The 2 Gig of RAM club

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Yeah so I got 2 gigs of ram. Who else has 2 gigs of ram? Like... for VMware and other stuffs...

Of course I mean 2 gigs of RAM in a single system.

Abit ic7 max 3 / Pent 3.2 / Zalman HSF / 2 Gig Mushkin lvl2 BH-5 PC-3200 / BFG GT 6800 / mx 510 ( blue ) / ratpadz / 19 " LCD L1920P / Black Wavemaster Case / 8x DVDR ( black ) 550 Watt Antec True Power / 4 x 250 gig WD drives & 2 x 120 gig sata hitachi drives * raid - 0 boot drives )

I think that is everything .. oww and a Keytronic Lifetime Desinger keyboard and Plantronics DSP -500 Headset okay thats it worth talking about

I *thought* I did. F'n Googlegear. Well, I guess they're Zipzoomfly now. Turns out the "registered" ram I ordered (2x512) a year ago for my new (at the time) dual Athlon wasn't actually registered, so my machine wigged out when I wen & installed a shiny new 1GB registered stick in it... Of course I didn't notice since I only had 2 sticks & my mobo will work w/ 2 sticks of unbuffered memory. Oh well, I guess my "iMac" is getting an accidental upgrade. 2GB club membership is now delayed to next week, though I do have 2 1GB machines now.
I might actually need 3GB for this crazy coding project I'm working on. If I need more than that I guess I'll have to get a duallie Opteron, but I hope it won't come to that since this rig is still doing just fine & I'd rather not spend a $1000+ wad on new mobo+procs just yet.

Yeah I might actually need more ram sometime soon, I run WinXP Pro with no swapfile, its fun to do. Anyways even in VMware I can get 4 machines running, but when I tried loading a 5th one, windows complained about "Swapfile low" :( So then I upped the swapfile to 128MB fixed.

VMware config: 128MB Win2k Pro client, 192MB WinXP Pro client, 384MB Windows Server 2k3 Enterprise, 200MB Win2k Server. Do these virtual machines even need as much ram as a real physical machine? I'm running all of them without the USB and sound support to save on resources, if it does anything.

BH-5 was made in 1 gig sticks? I hope it OC's as well as the 512/256 variants..

Im speccing a new machine for VMWare use, currently only have 1gb for the VMWare machine

2x Opteron 246s
6800 Ultra

Oh yea and why I can post in this thread.....
2Gb of Gigaram ECC Registered :D

For VMWare....and stuff

woo i have 2 gig also. bought the first gig of corsair 3500 then won a second gig of corsair 3200 with neato lights showing memory activity!

Damn, seems like everyone is 2x1024MB. My setup is 4x512MB, not to mention mixed brands and speeds, but somehow the motherboard and CPUz report that its running in dual channel. :confused: :cool: Guess I got lucky.

Only 2x512 on my 2 home machines, but here at work I've got ~2 dozen PE2650s with a full 6GB of ram. :D

Uhh... you never specified in 1 machine so.. i have... approximately 14 gigs of ram..

With all my comps, I have 12 Gigs, all of which is Corsair of various levels. My main machine is comprised of the following:

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition
Aero Cool All Copper Heatsink with Jet 4 Fan
Abit IC7-MAX3
2Gigs (4 x 512 Matched) Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL Pro
Built by ATI Radeon X800 XT PE (BFG 6800 Ultra on the way!)
2 x 74Gig 10,000 rpm SATA WD Raptors in RAID0 - C: - WinXP Pro SP2
2 x 250Gig 7,200rpm WD SATA in RAID0 - D: - Storage
2 x 120Gig 7,200rpm Seagate SATA in RAID0 - E: - Backup
2 x 74Gig 10,000rpm WD SATA Raptors in RAID0 - F: - DVD Storage
20Gig 2.5" External USB HD
120Gig 3.5" External Firewire Drive
52x Sony CDROM
16x Sony DVD Reader
Plextor Premium 52x Burner
Plextor 708a DVD+R/-R Burner
Teac 3.5" Floppy Drive (Yeah, I still use one)
8in1 Card Reader with USB Port
Lian Li PC71B Full-Tower Chassis
6 x Tri-Color 80mm Fans
Vantec Nexus Fan and Light Controller
2 x UV CCFLs
PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe with Blue UV Cover and Blue UV Reactive Sleeving
Viewsonic P225FB 22" (20" Viewable) Monitor (Primary)
Viewsonic VPW-505 50" Widescreen Plasma T.V. (Secondary)

My dually P4 3.06 server also has 2Gigs RAM while the rest of the machines have 1 gig a piece in them.

Is that enough info? :)

Ajax said:
Uhh... you never specified in 1 machine so.. i have... approximately 14 gigs of ram..
Yes of course I meant in one single running system.

