella corp /tricell(resident evil) was actually real I imagine it would be Monsanto.

Just glad microsoft didn't end up on there since for whatever reason i still find the trend is to dislike them for the sake of disliking them...even if they are mostly on the ball these days.

Yeah, same here. Seriously the only thing I have been a bit disapointed with is that they haven't realized the possibilities with Kinect for PC :)

Wendy's chicken nuggets are the best....

just sayin...
YES. Out of all fast-food chains, Wendy's definitely tops them all in terms of nuggets, IMO.

Anyway, my reactions to some of the companies that made the list:

Toyota: I love my Celica. My mom has a Rav4 and I love that thing, too. Despite the recent recalls, I still think a Toyota is a better buy than a lot of other cars out there these days. The only thing I dislike are Priuses; not so much because of the car itself but because of the types of people that drive them (yes, I know, not all Prius drivers are overly-green self-righteous zealots, but there seem to be quite a few of them from my experiences - YMMV). I miss the Supras, the MR2 TTs, a lot of their older sports cars; my newer Celica is nothing compared to the legendary Celica GT-Fours and All-tracs.

Nokia: They're still around?

Dish Network: I didn't expect them to be among the most "hated" companies, but I've had multiple subscriptions with them previously and was disappointed in one way or another each time. One time an employee showed up at my front door (this was probably a decade or so ago, I was a wee youngin' at the time) and asked if my parents were home. When I told him "No", he insisted that he come in and install the receiver anyway since he had a tight schedule that day and had to move on to the next house quickly. Not very professional, and I'm pretty sure it's also illegal, seeing as how I was a minor at the time. Moving to DirecTV was the best thing that ever happened in this household.

DirecTV: Speak of the devil! Personally I've had nothing but good experiences with them, although it looks like many would beg to differ. The only bad experience I've had in recent memory was...well, this morning, when I awoke to the sounds of drilling and hammering as the DirecTV guys were re-mounting the satellite dish, which happens to sit right on a section of roof right about my bedroom. Apparently the dish moved ever so slightly as to cause one of my receivers to lose signal, whereas all of the other ones worked perfectly; I would complain about this but it's been exceptionally stormy where I live lately, not to mention that the dish was installed well over 5 years ago. Other than that they've been pretty good to me. I don't know what I'd do without NFL Sunday Ticket.

McDonald's: This is my "last resort" if I'm starving and have nothing else to eat. I avoid it like the plague. I admit, their McChickens are okay if you're really hungry and the apple pies aren't bad. The Big Mac is terrible, loaded with sauce. Big N Tasty is probably the best burger on the menu, but that's not saying much. I prefer to cook whenever I can, and if I go out, I make sure I get something that's authentic and fresh; I'm lucky enough to live in a diverse area with lots of dining options, but I guess I can see how someone living in more "deprived" conditions can enjoy eating McDonald's.

Look, you two just need to stop now.
So chicken, water, salt and a preservative.
Ok.

So flour, water, corn starch, salt, spices, wheat gluten - a protein used as a binder, dextrose - sugar, yeast, garlic, shortening, baking soda and baking powder.

Not what I use when I make fried chicken, but nothing scary.

The only two ingredients in that list to even question would be the TBHQ and the dimethylpolysiloxane in the oil they're cooked in, both of which are in very limited amounts and considered safe food additives by the FDA. Who have way more science on their side than the FUD you're spreading.

Don't get me wrong, I don't eat at McDonalds, I like my food to taste, well... like food, but McNuggets aren't nearly the FrankenFoods that people decry them to be.

Damn them for helping farmers to grow more food. Damn them.

Sure a lot of what they've done is far from ethical, but most evil? They're not Apple. :p

*Yes, this entire post was to make a joke at Apple's expense.

you are so fooled by big corporations... or else you work in their marketing dept.

before I show what makes a mcnuggets - montsanto is the fucking devil and has caused more harm to worldwide farmers than any number of blights. keep hiding your head in the sand.

now on to mcnuggets.. it's quite easy to find out what is really in them with a simple google search (stand by for a wall of text explaining the evils of mcnuggets):
Omnivores Dilemma said:
"The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable.

But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill."

Steve, how can you be surprised about Best Buy and Dell?

For Best Buy - Geek Squad. Enough said. If I have to explain that any further you need to retire from the [H]. :D

For Dell... Where to start... every single Dell computer I have seen has been a piece of utter and complete garbage. The only thing worse than a Dell PC would be an old Compaq Presario, and I've had to fix those sporking trash cans as well. I had one fellow who had ordered a Dell all-in-one unit to go with his nice Dell PC. It turned out to be nothing but a rebranded Lexmark and the flipping drivers did NOT work on XP. They caused the computer to take 20 minutes to boot because they hung the print spooler. He thought it was his antivirus software screwing the computer up and it was the stupid printer. Were there any compatability warnings or checks when he ordered it from Dell's online store? No. Did it ask him what Dell computer he was using it with to avoid this sort of thing? No. I had to force the drivers to work by hacking the system registry and forcing the files to load in a specific order. Why did I have to do all this? Because Dell stopped selling ink for his OLD printer which worked perfectly FINE, so he had to buy a new printer. To top it all off, Lexmark KNEW about this problem and fixed the drivers for their branded version of the same printer, but the Dell printer WILL NOT WORK WITH THE LEXMARK BRANDED DRIVERS!!! IT WAS @!#!@ PROPRIETARY TO DELL DRIVERS!! Did Dell have a fixed driver? Would I be ranting about this if they had?

So yes, Dell has every flocking reason to be on this list. I hate Dell, I hate their crap computers, their crap service, and their crap company. HATE HATE HATE! :mad:

I am actually a fan of DELL, they've done my company right...

Damn Jobs and his RDF. I'd love to see Apple on this list for Antennagate.

I'd be surprise if there's anything that can change the Apple fan's opinion of the company :p

Just something that I observe from the fans I've came across

*waits for zenops to reply and say why he was sued by dell*

same here!

i honestly don't think toyota will ever fully recover from this past year. i know i used to love their cars, but then i was into their OLDER cars. still want a late '80s supra to build up...

surprisingly hyundai has been making big grabs for the marketshare last couple years...and succeeding.

x2

Everyone PM him and tell him to reply back here :D

I hate BP also, along with comcrap (they don't have that name for nothing!)

You haven't worked in Customer Service. I would say 25% of the people who return stuff to the Walmart I work at lie about it. Cases in point.

And this is just in the past week (and I only work part time). Working in retail has caused me to distrust people. It's not any of you personally, it's just the job. Go easy on your retail friends.

yeah props to you guys... yeah, I mean, 99% of people are perfectly fine, some are really enjoyable, but its just that one-in-a-hundred.

no no, this isn't most loved or most missed, this is most hated...

seriously, how can you hate this company?! I've delt with pretty well all the big AIB's and BFG was by far the easiest to deal with.

alright, Phoenix333 has apparently touched on a sensitive issue, so prepare yourself for an uneditable 4:43AM rant:

For Dell... Where to start... every single Dell computer I have seen has been a piece of utter and complete garbage....

Eh, massive monolitic company is massive and monolithic, whats new? Your driver incident is a new one, granted, but Dell makes a completely average product in my book.

I donno what to do about these companies, they're so heavily systematized that it seems to me like the concept "support" is little more than a dollar value on some executive spreadsheet. When you fit into these systems life is great, you can just sort've blithely (or angrily, it makes no difference) sit by while your part takes its 2 weeks to get there, fixed/replaced, and sent back, or whatever the system demands. Anything outside of this system, the "I'll give you $500 I just need it working in 2 days!" or "The motherboard itself is fine but this daughter-board is broken" or "it functions completely normally except when you try to do this specific kind of video decoding" always results in the system failing: 2 weeks, wrong-part returned, and RMA-denied: no fault found.

The incident with Dell and the bad capacitors is nothing new to the industry, bad caps have made it into various parts before and the results are always premature deaths on products. This case was unique because Dell found out before they actually ended up in the hands of consumers... but so what? These products were already in the channel, and the margins on them don't provide anywhere near enough cash to do a recall... so you push the products out, and fix em as you get them back, get bad word of mouth and have the possibility of getting slaughtered in the Tech section of the NY-times, but what else can you do?

When your pinching pennies (which we do so often without even noticing it --its just expected that the average laptop is $700 now right?), you get what you pay for. The real problem is that when you spend the big bucks, more then half the time you end up on the same system as the guys who spent half what you did only you get leather seats and coffee holders; it still takes 2 weeks, you still got the wrong part back, and your RMA was still denied.

To anybody who's reading this who isn't a [H]ardware nut, go Puget-Systems/Velocity-Micro/etc at home, and go RedHat at work... you might actually get real people helping you. Also, please, please back-up.