Nice nice Goober I like the specs :)

2.128 registered ECC Gig of ram in my main Vmware server. I don't own a computer with under a gig of ram (5 of them soon to be 7). After running performance monitor on my machine while running Battlefield 1942 and seeing it taking up 700Mb of ram I wont run anything less on a PC where I may play a game .. the 2 new PC's are going to have 512. One for the car and then a spare Linux machine.

Here's a good one. What's the Max network cards anyone has in their machine? I have 5 in the server. (all Gig)

Hell it's cheap enough, If anyone bought a game in the last year I would highly suggest at least going to a gig of ram

Yo it's Moe
Moetop

Yeah, I'm wondering when 2 gigs of ram will become the norm (if it hasn't already... )

2.5G with SuSE 8.2 running VMware 4.5.2 with several guest OS's.

MooCow said:
Yes of course I meant in one single running system.

Nice nice Goober I like the specs :)
Thanks MooCow! I did edit it to include the speaker system too. Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultras.:) Those bad boys rock!!!!

4 GB here... 2xTWINX2048-3200PRO running at 3-3-3-6 (2T) 400Mhz... no crash in one week of solid testing...:)

4 GB of registered ECC DDR2-400, with 4 empty DIMM slots to hold more, and a pair of 3.4 GHz Xeon Noconas. But I didn't pay for it. :)

My FileServer: 2 GB RAM + 2 TB(TerraBytes) Disk

Four sticks of 512 MB 2100, nothing fancy.

Eight 250 GB drives (waited like a hawk for the $120 no rebates deal to show its head) plus a 60 GB that holds the OS and DVDRom for ripping purposes. No monitor/keyboard/mouse. Just 2 power cables and a network cable are all that gets attached. I use Remote Desktop to use it.

I'm not a fan of optical media and find them to be too flimsy, the originals are all stored in boxes in the basement. I rip all of the App and Game CD's I own to it and just use Alcohol 120% when I want to play something. DVD's are ripped and converted to DivX and I usually play them on the TV via XBMC. Also put all of my XBox and PS2 games onto the server and transfer them over to the system's HD as needed.

i just joined the 1 gig krew and now i need another gig?!?!?! :(

haha im posting my specs!
athlon 2500+ w/ volcano 12 (apache gunship) / ep0x 8rda+ / 2x512mb pc2700 HyperX / geforce 6800gt :cool:

:mad:

Do you find 2G helps in games? If BF1942 does take 700MB and WXP takes 200 - 300 MB, wouldn't 1G be enough?

Of course I know wht you do it, if you have a video card with 256MB, setting the agp sixe to 256 will reserve 256MB of that 1G of sys ram. So if you have 1G, you'll have 256 MB reserved for the the video card and 768 for everything else. When you run BF1942 200MB will actually be used for the system and 500MB for the game. Does Doom3 use more than 512MB of resources? Then reserving 256MB for the video and 256MB for the OS may become a problem if the app takes more than 512MB.

Is anyone running a 9800PRO 128/256? Do you find that games run smoother if you set your agp size to 256 instead of 128? (Assuming you have 1G of RAM).

Athlon 64 3700+ (Retail) with Zalman CNPS 7000A-Cu
2 GB PC3200 (Forgot brand)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
RAID 0 (2 X 160 GB)
GeForce 6800 GT w/ NV Silencer 5 OCed to Ultra Exteme (425/1100)
Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

Dual Opteron 248 with 4 x 1024MB Sticks of ECC Reg'd Corsair XMS PC3200
I've actually got 3 of those boxes running.

Complete Specs:
2 x AMD Opteron 248's
4 x 1024MB ECC Reg'd Corsair XMS PC3200
8 x Seagate 36.4gb 15krpm drives
Tyan K8S Pro mainboard
Debian Linux 'Sarge' with kernel 2.6.8rc4

All three of these boxes are exactly the same. One of these machines is a database server (postgres) and the other two are backups for the first one.

-HMH.

wallijonn said:
Do you find 2G helps in games? If BF1942 does take 700MB and WXP takes 200 - 300 MB, wouldn't 1G be enough?
I'm not sure if it has any benefit, I haven't tested it extensively, nor do I have the top of the line video card (anymore).

But with money issues aside, I don't think 2 gigs of ram would hurt either :)

HOWEVER, you can run windows without the swapfile and then play resource hogging games like Farcry and Doom3 or what not... I still don't know if that will bring up performance much, but you know... its the cool thing to do. :confused: :p

I've got 2 gigs myself (See sig). Wonder who here has enough ram to install Doom3 or FarCry on a ram drive? Now THAT would be [H]ard :cool:

gridiron123 said:
I've got 2 gigs myself (See sig). Wonder who here has enough ram to install Doom3 or FarCry on a ram drive? Now THAT would be [H]ard :cool:
I was thinking that its becoming closer to a reality sometime :cool:

With the new 64 bit CPU's and motherboards, with them supporting from 8-32 gigs of ram... ohhhh the possiblities are endless.

Back