Wendy's have Chicken Nuggets? That's weird, the Wendy's over here don't...

Oh, and another weird thing is that McDonald's is usually equated as globalization and the "destroyer" of local industries. Which is ridiculous, the only item McDonald's over here import is the beef; everything else is locally made.

I used to not have problems with BB, but lately, the experiences have been otherwise. It's mostly due to one thing that absolutely pisses me off and, IMO, is a sneaky way of operation.

Before Thanksgiving, they had a laptop for under $300. My wife and I had been discussing if we found something cheap enough, we'd consider picking it up. Well, we inquired about the advertised one to an associate. He tells us that they don't have any display models, which is fine, but then he goes on to tell us that the 2 or 3 left had been previously optimized by Geek Squad and that was an extra $100. We left without purchasing.

Fast forward to around Christmas time. My wife's Asus 2G Surf took a dump, so we went looking for a laptop or netbook. I'd been in BB earlier and found a reasonably priced laptop, but figured it might be wise to discuss something like that before whipping out the card. She wanted to go look around, so we went back to BB. Well, they had a few in the back, but those were all ones they had "optimized" again and tacked a fee on. After rejecting this bullshit and getting no help looking at the netbooks, we went over to Office Depot and found an MSI Wind L-series (with an Atom N455) for $249. We had to run to another location because the one we went to was the only one in the area that had sold out. However, this was a lot less hassle than BB.

Hey, if I don't ask for a goddamn fucking service, dont fucking do it!

Monsanto is the genetic modifier. Like using fish genes in a tomato, to create frost resistant tomatoes (so that we can grow them in northern Canada.) or if you want to be a conspiracy theorist, lizard genes into a human to create... Rep...ublicans!

I was a Canadian with Citibank US for 15 years. They will be cutting me off this year (as they will be cutting off ALL Canadian credit card clients regardless of credit history) on strategic asset reallocation pursuant to securitization. < Legalese.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2010/01/c6605.html

It might surprise some to know - that 1.3 million Canadians owing about $200 of credit card debt each would be considered "delinquent or low credit score"

It probably would surprise most people that JP Morgan bought 200,000 tons of physical copper from the London Metal Exchance just a while ago (where most US banks, typically buy paper metals, or stick to mortgages for their money)

Woohoo! I work for one of the most hated companies in America! And trust me, I already knew it long before this list came out. When I had to have direct contact with people it's all I ever heard. It got so bad I had to start telling people "Yes, I know you hate me, but if you don't stop complaining I can't help you."

I honestly don't think shareholder return should be included here. Everything else (except brand valuation, and even that is an intangible asset) subjective in nature. Returns should be compared with dividend yield, credit worthiness etc.

Just glad microsoft didn't end up on there since for whatever reason i still find the trend is to dislike them for the sake of disliking them...even if they are mostly on the ball these days.

Spend some time trying to administrate their products in the enterprise and having to deal with their support departments on regular basis and soon you too will be bashing your head on the concrete repeatedly just to make the pain stop.

Monsanto is the genetic modifier. Like using fish genes in a tomato, to create frost resistant tomatoes (so that we can grow them in northern Canada.) or if you want to be a conspiracy theorist, lizard genes into a human to create... Rep...ublicans!

I was a Canadian with Citibank US for 15 years. They will be cutting me off this year (as they will be cutting off ALL Canadian credit card clients regardless of credit history) on strategic asset reallocation pursuant to securitization. < Legalese.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2010/01/c6605.html

It might surprise some to know - that 1.3 million Canadians owing about $200 of credit card debt each would be considered "delinquent or low credit score"

It probably would surprise most people that JP Morgan bought 200,000 tons of physical copper from the London Metal Exchance just a while ago (where most US banks, typically buy paper metals, or stick to mortgages for their money)

You didn't say why dell sued you at any part in that post !

More shock that comcast didn't make the bill, yet small fry bankrupt charter did?

Chase has been getting worse over the past year. Cutting cash back on my credit card, and now changing the deposit requirements on my checking account. I'd switch, but every other major bank is even worse...... However, I don't completely blame them. With all the new regulations congress passed last year, they can't overcharge people who mismanage thier money as much. That means the responsible people can no longer get a free ride.

I only keep an account there because they are everywhere, and access to my credit union is alot more limited.

I am pretty happy with my student account with Bank of America, but I am sure pretty soon they are going to realize I am taking way too long to get out of college and boot me.

dude, those nuggets only contain about 10% chicken....
For real, Chicken McNuckles are disgusting.

If I want chicken nuggets, even the Pilgrim's Pride ones at the market are a million times better. They are actually really tasty. Now I want some.

Wow. Toyota and McDonalds...

While I agree with them being present (I've never thought Toyota was all it was cracked up to be), I am surprised they actually made it to the list.

Since I seem to not be able edit the previous post. Here is some context:

Monsanto

Never heard of them.

Basically, think of every 'evil corporation' stereotype you have seen in a movie, and think 'If they existed in real life...' They've been caught dumping thousands of tons of Agent Orange (that's their creation too btw), PCBs, and dioxins illegally in Europe, they've been caught bribing government officials to 'stop asking questions about genetically modified cotton' (but only paid a $1 million fine), they own patents on everything from modified pigs to modified soy. Heard of carcinogenic growth hormone given to cows to increase milk production? Yep, that's them. (They say the hormone doesn't pass from the cow to the milk though, so it's safe for humans even if the hormone is proven to cause cancer if it were to make it to you).

Then there are the things like when they wanted approval from the FDA they had someone write a report (Margaret Miller), then she left her job at Monsanto, got hired at the FDA, and her first assignment at the FDA was to APPROVE her own report from Monsanto that Monsanto's product was safe for human consumption. Really gives you something to think about whenever you read 'Well, the FDA approved it, so it's probably safe to eat.'

Citi Group can eat one. They offer no customer protection - I had to eat $1000 because of them. Needless to say I'll never own anything with their name on it.

Best Buy. What a retarded organization.

I had an issue with them in regards to transferring a balance on a 'pitch-in' card; basically it allowed my family to make contributions to my wish list (I wanted a larger item and people to just contribute what little they could.) The card was never received in the mail.

After spending 2 hours per day 3 days in a row, no one resolved my issue; they didn't even know what I was talking about. I went to their corporate site to try and get some contact info on their CEO; twitter was the only thing I saw. After two days and 2-3 tweets to the CEO, some Best Buy Twitter force contacts me. About 12 hours later, the problem is resolved - but the only reason I knew is because I went and checked it. They never followed up and replied, "Hey your problem is fixed." or "Hey, did that take care of your issues?"

I'll never do business with them again.

I had one fellow who had ordered a Dell all-in-one unit to go with his nice Dell PC. It turned out to be nothing but a rebranded Lexmark and the flipping drivers did NOT work on XP. They caused the computer to take 20 minutes to boot because they hung the print spooler. He thought it was his antivirus software screwing the computer up and it was the stupid printer. Were there any compatability warnings or checks when he ordered it from Dell's online store? No. Did it ask him what Dell computer he was using it with to avoid this sort of thing? No. I had to force the drivers to work by hacking the system registry and forcing the files to load in a specific order. Why did I have to do all this? Because Dell stopped selling ink for his OLD printer which worked perfectly FINE, so he had to buy a new printer. To top it all off, Lexmark KNEW about this problem and fixed the drivers for their branded version of the same printer, but the Dell printer WILL NOT WORK WITH THE LEXMARK BRANDED DRIVERS!!! IT WAS @!#!@ PROPRIETARY TO DELL DRIVERS!!

NEVER buy a Dell printer.
If they give you one for free, sell it to someone you don't like. Dell doesn't build thier printers, they just have someone else make them with modified ink cartidges, so you are stuck paying Dell for overpriced replacements, and no generic either. By HP, Epson, Canon, or even Brother printers.

This list makes my scratch my head...

McDonalds? One of the biggest donators/supporter of research to cure cancer, specially cancer found in kids is the top 15 most hated because their food is unhealthy? Oh dear god ... theres way more fast food chains out there with even MORE unhealthy food.

Best Buy? Cheapest in store (not online, even then still cheaper then some) for DVD's and Blu-Rays not to mention possibly the biggest selection? Cheap TV's? Relatively harmless spam from the store about using their over-priced service from geek squad? Man I can see the hatred there who would want cheap dvd's!

Nokia? Baffling...

Yea lets rank McDonalds with the likes of BP and citigroup...

For Best Buy - Geek Squad. Enough said. If I have to explain that any further you need to retire from the [H]. :D

I've never taken my PC to the Geek Squad to get it fixed and therefore don't know much about them, so I'll bow to your superior wisdom. ;) :p

Back